Dragon Age: Origins: Thread III [some SPOILERS]

Tobin

I hate Revenants.

They can be rough, sometimes very rough if things go bad. When I am able to freeze/petrify them at least twice in one fight, I can usually take them down with little problem (maybe just 2 or so lyrium and health potions per fight). When it goes bad and they Resist well, it can get very hairy very quickly. The worst Revenant fights are when they have a number of good, tough minions fighting with them. The first one I faced was at Redcliffe and it was pretty bad because there were so many other foes in that court yard.

The worst for me were the ones in the forest protecting the pieces of the Juggernaut armor. I stopped bothering with them. I did kill all 6 Corpse Walker revenants, hoping it would unlock a badge, but got nothing. All you get is all six entries in your Codex filled out (and the experience, I guess).

For the ones in the forest, Cone of Cold, Misdirection Hex, Forcefield, Crushing Prison, and Death hex will save your life. Cone of Cold the white mobs around, then use any skills you have that produce a critical hit on cue to shatter them. The faster you get rid of the extra mobs, the better it will go for you. If you have to/can, try forcefield or crushing prison on the Revenant while you clear out the mobs. Once they're gone, stacking both the high-level hexes on him means that he'll take constant crits and cannot hurt you. Telekinetic weapons are also a big plus, since he's got very, very high armor.

Oh, and Gaxkang. Oh dear god, he was difficult, at least until I remembered he was vulnerable to mana clash.

By far the worst boss is that bloody female knight whose name i forget. Its when you get betrayed by the queen after sneaking into Arl Howe's castle. For some reason this random knight is harder to kill than any revenant, Loghain, Uldred, and flemith. I swear to god she was one-hitting several of my characters, and inexplicably she kept going after my mage/healer. It was like they changed the ai or something.

Edit: I think she's called Cauthrien.

By far the worst boss is that bloody female knight whose name i forget. Its when you get betrayed by the queen after sneaking into Arl Howe's castle. For some reason this random knight is harder to kill than any revenant, Loghain, Uldred, and flemith. I swear to god she was one-hitting several of my characters, and inexplicably she kept going after my mage/healer. It was like they changed the ai or something.

Have you tried losing that fight?

For the ones in the forest, Cone of Cold, Misdirection Hex, Forcefield, Crushing Prison, and Death hex will save your life. Cone of Cold the white mobs around, then use any skills you have that produce a critical hit on cue to shatter them. The faster you get rid of the extra mobs, the better it will go for you. If you have to/can, try forcefield or crushing prison on the Revenant while you clear out the mobs. Once they're gone, stacking both the high-level hexes on him means that he'll take constant crits and cannot hurt you. Telekinetic weapons are also a big plus, since he's got very, very high armor.

Yeah, I know how to handle those situations but it doesn't always work - oh, and I didn't take force field or crushing prison. I mainly used Petrify and Paralyze to freeze bosses. Petrify is nice because when you Stone Fist them, they take a lot of damage. I don't think I ever shattered a Boss that way (not sure it's possible), but I shattered a ton of yellow Elites. Otherwise, I'd send in Allister with one of his crit-inducing talents and he'd have a great chance of shattering, too.

After losing that fight, just let the game keep loading...it's not over. I was confused an exasperated at first too, because it seemed impossible, but there's a reason for that.

Its when you get betrayed by the queen after sneaking into Arl Howe's castle

You mean after you betray the queen and she promptly pays you back in kind?;)

After losing that fight, just let the game keep loading...it's not over. I was confused an exasperated at first too, because it seemed impossible, but there's a reason for that.

Yeah, you miss out on the amazin double team of Zevran and Oghren if you insist of winning that fight!

Here is the strat I gave my sister for the Rev in Redcliff:

As soon as you get out of the side door, jam your whole party as far in the corner as possible and keep them on 'stay'.

Take a mage or bow and pop the Rev at beyond max range - (I like using the mage because I know it will hit, but she had trouble keeping Morri up when he came to say hello).

The Rev's first move will likely be 'mass pull' - but since you're out of range, the spell will fail.

He will either charge across the courtyard into your face or stop about halfway and yank someone to him (mass pull still on cooldown).

If he pulls you into the courtyard, then all of the other mobs will wake up - if not, you have a good chance of taking him down before they notice.

Having a mage with FBall will make short work of the skeleton archers on the stairs.

Once the Rev is down, unleash everyone and let them scatter while you run and unlock the gate.

You don't really need Ser Perth and his knights for the fight, but it doesn't hurt.

The Revs in other places...just suck.

Yeah, you miss out on the amazin double team of Zevran and Oghren if you insist of winning that fight!

If I ever get that far in a replay of the game, I'll have to try letting myself get rescued rather than breaking out. (As I mentioned up-thread, the prison guard there makes Mord look like Littlefinger by comparison.)

If I ever get that far in a replay of the game, I'll have to try letting myself get rescued rather than breaking out. (As I mentioned up-thread, the prison guard there makes Mord look like Littlefinger by comparison.)

I seduced dumber-than-Mord last night. Got him in the cell, got him to take off his armor, and then, in all our naked-ish glory, Alistair and I kicked his ass.

Stupid guard!

