Dragon Age: Origins: Thread III [some SPOILERS]

Tobin

One thing I noticed with Lelianna is that she pulls agro like nobodies business. I even have her set to attack Alistars target, and he has threaten up of course. Yet she still manages to pull agro.

Do you let her just keep rapid fire going all the time with fire arrows etc equipped, as I found that she can rack up a lot of damage that way and the mobs really don't like exploding.

this game is MUCH easier, and probably more fun, when your main is a mage. i made a tank and a cunning rogue but neither of them are all that thrilling to play. There will be an oppertunity to use my mage son, with this DLC coming at the end of the month.

I was telling my sister something similar. I told her that the melee were pretty boring after having played a mage - even when I'm running my rogue, I end up riding Wynne or Morrigan most of the time.

I was telling my sister something similar. I told her that the melee were pretty boring after having played a mage - even when I'm running my rogue, I end up riding Wynne or Morrigan most of the time.

Speaking of Wynne, i think that unless your main is a mage the game is retarded difficult on Hard or higher without her, which in turn limits your evil dialog options.

One thing I noticed with Lelianna is that she pulls agro like nobodies business. I even have her set to attack Alistars target, and he has threaten up of course. Yet she still manages to pull agro.

Do you let her just keep rapid fire going all the time with fire arrows etc equipped, as I found that she can rack up a lot of damage that way and the mobs really don't like exploding.

She is capable of doing a ton of damage with some of her bow skills, especially Arrow of Slaying, which I've seen her knock even some Elites (Yellows) down to 1/2 their HP in a single shot. She has by far the highest damage on a single hit of any of my characters when I look at their stats. Also, when you hit a bunch of foes with an area attack (like Scatter Shot and maybe also Suppressing Fire), anyone not aggroed on her originally will often switch to her if nobody else has done any damage to them. Mages have to worry about that, too of course.

There is one way around it through it does require taking highish ranks of herbalism.

I don't know if it was a bug or not but the last time I was in the Dalish quest line, the shop keepers seemed to have an inexhaustable supply of elfroot for what if I could remember correctly was 1c per piece so 99c for a stack (This may have being because I was a Dalish elf myself through).

Just buy as much as you can with flash and agents etc, and just ram out the politices, lesser, normal, greater whatever. Now because as we all know the different types of politices don't share a CD you can chain use the different kind if you need to. Its not pretty and I would only really recommened having one melee for this tactic (Shale probably would be the better choice for his aoe aggro)

Of course have Morrigan pick up heal and because of how useless the shapeshifter spec is you could if you always want to make her into a spirit healer for the group heal.

I never liked the fact that Morrigan is a shapshifter by default. I could really see her as a bloodmage instead. But I suppose from the Flemith story line it makes sense for her to be a shapeshifter. Even though SS is a horrible spec.

Has anyone tried reaver on Alistar? The bonus on terrifying visage to threaten seems like it might make a good threat combo, and add in aura of pain for extra special fun times.

Shapeshifter is pretty lame. I did buy bear, but I've mostly regretted it. Early on, the spider form was useful in some fights when I had limited powers for causing good damage, but pretty soon her spells far outstrip any need for her to spend too many seconds at the beginning of combat changing just for some better defensive and offensive numbers. Near as I can tell, it's the only spell/talent tree that is broken and vastly underpowered. Unless the last power on that tree is super-tough, I just don't think it's worth it.

Shapeshifter is pretty lame. I did buy bear, but I've mostly regretted it. Early on, the spider form was useful in some fights when I had limited powers for causing good damage, but pretty soon her spells far outstrip any need for her to spend too many seconds at the beginning of combat changing just for some better defensive and offensive numbers. Near as I can tell, it's the only spell/talent tree that is broken and vastly underpowered. Unless the last power on that tree is super-tough, I just don't think it's worth it.

I thought so too, I don't think I've used the ability even once. I had to make sure I took it off her Tactics tree as well, I think the AI made her do it once and I ended up getting slaughtered.

This game gets a lot easier on a second play through. Despite the fact that my first was with a mage, the fact that I know exactly what I'm doing with my warrior helps a lot. I'm not even using a Wynne (though I've started Morrigan down the Spirit Healer path now) and did the Brecilian Forest before the mage tower and I still had little trouble, even with all those pesky Revenants.

I've also done a little eperiment with the supply crates and the unlimited Elfroot. I bought 20 sovereigns' worth of it and turned it in. Made me go from halfway to level 19 to halfway to 22. And to think that for that money I could have bought a book that would have netted me a whole talent point to spend! That's some sloppy playtesting, Bioware.

Fyi for those of you who are ready to try using user "addins"..

There are addins that remove characters pre-leveling before they meet you, and also removes the "set" beginning skills you attain depending on Origin. My latest run-through I've been able to spec everyone I am using just how I want them, skill and talent/magic-wise. Not sure if there is one to stop NPC's from picking specializations before you get them as well but it must be possible.

Ultimately it means you and the NPC's you acquire end up being exactly how you want them.

Has anyone played with the Toolset yet?

I just downloaded it, but as I was doing so I read the FAQ and apparently it has an issue where once you install it it can corrupt new saved games!! They say they are working on that, but I ain't going to mess with it until that's either fixed or I am done with my first play-through.

It's got a machinima editor built into it to make your own cut scenes - wonder how hard it would be to make videos of popular scenes from ASoIaF? Maybe I'll make my own GoT series if the HBO show doesn't get the greenlight! ;)

Has anyone played with the Toolset yet?

I just downloaded it, but as I was doing so I read the FAQ and apparently it has an issue where once you install it it can corrupt new saved games!! They say they are working on that, but I ain't going to mess with it until that's either fixed or I am done with my first play-through.

It's got a machinima editor built into it to make your own cut scenes - wonder how hard it would be to make videos of popular scenes from ASoIaF? Maybe I'll make my own GoT series if the HBO show doesn't get the greenlight! ;)

If you feel that ambitious might I suggest contacting whoever started Song of Ice and Fire project

Archived