MMA 2010 I - Pride FC re-watch and other combat sports topics.

Horus Ex Machina

All true, but Mir still looked like a frat boy that rolled out of bed and barely made it to class. Most other professional sporting organizations would not tolerate that kind of presentation.

He looks like a normal man. He's not dolled up trying to be a rock star or a phony.

All true, but Mir still looked like a frat boy that rolled out of bed and barely made it to class. Most other professional sporting organizations would not tolerate that kind of presentation.

Seems as professional as many of the athletes in the NBA and NFL.

There was a little story recently about how Josh Barnett showed up to a Dream 13 press conference in a Versace suit and was entirely overdressed compared to all the other fighters. He said that Pride used to insist that fighters wear suits, so he assumed that Dream would as well. Insituting a dress code would probably go a ways toward cleaning up the sport's image. Of course, there are probably endoresment entanglements barring that.

If wearing a suit is what a fighters likes to do, he should do it. If he wants to show up in sweats, so be it. I watched the presser, and didn't think anything about how Mir was dressed until it was mentioned in this thread.

I just want my fighters to fight. If they do that part of their job right, I don't care what they're wearing or even what they're saying too much.

If wearing a suit is what a fighters likes to do, he should do it. If he wants to show up in sweats, so be it. I watched the presser, and didn't think anything about how Mir was dressed until it was mentioned in this thread.

I just want my fighters to fight. If they do that part of their job right, I don't care what they're wearing or even what they're saying too much.

This.

People who judge folks on how they dress are not people worth talking to or about.

I'm sure you already know this, but GSP already beat Koscheck at his own game years ago. Since then, GSP's improved and tightened up his game a lot while putting on extra muscle, while I can't say the same of Koscheck, who since then, has also shown he doesn't have the best chin in the world.

And Mir is a total douche, and has been for years. It's not like that "death in the Octagon" line is the first dumb thing he's ever said. He's been a trash-talking asshole since the minute he stepped into the Octagon. Sure he's intelligent, but he's still a dickhead. It's actually kinda strange that he hasn't talked any shit about Carwin. I'm guessing they must have some past association with each other and are buddy-buddy.

I was impressed with Koscheck's chin in the Alves fight. He took a lot of shots and survived in a fight he accepted on only a few weeks notice. He was dominating Paulo Thiago and that punch was a fluke. Not saying he would beat GSP, but his athleticism dwarf's Fitch's.

Anyonese watch the fight after GSP? With Hammon and...can't remember his name. Seriously, Hammon looked like a biology teacher, and he was great against a guy who looked way stronger than him. Second best fight of the night.

Edit: For possibly having too many beerz.

Hammon and, was it Wallace (?) got a Fight of the Night award for that one. It was pretty back and forth. Damn good fight IMHO.

I had Carwin over Lesnar when they were to get together originally. After seeing him demo Mir, I feel even more confident. It's like that guy lulled Frank into a sense of satisfaction with the apparent evenness of the fight and then suddenly just cranked her into some crazy overdrive gear. That dude is dangerous. I at least expected him to loose his second round cherry in this one. Crazy.

GSP-Hardy and Fitch-Saunders went more or less how I thought they would. You sure can't fault Hardy for his heart, poor guy. I'm still bummed about Alves. We lost two potentially great fights and got a snoozer. I'm glad Carwin got the win against Mir. Now we'll see how Lesnar can fare against a powerful guy like Carwin. By the way, did anyone notice how Carwin's physical dimensions keep increasing? Now they're billing him as 6'5, despite the fact that he was obviously an inch or two shorter than the supposedly 6'3 Mir. He looks a fair bit smaller than Lesnar.

I can't wait for Fight Night this Wednesday. Florian-Gomi should be awesome, but I'm more excited about Nelson-Struve. Apart from the fighters' almost comical contrast in physical dimensions, I think this will be a really interesting fight. I'm really pulling for Struve to use his range and submission savvy to counter Nelson's belly-flop top control.

I can't wait for Fight Night this Wednesday. Florian-Gomi should be awesome, but I'm more excited about Nelson-Struve. Apart from the fighters' almost comical contrast in physical dimensions, I think this will be a really interesting fight. I'm really pulling for Struve to use his range and submission savvy to counter Nelson's belly-flop top control.

There's something about the belly flop top control that's highly entertaining. I can't wait for Nelson to submit someone by suffocating them with his gut.

I agree. I think Diaz is an example of one of those guys who's been trying to go down too far in weight at 170. There is definitely a point of diminishing returns in the weight cut.

"Apart from the fighters' almost comical contrast in physical dimensions" - LOL. Perfectly put. An interesting fight, to be sure.

It's impossible not to like GSP, but his fights aren't the most entertaining thing in the world.

I have no problem with wrestling, but once you gain control of someone on the ground it would be nice to see the fighter try and finish rather than simply control the fight. Maybe GSP did try to win it (I couldn't tell whether he held back on some of those submission attempts), his corner was certainly telling him to ground and pound. But it made for a less exciting fight with GSP just keeping Hardy in a straight jacket the entire time. Fitch has a similar style.

In the Pellegrino fight, the guy was on top of him and Pelligrino flipped him and smashed his head onto the mat. Seems like there would be a significant risk of spine injury doing something like that.

Archived