MMA 2010 I - Pride FC re-watch and other combat sports topics.

Horus Ex Machina

Yep just like BJ Penn has no one left to fight... oh wait

Sonnen and Belfort deserve a shot at Silva.

Sonnen and Belfort at least provide a challenge for Silva. We've already sean Silva clown a BJJ master. Give him something else.

What's the point of bowing and acting respectful before and after a fight, but taunting .... during?

Word.

I don't mind a fighter who is an asshole, but Silva is a fucking hypocrite.

And Sonnen and Belfort don't 'deserve' shit. Both are new to the UFC. Let them fight each other.

Can somebody in the know fill me in? On all the post fight interview clips Silva makes all kinds of references to the disrespect MAIA SHOWED HIM, that led to his in cage antics. Maia seemed more than respectful in all of the interviews I saw. I suppose a fighter having the audacity to believe they can win a fight could be seen as disrespectful if you stretched it. What did Maia say that he deserved to be mocked, shit talked, punished and treated with disdain in the cage for? Anybody?

I'm not so interested in Sonnen/Silva (where Sonnen's key to victory will undoubtedly be lay n pray) but I'd love to see Belfort/Silva. I can't see Silva getting away with what he did against Maia with Belfort.

Can somebody in the know fill me in? On all the post fight interview clips Silva makes all kinds of references to the disrespect MAIA SHOWED HIM, that led to his in cage antics. Maia seemed more than respectful in all of the interviews I saw. I suppose a fighter having the audacity to believe they can win a fight could be seen as disrespectful if you stretched it. What did Maia say that he deserved to be mocked, shit talked, punished and treated with disdain in the cage for? Anybody?

I'm not so interested in Sonnen/Silva (where Sonnen's key to victory will undoubtedly be lay n pray) but I'd love to see Belfort/Silva. I can't see Silva getting away with what he did against Maia with Belfort.

I read it was something about Maia, playing upon his nickname, saying that the spider has 8 legs and he wanted to take one home. Now, don't quote me om that, but if true Silva is fucking silly.

Weird card over all.

"He's a man. He has his weakness. He has good days and bad days, like everybody. He has two arms, two legs, so, you know, *smile*. Actually they say he is the spider, they say he has many arms, so maybe I can take one."

Happy to see Silva get another win. I've been a bit distracted lately, but I always take the time to watch Anderson fight. As for the stomps and soccer kicks, everything that he did was legal and by the book... and you know what, f**k Dana White. F**k Dana White. I don't care what he thinks about Silva or any other fighter for that matter. Ken Stone has the idea, he's bored with the matchups that he's being given and that's the end of the story. Ppl who can challenge him he smashes through, and those who can't, we get this. Ppl who get worked up over the showboating, just quit acting so holier than thou and think back through the years and years of prizefighting and even martial arts that we've seen. Part of it's an exhibition but that's alot of what martial arts that Silva has known is. He started out as a traditional martial artist and likes to display that skillset. Whatever, pick my comments apart if you like bc I'm not gonna really have alot of time to respond.

I'm happy to see that Silva is willing to move down to 170 for the first time in forever to make a fight with GSP happen. It should be a great fight, thought I'd think that Silva would have the advantage, it will be interesting to see what he looks like after cutting to that weight. Also will this be for the title?

On BJ's loss, you definitely have to say that he didn't adjust well to what was happening early and played into Edgar's apparent strength. The LW division is very dynamic now and it will be interesting to see how the rankings shake out after Aoki takes on Melendez and later on in the summer when Alvarez meets what is likely to be Huerta. BJ is still the best LW imo and will win a rematch if it happens, but the #1 ranked LW should be Aoki if he beats Melendez this week.

With all that said, there's no way that BJ should have lost that decision. It was a far worse decision than Machida-Shogun (which wasn't really much of a bad decision at all). Why don't we have a Lederman type to score the fights during broadcasts?

"It was me who posted the 'GSP has no chance' comment btw. " LOL. Must have lumped all the penn fans for that fight into one boarder.

I'd heard Maia's 'take one of the spider's legs' comment. That could not possibly be the disrespect Silva mentioned. Almost everyone he's fought has said something more inflammatory than that in pre fight build up. Those comments are par for the course.

Dana White is the best thing that ever happened to MMA in the United States. You can talk shit all you want, but he has taken it from a joke to having coverage on SI.com and ESPN.

