Dragon Age: Origins: Thread III [some SPOILERS]

Tobin

See anything? I downloaded it, and put the opening music in my IPod. What was I supposed to see? smile.gif

Oh, while I'm posting here, someone found and linked to your Team Alistair shirt design over on S_I_B.

Not the standard soundtrack - the quiet ambient background stuff that you hear just standing around wherever.

Re: shirt -

Crap, guess I should check the page again - I didn't tweak the prices yet. Thanks.

(3 people ordered yesterday, but the sales report is weird - looks like CP added a commission anyway, but higher than I would have put.)

You guys keep talking about archers, but how can I afford arrows at 25s per arrow? Am I missing something?

Is there a char editor to fix your messed up char speccing? I played around with a bunch of different builds, and have turned half my characters into complete garbage. Only smart thing I successfully did was take healing and do arcane warrior on my main char... but looking back, I'd have spec'd properly for arcane warrior and take better early skills (originally was planning 2 AOE chars with me and morri). Morri and lelain are completely misspec'd unfortunately.

Currently I'm rolling with alistair (sword and shield), my arcane dipshit, wynn for heals, and lelaine. Should I go with sword/shield and plug in another mage?

Also, I got my wife to start playing as well (forced her to play on easy). Her only complaints were that she hated controlling multiple chars, and she wanted more story and less fighting.

You guys keep talking about archers, but how can I afford arrows at 25s per arrow? Am I missing something?

Is there a char editor to fix your messed up char speccing? I played around with a bunch of different builds, and have turned half my characters into complete garbage. Only smart thing I successfully did was take healing and do arcane warrior on my main char... but looking back, I'd have spec'd properly for arcane warrior and take better early skills (originally was planning 2 AOE chars with me and morri). Morri and lelain are completely misspec'd unfortunately.

Only magic arrows cost money. Standard ones are free and unlimited.

There is a mod called "respec" I think, which allows you to redo any character you want.

Well, the Revenant in Redcliffe Castle is the easiest in the entire game, it's not even a full blown "boss" creature.;)

Defending the village isn't that hard if you've got a mage. Cone of cold, sleep and the like work wonders. Plus you can heal wounded militia members.

As you said later in the thread, enemies only scale so far. I did Redcliffe first right after Lothering, so the Revenant kicked my ass - never mind it was the very first one I encountered in the game and so wasn't yet sure how to deal with it...but once I worked out my strategy (mostly involving getting rid of its minions first), it wasn't so bad.

It was weird for me in that I had more problems keeping the knights alive up top then the militia alive down bottom. The issue up top wasn't the enemies. It was the stupid oil to light the barricades on fire. My allies were determined to fight the darkspawn in the middle of the fire. Wynne is good, but she's not that good. I managed to do it by letting a couple people through my lines and having the enemy fight way back of the fire with the allied units.

Don't even mess with those barricades, just let them send 1, 2 or 3 darkspawn at a time through, and gang up on them. I never even came close to losing a single guy. Maybe once they sent 4 at once, but with my 4 guys and the like 8 or 10 knights, it's no problem.

I did Redcliffe first right after Lothering, so the Revenant kicked my ass

That's why I put the emoticon in there, of course it's difficult if it's the first one you fight as it was for me, too, on my first character. It was only on my second that I realised it's actually weaker than all the other Revenants (how many are there all told? 10? A total of 5 in the Brecilian Forest, one in a random encounter in Denerim, one in the Circle tower, one in Redcliffe, one in the Royal Palace in Orzammar and one in the Deep Roads are what I remember), which, again, makes sense since Redcliffe is a likely first destination after Lothering. Plus it's the only Revenant you really have to fight.

Aye for the defence at the top I had such an easy time of it 2nd time round, the knights and co quite happily sat the safe side of the fire and never ran into it, and the militia was just a case of wynn healing everyone and bobs your Uncle.

My first time through was hilarious, I missed alot of the things that help make the fights easier, so the first time I just ran up the hill into alot of them and tanked the entire wave of everything just with my 4 characters and without the tanks help, lots of pots where used thankfully I was a 2 hander nutter at the time with aoe moves to punch peoples faces in. So if you want to make the first part "hard" do that.

