October 2009 - Whatcha readin'?

RedEyedGhost

I finally got out of my neighbourhood library and signed up for the large central one. Not entirely certain if it was a great idea, since I could loan non-fiction at the little one, which I can't at the big one, but whatever, its all free anyway.

I got, and just very barely started, Orhan Pamuk's Black Book, and Antonia Fraser's biography of Marie Antionette, the Journey. (this is at least the second time that I can recall finding a history book by Antonia Fraser shelved in fiction. Cynically, I suspect its becuase shes a woman and she writes about women.) About 200 pages in, i'm enjoying it. I don't know anything about the period except the barest details, and, hey, historical sex scandals! Looking forward for getting through the inbred marriages and onto the beheadings already though.

Still havent finished Best Served Cold. Just not grabbing me, somehow.

Finishing up Forest Mage by Robin Hobb. I've been really enjoying The Soldier Son series so far. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I like this series more than the any of the Fitz series (Assassins and Tawney Man trilogy). I am really looking forward to the concluding novel, Renegade's Magic.

I got around to finishing The Hobbit (in Greek).

I'm now a third of the way through a KoD by Jordan reread in preparation for the release of The Gathering Storm.

Just finished Chris Wooding's The Ascendancy Veil. I have mixed feelings about this book, and this series. On the one hand, I liked the story, there were some nice concepts, and the oriental flavor was cool. On the other hand, the writing was long-winded and over descriptive, and at times made this series a chore to read. All-in-all a decent series which could have been a lot better.

Now probably going to read either Blood of the Mantis by Adrian Tchaikovsky, or Lord of Silence by Mark Chadbourn.

Just finished Contract by Si Spurrier. It was a very good story, with some wonderful imagery, but it was dragged down a bit by excessive repetition and Overzealous Use Of Capitalization. I have moved on to Canticle by Ken Scholes, which immediately struck me with a nostalgic longing to reread the first. Considering the very large stack of books waiting to be read, this is not going to happen. Still, loving the book, though I find myself forced away from it often by the desire to make it last.

Just started reading Acacia: The War with the Mein by Durham. It has bee sitting in a "To Be Read" pile for over a year now. The release of the second book in the trilogy inspired me to start the series. I am glad I waited until now. It is really good, and as soon as I finish this I will move on to the second book, The Other Lands.

And then I will be sad because I will have to wait for the final book in the series. Maybe I should have waited a little longer before starting :unsure:

Finished My Dead Body by Charlie Huston - 8/10 - There were many things in this book that I liked, some that I loved, and a couple of things that annoyed the hell out of me. Usually I love Charlie's dialogue, but there was a lot of spots where the characters would start a sentence stop and start it back up again or say only partial sentences. A little of this is fine, but I felt there was way too much of it here. I loved the underlying mythology throughout the whole series. But my favorite thing in this book is Hurley - just an awesome character.

Starting Peter & Max by Bill Willingham

Finished The Company by K. J. Parker. The story about five war veterans retiring to an island , while simple, is well developed and remains interesting throughout. I also like how the story is fantasy in name only. If it weren't for the place names, the whole thing could have easily taken place in our world. The tone of the book is very dark, but I found this really fitting. I was surprised to see the dark tone complimented by very dark (but amusing and fitting) humour. I've noticed that reviews for this book are a bit mixed; I guess it's one those love it or hate it novels. I personally enjoyed it a lot.

I just finished Redemption Ark by Alastair Reynolds. I thought it was a decent sequel to Revelation Space, though I still like the first book more. Maybe I was in too much of a hurry to finish it, or I wasn't in the proper mood when I started, but it felt like the book didn't have quite enough story for it. The book also felt a bit disjointed, what with the separate plots and themes. Luckily, it finally redeemed itself in the last 50 pages.

Next up will be Canticle by Ken Scholes, which I'm looking forward to.

I finished A Shadow in Summer yesterday. It started slowly, but then built up. I was enjoying it a lot for a while. The ending fell a little flat though. Not sure why exactly, but it just didn't quite do it for me. I'm interested enough to check out the next one though.

Currently reading Julian by Gore Vidal (another board rec, thanks mash!)

Finished reading the first 3 Drenai books by David Gemmell - not sure why I never read them before now. Great larger than life characters, quite the fun reads. Now will have to get the rest.

Followed those up with Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding. Another fast, fun read especially for fans of the TV show Firefly. Could not get Nathan Fillion's image out of my mind for Frey .

Now starting Stephen Deas' Adamantine Palace. Not a huge dragon fan but so far so good.

Immersed myself in a reread of 7 of my Liaden books (Sharon Lee/Steve Miller) for a touch of feel-good, comfort books. Then on to a reread of Ken Scholes Lamentations to refresh for Canticle, now half way through and enjoying thoroughly. Looking forward to the next book in the series already. Does anyone know how many books there will be in this series?

About 50 pages into Graham Joyce's The Tooth Fairy.

This book is really, really fucked up.

In a gloriously brilliant way.

That's what I thought as well at first then...

SPOILER: the tooth fairy
it became tiresome when the fairy did nothing but tormenting a kid

I just re-read The Prince and the Pauper by Mark Twain and I'm happy I did after so many years.

So I just finished An Instance of the Fingerpost, an absolutely brilliant novel set in Restoration Engand. It deals with the murder of Dr Groves, a fellow of Oxford university and is told through the eyes of fur protagonists. These four people are all unreliable to one extent or another, and it falls to the reader to sift reality from fiction. At the backdrop to all these events is mid 16th century English society, which is in turmoil due to the 'papist' menace, and treachery at the highest levels of government. This is also a period of great scientific achievement, and it is no surprise that Robert Boyle, John Locke and John Wallis feature prominently in the book.

But the book is much more than just a detective novel, and the fate of Sarah Boyle, a servant girl of Groves, is what elevates it to a whole another level (and provides the book its soul as well). The only criticism I can offer about the book is that it is paced a bit slowly and the protagonists can be a bit wordy. But still, an excellent read.

Archived