Dragon Age: Origins: Thread III [some SPOILERS]

Tobin

I MUST HAVE PURPLE ARMOR!

Is it lavender scented, by chance? biggrin.gif

I like to think it smells slightly of Alistair's aftershave...

I'll pop a screenshot of it tonight so you can see.

(PS - Odie: I'm totally working on a Team Alistair shirt, I'll let you know when it's ready!)

*does a little dance* Davos will HATE laugh at me without remorse if I get one of those. It'll be so worth it!

Actually, speaking of old smelly armor, I just put Alistair's original set of splintmail on my arcane warrior... :D

Where's that branding iron again? The forehead sized one that says DORK on it? Yeah. We need it right about now.

Another question, how necessary is it really to put money, runes, crafting components, etc. into the boxes in your camp for your allies? Does it have much of an affect on the endgame? I've been popping novice runes in there for now and I dropped maybe a gold in at some point, but for now I think it's more important if I use the gold myself.

Im pretty sure the more stuff you donate the better your troops will be for the final "stage" of the game.

So, I got Alister in the Dragon armor, which is pretty good stuff (didn't get the full Juggernaut set, so I'm using this at the moment - not sure of the Juggernaut set is better, or not). Weird thing, when you have the full Dragon armor, it doesn't give you the bonus for a full set!!?? Probably a glitch or something they missed. What is the full set bonus like, anyway? Is it significant?

Another question, how necessary is it really to put money, runes, crafting components, etc. into the boxes in your camp for your allies? Does it have much of an affect on the endgame? I've been popping novice runes in there for now and I dropped maybe a gold in at some point, but for now I think it's more important if I use the gold myself.

There seems to be a bug that switches off the set boni (or at least makes the little green icon disappear) on your companions when in camp. To fix it simply unequip and re-equip one piece of the set.

I think the stuff you can give to your army just nets you XP. Elfroot appears to have the best "value for money" here, you can buy tons of it for very little money at the Dalish encampment, but I have not tested this extensively (or looked it up on the internet for that matter...).

It probably makes your allies somewhat more effective when you deploy them in the end game. During the whole endgame I only felt the need to deploy the allies twice, and one of those times was fighting the archdemon.

So, not necessary at all. But you do get some decent xp, so you might consider it anyway.

I only had to use an army during the Archdemon fight - they made cannon fodder while I chewed it down (rawr mage powa!).

I did put a number of things in the boxes, though - I think I saw my some of the guys running around with frosted weapons from the ice runes I gave.

Found

, it's catchy.

I'm kicking myself for not getting the CE, but maybe someone will put the soundtrack disc up on eBay.

Has anyone done anything useful with traps? It's a cool idea, but it seems like most of the time your NPCs are going to spend most of the fight running towards the enemy to hit them with big metal sticks, and plus who has the time to set up a trap during combat?

So, I got Alister in the Dragon armor, which is pretty good stuff (didn't get the full Juggernaut set, so I'm using this at the moment - not sure of the Juggernaut set is better, or not). Weird thing, when you have the full Dragon armor, it doesn't give you the bonus for a full set!!?? Probably a glitch or something they missed. What is the full set bonus like, anyway? Is it significant?

Putting items into the boxes sadl;y doesn't make you more effective, I found its just more exp

Has anyone done anything useful with traps? It's a cool idea, but it seems like most of the time your NPCs are going to spend most of the fight running towards the enemy to hit them with big metal sticks, and plus who has the time to set up a trap during combat?

Set your party to "Hold" and use traps in ambushes and lure/bait situations. When you play on harder difficulties running into a fight head on usually ends badly. Traps aren't that great in the many many scenarios in the game when you go straight from cut scene into a fight (and might i add how much i HATE that)altho you can set em up near your archers/mages.

the game when you go straight from cut scene into a fight (and might i add how much i HATE that)

Yeah, every time I the villain gets to monologue it actually gives him a tactical advantage (or at least takes away yours), whereas everyone knows that in movies, when a villain monologues, it just gives the hero a chance to come up with some clever way to get out of the evil trap he is in.

Sometimes I'd much rather have those parlays with the villains from outside the doorway, with Allister and my Arcane Warrior PC on either side, hiding, and Morrigan ready to blast the first mob to come through with Cone of Cold. Then my PC hits whoever is next with Petrify and Stonefist, and Lileana is far away down the corridor firing her bow. Rinse and repeat a few times and victory should be mine.

I must be missing out - I hardly ever use Leliana now that I'm a rogue.

I prefer mages - much more flexible, like cloth-covered Swiss Army Knives.

Morrigan +Wintersbreath staff = much frosty destruction.

Man this game is tough... about 5 hours or so, and head straight from the first town to the elf area. Got my shit RUINED by the lizard on the first level of the ruins, and the 2 revenants on the 2nd level.

I had to cheat and look at the FAQ, where they said to go to the tower first as a mage... blah.

So far it is a pretty good game.

Probably no reason to have her if you're a rogue. I made an early decision to build her for bow, just cause I felt like it. I don't have a real melee rogue in my party - Allister is the main melee for me, sword and shield build so he can tank and pull aggro. Now I have my PC as an Arcane Warrior, but her Constitution is quite low, so she can't take many hits yet. I'm going to up her Con. now because she's got enough magic to get any spells she wants (and then some), and her Willpower is also quite high for her mana pool.

Going to do a Ass/Bard build.

Is that what Shakira is?

I prefer mages - much more flexible, like cloth-covered Swiss Army Knives.

Morrigan +Wintersbreath staff = much frosty destruction.

I forced myself to keep her in my party when playing thru as a mage, simply to unlock chests (it wasnt worth it, nothing all that great in any of those). had her spec into bows.

this game is MUCH easier, and probably more fun, when your main is a mage. i made a tank and a cunning rogue but neither of them are all that thrilling to play. There will be an oppertunity to use my mage son, with this DLC coming at the end of the month.

Archived