That's why I put the emoticon in there, of course it's difficult if it's the first one you fight as it was for me, too, on my first character. It was only on my second that I realised it's actually weaker than all the other Revenants (how many are there all told? 10? A total of 5 in the Brecilian Forest, one in a random encounter in Denerim, one in the Circle tower, one in Redcliffe, one in the Royal Palace in Orzammar and one in the Deep Roads are what I remember), which, again, makes sense since Redcliffe is a likely first destination after Lothering. Plus it's the only Revenant you really have to fight.

There are six Corpse Walkers in various parts of the kingdom, those are the ones that come from the phylacteries and with each one you kill it updates that one page of your Codex. They are at: Circle Tower, Orzammar Palace, Deep Roads, Denerim and there are two in the forest ruins. Then there's Redcliffe and the ones guarding the Juggernaut armor (I think three or four of those, I killed two), so yeah, that's ten or eleven in the game. The Dragon Age Wiki says it's 10.

I was actually quite surprised we didn't have to face some during the attack on Denerim. I was sure they would be commanders in the battle.

I was actually quite surprised we didn't have to face some during the attack on Denerim. I was sure they would be commanders in the battle.

It makes sense as in Thedas undead are the result of demonic possession (of a corpse) and Darkspawn and demons don't mix. They are two seperate types of nastyness.

It makes sense as in Thedas undead are the result of demonic possession (of a corpse) and Darkspawn and demons don't mix. They are two seperate types of nastyness.

Good point.

I guess they don't mix, except for Archdemons, of course.

Did they ever suggest what happens when the Darkspawn take the bodies of the dead underground? I assumed they eat them, but they were pretty coy about that - my first theory was that that was how they created more darkspawn. Could still be that. Might be the Return to Ostagar module that is coming out will address this, as you are supposed to find King Caillin's armor, as part of the quest.

Good point.

I guess they don't mix, except for Archdemons, of course.

Did they ever suggest what happens when the Darkspawn take the bodies of the dead underground? I assumed they eat them, but they were pretty coy about that - my first theory was that that was how they created more darkspawn. Could still be that. Might be the Return to Ostagar module that is coming out will address this, as you are supposed to find King Caillin's armor, as part of the quest.

Broodmother

In a nutshell different types of Darkspawn are created through turning different races of females into broodmothers. The wikia takes the info straight from the codex entry for the Broodmother.

Edit: I realized after submitting my post that Odie used "in a nutshell". In fact I must have stolen it.

Broodmother

In a nutshell different types of Darkspawn are created through turning different races of females into broodmothers. The wikia takes the info straight from the codex entry for the Broodmother.

Ah, never read that codex entry. I did Orzammar last and by that point I'd kind of stopped reading them all. I liked them, but at a certain point I just wanted to get on with the game.

Now that I've got my computer back...

How do you get the DLC to work? I have the Steam version and once I activated my DLC it shows up on my Bioware COmmunity Page thingie, but not in-game anywhere.

How do you get the DLC to work? I have the Steam version and once I activated my DLC it shows up on my Bioware COmmunity Page thingie, but not in-game anywhere.

On the opening menu screen there should be a selection for downloadable content (forget what they call it). It should show up there and be pretty self explanatory about how to DL it from that point. The free stuff should just be available to you, the Warden's Keep should say it requires something like "560 points" or whatever (which translates to like $5.00 US, when you go to their site to buy it).

On the opening menu screen there should be a selection for downloadable content (forget what they call it). It should show up there and be pretty self explanatory about how to DL it from that point. The free stuff should just be available to you, the Warden's Keep should say it requires something like "560 points" or whatever (which translates to like $5.00 US, when you go to their site to buy it).

That's the problem. Nothing shows up.

Hmm. Maybe you have it already?

To expand on Relic's post you should have 3 tabs in downloadable content. Left tab is available content, middle tab is where all the content you own is located at, and the right tab is what you currently have installed.

Click on the middle tab and choose what you want to download.

Also make sure to redeem your promo code on the bioware social site because your downloadable content is directly related to your social site account.

Archived