Who is the bravest by known actions

Ninepenny King

It always did nagg at me that Syrio didn't pick up one of the other swords, him + arya would have made splendid time to Riverrun or Winterfel I think, woulda loved to see what ppl on the road would of thought when Syrio broke all their joined and walked off. :( :(

I wish we had certain knowledge of his ending, I believe all we get is "[ser Meryn] tried to take the younger one as well, but he damned dancing teacher interfered." or something like that...

Bravery requires a choice between a safe/easy option, and a dangerous/difficult one. Arya is not being specially brave. She is mostly surviving. Though she did go back and saved people from the fire. That bit was brave.

Also, being brave while following orders is not quite it. There is a certain feeling that you don´t have a choice after all (don´t know how much of a choice the Hound had when he faced the fire on the Blackwater). Volunteering or coming up with one´s own scheme is brave (Qhorin). Fighting for your life, even if you are facing monsters, is not brave (Sam is never brave).

Tyrion is brave when leading the sortie at KL since he decides it on his own (less so when he leads his clansmen against Bolton, since he can´t refuse his father and not do it).

Jaime going into the pit after Brienne was brave, since getting some archers shoot the bear would have been pretty reasonable and much safer. His offing of Aerys was pretty brave too. Not in a "risking a mortal danger", but in a "thinking for oneself in a world of blind obedience" sort of way. Brienne is brave in the same way: being "different", insisting on being a knight.

Bravery requires a choice between a safe/easy option, and a dangerous/difficult one. Arya is not being specially brave. She is mostly surviving. Though she did go back and saved people from the fire. That bit was brave.

Some would say that the choice of survival (difficult) rather then acceptance (easy option) of death is a brave option. As per the oft repeated idiom - 'Sometimes heroes are those that did do their jobs'.

And I would nominate Brienne as being brave. Stupid. But brave.

Bravery requires a choice between a safe/easy option, and a dangerous/difficult one.

While its well said and definitelly there is truth there I do not think we shall completely exclude any self-defensive (or family, motherland defensive etc.,) actions from the equotation there.

One more thing. Theon would be one of the best claimants as per your nomination above. (I mean we must also impose some disqualifing rules - moral binded or otherwise preventing egocentric types in the midle of their immaturity)

While its well said and definitelly there is truth there I do not think we shall completely exclude any self-defensive (or family, motherland defensive etc.,) actions from the equotation there.

One more thing. Theon would be one of the best claimants as per your nomination above. (I mean we must also impose some disqualifing rules - moral binded or otherwise preventing egocentric types in the midle of their immaturity)

Let´s disagree a little more ;).

For me, "brave" means no more than "more willing then the rest to risk one´s wellbeing (life/position/property) for some kind of a gain/noble cause/whatever". That´s why one can hardly be brave when said wellbeing is already at risk: those would be defensive actions.

Also, it does not equal "honorable" or "good" or any other moral quality in any way. Many villains are brave. In fact, most of them are. Euron, for instance, for sailing beyond Valyria and setting up daring attacks, is very "brave", and otherwise a full-fledged monster. And yes, Theon can be said to be brave in his actions while taking and staying at Winterfell. The fact that we don´t like him has nothing to do with this.

Sorry for over-analysing this :).

Let´s disagree a little more ;).

For me, "brave" means no more than "more willing then the rest to risk one´s wellbeing (life/position/property) for some kind of a gain/noble cause/whatever". That´s why one can hardly be brave when said wellbeing is already at risk: those would be defensive actions.

Interseting...

But I wonder that.

Why should we exclude selfdefensive actions from the equation and let all other self-interest motivated activities to compete. (being brave for satisfying you ego is not too much different.)

I understand your idea is claiming that being brave in selfdefense is a nonsense because you are saving your life (for example) so its act of necessity or more precisely counteracting (may be in the best possible way).

Still it is not 100 % true. (from the world of ASOIAF I now recollect for one of Arya's companions - Loomy Greenhands or something like that and his notorious 'I yield'. It was very funny when he was complaining when they left him alone in the bushes 'what shall I do if wolves come? he asked 'Yield'- Arya replied the story retaled as from my memory).

As Bran asks Ned: Can a man be brave when he is afraid? And Ned replies: That's the only time a man can be brave.

My conclusion is that Sam Tarly is the bravest of all characters, because he's the only one who actually admits to be afraid and STILL faces his choices to do the right things. Like saving Gilly, killing Others, beating up desertors and scheming an election.

Of course that makes Gregor or Jaime or Oberyn the less bravest, because they aren't afraid of anything.

As Bran asks Ned: Can a man be brave when he is afraid? And Ned replies: That's the only time a man can be brave.

Ned was cosidered as one of the most honorable men in the Realm (independently of whatever the meaning of that strage word could be)

Still he died dishonoring (or disgracing) him self making a public avowal of his 'crimes and dishonor'.

Above he was even nominated for bravery of that very deed. (Which idea actually I like)

My slightly off topic imagination provoked by your post then did that:

fictitious conversation:

some young Stark (pup-wolf): Can a man be honorable when he dishonors him self in sacrifice for someone else?

Ned: That's the only time a man can be truly honorable.

some young Stark (pup-wolf): Can a man be honorable when he dishonors him self in sacrifice for someone else?

Ned: That's the only time a man can be truly honorable.

I realy like that! Though, I think we can all agree that it´s not the only time a man can truly be honorable. Just like the statement "the only time a man can be brave is when he´s afraid" is nice and tagline deserving, but not 100% true. Is Sandor Clegane brave only when fighting fire? I don´t think so.

I think I can agree with Dreadwolf´s post above. I actually dislike and distrust any absolutes, but seemingly am setting one myself in the "bravery is impossible while acting in self-defence" statement. Still, I can´t think of any examples from the books that would serve to illustrate the contrary. Maybe I´m just biased? For instance, I think Ned was being honorable and a good man when publicly admitting treason, but not specially brave. He is not a monster, so I imagine that he loves his kids more then he loves his honor. Sure dishonoring himself is humilliating and traumatic for him, but it´s hardly ever a choice. For me, bravery for Ned would have been holdng onto the "Joffrey is a bastard" claim no matter what. That would have been the hard choice: follow his knowledge/beliefs and risk tragic sacrifices.

Archived