Who is the bravest by known actions

Ninepenny King

Sometimes fighting skill does not equal bravery Who do you think has braved the most impossible situations...... well to start the ball rolling

Yoren- dieing at the hold fast kind of alamo esq

Qhoren half hand- literaly saved jons life with his death

Bronn- takeing a 1 v1 battle he had no part off defending tyrion

Arthur Dayne- and company 7 vs 3 when they could have ran

and now for some sarcasm

Robb- For showing up at the red wedding after Breaking his promise to Walder Frey who everyone knew had little man syndrome. Now that takes some real balls there.

Syrio. It makes me teary eyed thinking of it. :bawl:

I'll offer Barristan Selmy as another name on this list -- walked away from the offer of a comfortable retirement for the sake of his honour. Refused to carry a sword until one was bequeathed to him by his Queen. Would willingly have died at her command if she deemed it necessary.

Syrio. It makes me teary eyed thinking of it. :bawl:

I almost didn't think of Syrio as being that brave in his last(maybe) stand. Mostly because he was probably so sure that he could totally rape all of those guards and Meryn that it wasn't like Qhorin or Yoren, where death was pretty assured.

I almost didn't think of Syrio as being that brave in his last(maybe) stand. Mostly because he was probably so sure that he could totally rape all of those guards and Meryn that it wasn't like Qhorin or Yoren, where death was pretty assured.

Syrio knew he was going to die when he faced a bunch or armred guards alone with a wooden sword. Most importantly, he had plenty of chances to save his life and choose to give a fight to give Arya time to flee. So I'd also say Syrio.

I wouldn't call Barristan the bravest man in the books. Being brave would have been having stood against Robert when he planned Dany's murder. IMO, her departure to Dany have more to do with being proud than bring brave.

In the same way, there's more gred than braveness in Bronn. He fought for money because that's what he is, a sellsword. He saw he could win Vardis and he voluntered. But was he brave when he refused to face Gregor?

In the same way, there's more gred than braveness in Bronn. He fought for money because that's what he is, a sellsword. He saw he could win Vardis and he voluntered. But was he brave when he refused to face Gregor?

I agree with regards Bronn vs Vardis, he saw an opportunity to put himself in the good graces of a very rich man in Tyrion, and thought he had a good enough chance to take down Vardis - so that wasn't bravery, it was confidence and greed.

Refusing to face Gregor is survival instinct - he didn't think he would survive against a frothing beast like Gregor so he didn't see it as worth his effort just to lay his life down. Sure it didn't do him any more favours with Tyrion but he had to weigh up his options, and chose the safer route.

Pod, for taking on and beating one of the Kingsguard to save Tyrion.

:agree:

I definitely agree with this. He was just a young squire. Do we get many details about how it exactly played out with Pod and Moore? :fence:

Also, I would say that Arya has shown dozens of truly brave actions, no?

:agree:

I definitely agree with this. He was just a young squire. Do we get many details about how it exactly played out with Pod and Moore? :fence:

He basically knocked him over the side of a ship. Moore was heavily armored and trying to attack Tyrion at the time, and therefore off-balance. When he hit the water he was unable to swim and just sank and drowned.

I wouldn't call Barristan the bravest man in the books. Being brave would have been having stood against Robert when he planned Dany's murder. IMO, her departure to Dany have more to do with being proud than bring brave.

This isn't a good example. "Bravery" would only have been an issue if he failed to do what he saw as the right thing because he was afraid to, for whatever reason. This was clearly not the case. Before his dismissal by Joffrey, Barristan was completely devoted to the primary mission of the Kingsguard: protecting and serving the King. He never saw it as his place to challenge Robert, just as he never challenged Aerys despite Aerys' madness and cruelty.

While there is a good argument that the Kingsguard is fundamentally an immoral (or at best amoral) organization which will put service to the King over any considerations of right and wrong, it would be inaccurate to say that any member of the Kingsguard who followed his oaths (even when doing the "wrong" thing) was a coward.

Barristan the Bold rescuing the Mad King, by himself and slaying men on the way. His act alone saved a king and countless lives that could have been lost in the oncoming siege.

Then when Joffrey stripped him of his position as Lord Commander, he stripped off his armor to show off his geek-god body, making every girl in the courtroom wet.

Complete badass.

Would somebody refresh me what was the name of the guy of the NW that remained opposing alone against the wildings attack - covering Jon & co retreat. He is my #1

Otherwise I consider that Jamie entering the pit to fight bear was very brave and sefless act. Also Catelyn fighting VS dagger barehanded, Sansa crossing Eerie - helping others to stand brave and pass, Jory Casel - the day he died; Syrio no doubt; as well as Pod... and many others for sure... (Sam vs Other - by Ned's standards shall be included too BTW)

From those proposed by the OP

- Yoren is my favorite. His talk with the leader of the crimson guards in ACOK is classic badassary - IMHO.

Would somebody refresh me what was the name of the guy of the NW that remained opposing alone against the wildings attack - covering Jon & co retreat. He is my #1

His name was Squire Dalbrige. If Roi Woodt hadn't posted it I don't think I would have remembered it though. Dudes got a funny name.

Archived