Who is the bravest by known actions

Ninepenny King

His name was Squire Dalbrige. If Roi Woodt hadn't posted it I don't think I would have remembered it though. Dudes got a funny name.

Well let's then honor the Unknown Warrior and the Holy Mother...

(and thanks for the name provided.)

If you go by that line of Ned's that says that the only time a man can be brave is when he's afraid, that probably makes Samwell Tarly the bravest man in the series. He's afraid of everything, yet still goes ranging beyond the Wall and kills an Other.

If you go by that line of Ned's that says that the only time a man can be brave is when he's afraid, that probably makes Samwell Tarly the bravest man in the series. He's afraid of everything, yet still goes ranging beyond the Wall and kills an Other.

Why not?

Only the fool or insane would face easy a powerful/mighty opponent.

OTOH One shall always have the mantra 'never give up' within easy reach of his mind.

and I admit it's easier said than done.

Donal Noye.

A one-armed armorer single-handedly (ha ha) takes on the King of the Giants. He was just simply the $#!+.

Donal Noye gets my vote as well.

How about ...

Davos - Didn't ever hesitate to speak his mind or to smuggle Robert's bastard out much to his liege lord's (and the scary red lady's) displeasure

Mance - Walking into Winterfell ... twice has to take some balls

I defiantly agree, especially when you think of how terrified most of the NW become around them. Or the first scene of GoT when the guy jumps out of the tree and basically sh*ts himself, or the brother who had the horses who Ned beheads...so terrified he fled the wall and was happier to enjoy the taste of ICE rather than remember what had happened. This makes Sam the Slayer = Sam the Uber Slayer in my mind. +1 for sam!

I defiantly agree, especially when you think of how terrified most of the NW become around them. Or the first scene of GoT when the guy jumps out of the tree and basically sh*ts himself, or the brother who had the horses who Ned beheads...so terrified he fled the wall and was happier to enjoy the taste of ICE rather than remember what had happened. This makes Sam the Slayer = Sam the Uber Slayer in my mind. +1 for sam!

In direct connection with your remarks -

young 'jedai' Ser Vaymar Royce (AGOT prolog) so young so naive - still he fought bravely against the others. Perhaps he was afraid too yet he showed boldness.

Jaime - Putting an end to Arys, leaping into the bear pit at Harrenhal and making the Starks pay for his capture in the Whispering Wood with as much blood as possible before he's taken.

Brienne - Facing seven i AFfC, two of them Rorge and Biter.

Syrio - How hard would it have been to knock out Arya, hand her over and collect a fat bounty?

Eddard - Going in front of a crowd of tens of thousands and denounce yourself, your honour and everything you stand for.

Davos - Speaking his mind to Stannis after Lrd Florent suggests attacking Crackclaw's lands, especially with that pyromantic bitch Melisandre lurking in the background.

Daenerys - After all that happened to her in AGoT, coming back like she did...you've got to respect that.

The Red Viper - Facing the Mountain in single combat. For vengance or whatever, accepting to duel Gregor Clegane on another's behalf is almost sickening...

And finally, the ranger who accepts his fate and stays behind to die. Imagine being alone in the dark wastes beyond the wall like that, knowing that your death approaches. *shudder*

To me, one of the bravest and most admirable acts in the series is Jaime killing the Mad King.

Slaying the Mad King? Meh.

Hunting down every single one of the Pyromancers that knew about Aerys' and Rossert's plan and then not telling anyone you did it because you were so disillusioned?

That's awesome, not sure about brave though, his father had the city, and the pyromancers were old men who never handled a weapon their entire lives and their magic didn't work since there were no dragons about. Jaime vs. all them wizened pyromancers after Dany's dragons had been born, and them having skills greater than the fire-ladder summoning dude Dany sees, now that would be a fight.

Donal Noye is pretty awesome.

Red Viper, not sure if he's brave though, being cocksure isn't the same as being brave.

Pretty much anyone of the Night's Watch who's seen an oncoming Zombie Apocalypse and not deserted ASAP for the Summer Isles has my vote.

:agree:

I definitely agree with this. He was just a young squire. Do we get many details about how it exactly played out with Pod and Moore? :fence:

Uh, so shoving someone from behind so that they drown in their armor is a brave action? :)

I think Jon Snow has done some pretty brave things.

But I think my favorite is Sam killing the Other.

What about Strong Belwas...I mean you have to have a pretty big sac to let everyone you fight cut you first.

I don't think that's bravery, I think he's a bit dim really.

For me, it's Yoren. Or the Hound. He is mortally afraid of fire, yet went into it a number of times. Eventually it was too much, but I think he's fairly afraid. He's also afraid of his brother yet stepped up against him for Loras Tyrell, who he had no reason to care about.

So for me the Hound is the bravest.

Slaying the Mad King? Meh.

Hunting down every single one of the Pyromancers that knew about Aerys' and Rossert's plan and then not telling anyone you did it because you were so disillusioned?

That's awesome, not sure about brave though, his father had the city, and the pyromancers were old men who never handled a weapon their entire lives and their magic didn't work since there were no dragons about. Jaime vs. all them wizened pyromancers after Dany's dragons had been born, and them having skills greater than the fire-ladder summoning dude Dany sees, now that would be a fight.

It's brave not because it was physically dangerous. It's brave because he must have realized what it would mean for him to kill his king. To be forever remembered as the treacherous Kingslayer, while in fact he saved the lives of everyone in King's Landing. And then not to tell anyone, because he knows that there is no point of excuses once the deed is done. He willingly chose to spit in the face of all traditions and vows, just because there was no time and someone had to quickly do what he did. If that's not brave, especially since he lived in a hidebound society like Westeros, then I don't know what is.

The killing of the pyromancers wasn't that brave. I specifically mentioned only the murder of Aerys.

It's brave because he must have realized what it would mean for him to kill his king. To be forever remembered as the treacherous Kingslayer, while in fact he saved the lives of everyone in King's Landing.

He didn't realize at all, he expected to be some sort of hero and sat down on the iron throne. Only after Ned walked in, he knew that it wouldn't be like that.

Syrio knew he was going to die when he faced a bunch or armred guards alone with a wooden sword. Most importantly, he had plenty of chances to save his life and choose to give a fight to give Arya time to flee. So I'd also say Syrio.

Yeah, except he totally dismantled the five armed guards without breaking a sweat. Something he knew he could do. And if he didn't think he could take Meryn with naught but a wooden sword then why wouldn't he have picked up one of the five swords on the ground around him? Either he had an unnecessary deathwish or he knew(thought) he could handle Meryn without any trouble. Either one takes away form the super-bravery factor.

Archived