And Silva is bad for the sport. Someone beating the shit out of him would be good for the sport.

People could live with the showboating if Silva was willing to actually fight his opponent. The first two rounds were kind of interesting tbh, he obviously damaged Maia, after that it was a joke.

It would be like Manny clowning around and then taking 3 strikes without lifting his bat. Unacceptable.

You are paid to perform, doesn't matter if the opponent bores you.

People could live with the showboating if Silva was willing to actually fight his opponent. The first two rounds were kind of interesting tbh, he obviously damaged Maia, after that it was a joke.

It would be like Manny clowning around and then taking 3 strikes without lifting his bat. Unacceptable.

You are paid to perform, doesn't matter if the opponent bores you.

This seems similar to the whole "He didn't beat me, he layed on me for 3 rounds" argument. If Maia didn't like what Silva was doing, then he should have done something about it. If Maia was so outclassed that Silva could dick around for 3 rounds and still win, then he shouldn't have been in there in the first place. The way that fight turned out was Silva's fault, and by Silva I don't mean Andersen Silva, I mean Joe Silva. He put together a shitty fight. Andersen knew it and let the whole world see the mistake. I bet it won't happen again.

This seems similar to the whole "He didn't beat me, he layed on me for 3 rounds" argument. If Maia didn't like what Silva was doing, then he should have done something about it. If Maia was so outclassed that Silva could dick around for 3 rounds and still win, then he shouldn't have been in there in the first place. The way that fight turned out was Silva's fault, and by Silva I don't mean Andersen Silva, I mean Joe Silva. He put together a shitty fight. Andersen knew it and let the whole world see the mistake. I bet it won't happen again.

Blame everything on people other than the fucking moron. Brilliant.

The fight was one-sided, so you 'teach them a lesson' by behaving like a petulant child? As for putting together a shitty fight -- it was a fill-in for an injury! It was supposed to be Belfort. And then Soennen refused the opportunity. I think Silva should be thrilled to make all that money without much risk.

Fuck Anderson Silva. I'd even root for that right wing moron over him.

I'm sorry, but that shit was all on Anderson. What if Maia had have spent a good portion of the fight pulling a Thales Leites while cursing and mocking the champion to come down to the matt and join him? I had nothing bad to say about Silva regarding the Cote and Leites fights. Cote had implemented a frustrating gameplan and was trying to goad Anderson into giving him an opening to land a right hammer. He has an iron jaw and one punch knockout power, and Anderson had to respect that while trying to figure out his timing. I really wanted to see those final two rounds before Cote's knee gave out. The bore that was Silva/Leites I put directly at the challengers feet. He couldn't expect Anderson to come jump into his guard any more than Silva should have expected Maia to loose his composure and come forward Forrest Griffin style. If Maia was such an unworthy and boring challenger Silva should have just blasted him out and been done with it, not put on that stupid mocking dance show in a main event in an absolutely new market. I'm usually against DW but he had every right to be as pissed as he was in this instance.

Our local MMA show's host analyzed the Penn/Edgar fight last night and claimed that upon watching the fight a second time he suspects that BJ was ill. I'm not in the 'what a bad decision' camp for that fight. I thought Edgar won almost every round. I just thought that BJ didn't look the part that night and also suspect something was wrong with him. No way I see Edgar pulling out the w in a rematch.

Also, I though Sonnen couldn't be medically clear due to lacerations for that event.

Blame everything on people other than the fucking moron. Brilliant.

The fight was one-sided, so you 'teach them a lesson' by behaving like a petulant child? As for putting together a shitty fight -- it was a fill-in for an injury! It was supposed to be Belfort. And then Soennen refused the opportunity. I think Silva should be thrilled to make all that money without much risk.

Fuck Anderson Silva. I'd even root for that right wing moron over him.

Really? Anderson's going to be fighting Glenn Beck? That is awesome! I'm buying that PPV for sure!

I'm sorry, but that shit was all on Anderson. What if Maia had have spent a good portion of the fight pulling a Thales Leites while cursing and mocking the champion to come down to the matt and join him? I had nothing bad to say about Silva regarding the Cote and Leites fights. Cote had implemented a frustrating gameplan and was trying to goad Anderson into giving him an opening to land a right hammer. He has an iron jaw and one punch knockout power, and Anderson had to respect that while trying to figure out his timing. I really wanted to see those final two rounds before Cote's knee gave out. The bore that was Silva/Leites I put directly at the challengers feet. He couldn't expect Anderson to come jump into his guard any more than Silva should have expected Maia to loose his composure and come forward Forrest Griffin style. If Maia was such an unworthy and boring challenger Silva should have just blasted him out and been done with it, not put on that stupid mocking dance show in a main event in an absolutely new market. I'm usually against DW but he had every right to be as pissed as he was in this instance.