Here is the strat I gave my sister for the Rev in Redcliff:

I was able to take out all the skeletons on the stairs without aggroing the Revenant, then after I let my guys recharge, I fireballed the Rev and his skeletons - that left just the Rev, which wasn't so terribly hard to kill on its own, by that point.

You don't really need Ser Perth and his knights for the fight, but it doesn't hurt.

Huh? It's been a while since I did that part of the game (it was my first thing after Lothering), how do you get their aid? I'm totally forgetting who they are.

Perth didn't come when I opened the Gate. I think he might have died during the night fight.

Ice and Stone seem the best methods for dealing with the Revenant. 2 mages. Mages are definitely the alpha class.

How could they have died during the siege? the mill section is a pathetic drizzle. At times I even had to pull darkspawn down from the hill because they got stuck and wouldn't advance the encounter.

That being said - I have yet to survive with any of the militia from the lower section. I keep expecting to get accosted by Murdock's chain-smoking ghost in the Fade :( .

How could they have died during the siege? the mill section is a pathetic drizzle. At times I even had to pull darkspawn down from the hill because they got stuck and wouldn't advance the encounter.

That being said - I have yet to survive with any of the militia from the lower section. I keep expecting to get accosted by Murdock's chain-smoking ghost in the Fade :( .

I'm remembering now, you open the gates to let him and his knights into the castle. I never thought to do that while fighting the Revenant, and just did it after I was done.

Yeah, the fight top-side was super easy. I always wished just a few of those knights could have come down to help out down below. I was able to win the bottom part on my second try with like 2 of the militia still alive, but my first try was just a disaster of epic proportions. When I won, I basically stayed up on the hill path and acted as the artillery for the fight and let the militia be on the mainline. That worked REALLY well. I'd focus all my fire and spells on a single target, then hit the next, then the next. Took each one out pretty fast, including elites. Only a few times did they send some guys up the hill after mine, most just died in the killing ground in the main square.

I'm remembering now, you open the gates to let him and his knights into the castle. I never thought to do that while fighting the Revenant, and just did it after I was done.

Yeah, the fight top-side was super easy. I always wished just a few of those knights could have come down to help out down below. I was able to win the bottom part on my second try with like 2 of the militia still alive, but my first try was just a disaster of epic proportions. When I won, I basically stayed up on the hill path and acted as the artillery for the fight and let the militia be on the mainline. That worked REALLY well. I'd focus all my fire and spells on a single target, then hit the next, then the next. Took each one out pretty fast, including elites. Only a few times did they send some guys up the hill after mine, most just died in the killing ground in the main square.

Well, the Revenant in Redcliffe Castle is the easiest in the entire game, it's not even a full blown "boss" creature.;)

Defending the village isn't that hard if you've got a mage. Cone of cold, sleep and the like work wonders. Plus you can heal wounded militia members. If you keep all of them alive you get a helmet as an extra reward IIRC. What annoyed me was that the day and night versions of Redcliffe are two seperate maps, making all the traps I had set during the day as part of my battle preparations useless. Oh well, at least I could pick them up again the next morning...

Odie - have you seen anything with the ambient music files?

I find myself hanging out at Circle dock because I love it - goes perfectly with the moon and the breezes.

And the cylon-raider-like trill.

Only would be more fitting if I had Sten kitted out in the full Blood Dragon armor. "Look First Enchanter! I brought back a souvenier from Caprica!"

Odie - have you seen anything with the ambient music files?

I find myself hanging out at Circle dock because I love it - goes perfectly with the moon and the breezes.

See anything? I downloaded it, and put the opening music in my IPod. What was I supposed to see? :)

Oh, while I'm posting here, someone found and linked to your Team Alistair shirt design over on S_I_B.

It was weird for me in that I had more problems keeping the knights alive up top then the militia alive down bottom. The issue up top wasn't the enemies. It was the stupid oil to light the barricades on fire. My allies were determined to fight the darkspawn in the middle of the fire. Wynne is good, but she's not that good. I managed to do it by letting a couple people through my lines and having the enemy fight way back of the fire with the allied units.

I never really had much of a problem with the militia (this is playing on hard with Alistair as tank, Wynne as healer, Leliana as archer and me as 2h warrior) I don't really have much cc at all and I only needed to heal militia maybe 3-4 times. It was mostly having Alistair and my leader taunt at good times. There was never more than 7-8 enemies on screen at the same time, and they were mostly all pathetic melee. Redcliffe was the last of the 4 areas I did though.

Revenant in the keep wasn't too hard, but my high level helped. I sent Alistair straight at the Revenant (he has lvl 6 massive armor I think, the LC stuff upgraded with the sell/buy trick). Wynne kept him up as I released the knights to help. Then I sent my leader up top and he swept them once and then proceeded to one shot them one by one with Leliana's help. Then I went back down, took care of the 1-2 non elites and then we zerged the Revenent down in under 20 seconds. The knights really do help a lot with the damage on him.

Redcliffe was the last of the 4 areas I did though.

Yeah, enemies only scale to your level so far (Denerim and Orzammar are the two areas where you can potentially encounter the toughest enemies I think) but if you do it as the game more or less suggests and make it your first stop it gets a bit trickier.

Archived