I think the whole point was to piss DW off. Anderson is the top PFP fighter in the world, and he's still pissed at Dana about the boxing thing. Since he can't fight Dana directly he is sticking it to him indirectly. He's beating the shit out of Dana's golden boys (Griffin, and trying to get GSP), and he is fucking around in all his other fights. He is one of the few fighters with any leverage over Dana, and he's flipping him the finger. Good on ya Anderson!

Dana White is the best thing that ever happened to MMA in the United States. You can talk shit all you want, but he has taken it from a joke to having coverage on SI.com and ESPN.

First of all, he's been good for UFC Entertainment, but he's done nothing in the years since the UFC has grown to make the sport be taken more seriously. Do you forget his profanity-laden and sexist remarks towards Loretta Hunt? That is not good for the sport.

Telling a fighter who wins a fight that since he didn't win a manner conducive to entertainment purposes rather than sporting purposes that he'll be relegated to prelims is not good for the sport.

Because this is a sport, not wrestling or some scripted and staged form of entertainment, the self-proclaimed leader of the sport should not be threatening fighters to win in a certain manner. This goes dangerously close to affecting the integrity of the sport by trying to manipulate the action inside the cage. The only ppl who have a right to do that in a real sport is the referee. I cannot agree with a so-called leader of a sports organization who continues to push the sport as though it were a reality tv show.

Now you talk about SI and ESPN. If the few measly scraps of acknowledgement that ESPN occasionally throws the UFC's way is enough for you, then we have a difference of opinion on what MMA's potential reach can be. In the end, they're still trying to figure out what to make of MMA and it doesn't help when the president of the most prominent league is trying to influence the action that takes place inside the cage.

That is not the promoter's job, or a commissioner's job. Unless you are considering a rule change to affect the context of a sport in such a manner that it doesn't influence the integrity of the sport, then you do not have the right to tell an athlete how to compete. This runs dangerously close to the Kimbo fiasco with EliteXC and touches the realm of manipulating outcomes.

If a fighter loses because he fights in a manner that DW tells him to, how is this not affecting the outcome of a fight? How is this good for the sport?

And Silva is bad for the sport. Someone beating the shit out of him would be good for the sport.

Why? Because he wins? Does he cuss out reporters using sexist and inappropriate remarks? Did he ever intentionally injure an opponent then flip him off after the fight? He won, pure and simple. The amount of vitriol over the way he won the fight is completely overblown, and the guys on BatB agreed. MMA fans reactions have been almost ludicrous, to say the least.

A fighter's job is to win fights, period. This is a sport, the action in the cage isn't scripted, they won't always go according to your liking but there are those who can appreciate a fighter who displays their skills and accept them for what they are. If you want that go back to watching pro-wrestling.

Did MJ need to dunk over other basketball players and "posterize" them. He could have just layed up the ball. Yes Anderson used a little showmanship and so do many other athletes in many other sports and they don't put up with anything close to the crap that Anderson has had to deal with. Complete and total bullshit.

Because a fan pays money to view a sport does not entitle him to tell an athlete how to compete, especially if that possibly conflicts with the primary objective of winning at all costs. MMA fans have tried to cultivate this idea of being exciting over being efficient, but at some point as fighters get better, the ones who have goals and aspirations of being the best will put winning above all else and they should. Event the criticism that GSP got for his last win was total BS. A fighter's job is to win. If you want this sport to become pro-wrestling, then I have no reason to agree with anything that you have to say.

I think the whole point was to piss DW off. Anderson is the top PFP fighter in the world, and he's still pissed at Dana about the boxing thing. Since he can't fight Dana directly he is sticking it to him indirectly. He's beating the shit out of Dana's golden boys (Griffin, and trying to get GSP), and he is fucking around in all his other fights. He is one of the few fighters with any leverage over Dana, and he's flipping him the finger. Good on ya Anderson!

I don't understand how a fan could want Silva to deliberately sabotage fights just to make Dana White feel bad.

Archived