MMA 2010 I - Pride FC re-watch and other combat sports topics.

Horus Ex Machina

Did MJ need to dunk over other basketball players and "posterize" them. He could have just layed up the ball. Yes Anderson used a little showmanship and so do many other athletes in many other sports and they don't put up with anything close to the crap that Anderson has had to deal with. Complete and total bullshit.

Anderson ran like Kalib Starnes the last two rounds of the fight after showboating the first three. Playing hide and go seek behind Dan Miragliotta isn't sport. If championship fights are going to become win three rounds and run two than they might as well just give the first guy to win three rounds the belt. These scores are a joke considering the evident talent discrepancy.

Round 4

Jordan Breen scores the round 10-10

Greg Savage scores the round 10-9 Silva

Mike Fridley scores the round 10-9 Maia

Round 5

Greg Savage scores the round 10-10

I don't understand how a fan could want Silva to deliberately sabotage fights just to make Dana White feel bad.

And I don't understand how a fan can root for Dana White to dictate terms of how a fighter goes about his business in the cage or ring. If there are specific rules that address certain aspects of a fight, then that's one thing, but for a promoter to issue threats or engage in a type of showdown with a fighter based on specific aspects of a fighter's game, then that runs close to manipulating the outcome of the fight.

Anderson ran like Kalib Starnes the last two rounds of the fight after showboating the first three. Playing hide and go seek behind Dan Miragliotta isn't sport. If championship fights are going to become win three rounds and run two than they might as well just give the first guy to win three rounds the belt. These scores are a joke considering the evident talent discrepancy.

Round 4

Greg Savage scores the round 10-9 Silva

Round 5

Greg Savage scores the round 10-10

Anderson Silva is a counterpunching fighter. His style works towards finishing if a fighter brings the action to him. That isn't going to change whatever you think about it. By the 4th and 5th rounds Silva may lost interest in the fight, I'll give you that, but I also think that it had alot to do with his frustrations stemming from the first 3 rounds. And like the Leites fight, Maia gets absolutely no flack for falling to his back numerous times. I don't grudge Maia that if he thinks that that's the only way that he can win, but enough with the hypocrisy. Whatever the reason, that doesn't countenance the backlash that came out of this on the fans end. We don't see this type of shit in other sports including combat sports like boxing and wrestling. Ppl may be disappointed in a given performance but usually they show enough education about the sport to understand the intricacies of the fight and why it happened. MMA fans need to grow up and start learning about the sport and understand it before they start complaining.

The fighters are doing what they have to do to win. Guys like Scott Smith and Chris Lytle may be entertaining because they always go forward and "don't care if they win or not", but there is nothing technical about what they bring and there's a reason why they don't win. I respect a fighter alot more if they treat this thing like a sport and try to win at all costs. I want to see the best perform and attempt the strategy that it takes to win every time. What I don't want to see is one of the best fighters in the world lose via a submission because he was trying to impress the fans. That's not what a true sport is about, these guys aren't here to work fights.

Greg Savage hit it right on the head at 41:30. MMA fans are still predominantly the type of guys who go to NASCAR to watch the crashes and not the race. They just want to see ppl bleed and don't bother to understand the technical aspects of the sport. They don't care whether the sport is regarded as a sport so long as it's acknowledged. They also hit on this at 39:30, there is a cult of personality built around Dana White, and it's irresponsible for him to behave as a drunken fan when promoting this sport if we really want it to be taken seriously. Dana White's brought it to this point, yes, but he does nothing towards educating the fans towards becoming more informed about it.

Was the showmanship a bit much? Perhaps, but that's not the thing that's pissing off so many ppl in the MMA world as much as the fact that they didn't see someone's face caved in. We even got ppl pissed bc GSP supposedly cruised in his win over Hardy. Ppl were pissed at Anderson after the Cote fight despite the fact that he had just crushed 8 straight opponents.

I said before, and I'll say again that I preferred Shogun v Machida to Silva v Liddell by far, because the technical aspects of the fight were far superior. Both Shogun and Machida are fare superior techical fighters to Silva and Liddell. I'm not a "just bleed" type of fan. If you've ever listened to anything I have to say, you'd know that and that's where I come from when I say these things. Take it for what it is.

And I don't understand how a fan can root for Dana White to dictate terms of how a fighter goes about his business in the cage or ring. If there are specific rules that address certain aspects of a fight, then that's one thing, but for a promoter to issue threats or engage in a type of showdown with a fighter based on specific aspects of a fighter's game, then that runs close to manipulating the outcome of the fight.

Who's rooting for Dana White?

MMA fans are still predominantly the type of guys who go to NASCAR to watch the crashes and not the race. They just want to see ppl bleed and don't bother to understand the technical aspects of the sport.

Ahh, the favorite 'everyone is stupid except for you' theory. Hogwash.

It's mindless entertainment. It's chess. It gets ones blood flowing. There is absolutely nothing about MMA that is difficult to grasp. If you were talking physics or chemistry or something that retards like the Diaz brothers could not do with success, then I could perhaps get on board with this.

And if you want a Communist revolution, I'm right there with you. But until then, bosses can tell their employees how to do their jobs. That's what DW is -- the boss, and that was Silva is -- the employee.

And if you want a Communist revolution, I'm right there with you. But until then, bosses can tell their employees how to do their jobs. That's what DW is -- the boss, and that was Silva is -- the employee.

So DW could tell him to throw a fight and he would have to do it? Of course not. DW may be the boss but when it comes to the actually fight the best thing he can do is set the matches and offer incentives. Even that can get hairy (See Elite XC and Kimbo Slice)

We live in a capitalism. The owners don't give a shit about fairness or competition. They want money.

They also want to stay out of jail, hence they can't fix fights, or take action with the fighters that will impact the outcome of the fight. I don't know if you remember the Elite XC controversy, but the problem was that they were going to give a bonus to Petrizelle if he stood with Kimbo. You can't do that because it interferes with the fight. It would be like a boxing promoter paying a fighter if he didn't throw hooks.

Just read an interview with Ed Soares over on Junkie and he mentioned there was an article out there wherein Maia was supposed to have said that he respected Anderson Silva as a fighter, but not as a person. That makes the first three rounds of the fight entirely make sense to me. It definitely sounds more like something that would really get Silva pissed than the 'maybe I can get one of the spider's leg' comment. However, it also makes the last two rounds of the fight entiretly more confusing to me. Anderson mentioned Maia surprising him with a couple of punches, and I do recall a couple lefts connecting pretty well. I read some fight breakdown that suggested he'd actually been rattled and that was why he didn't engage the last two rounds. I have a hard time believing that, but I'm still just trying to figure out what went down.

If that's what we get because Maia may have impugned Silva's character, what's going to happen for the upcoming Sonnen fight? He's been openly calling Anderson Silva a dirtbag and mocking everything down to his fashion sense for months. I don't think Sonnen's the guy to take down Anderson, and highly suspect that if he does, its by a conservative top control gameplan he sticks to: ie a wretchedly boring lay n pray affair. But I'm almost morbidly curious about how Silva's going to react to such brazen and persistent disrespect.

We live in a capitalism. The owners don't give a shit about fairness or competition. They want money.

Don't blame the owners. If the audience wants fairness and competition, the owners need to provide that, or at the very least the illusion of it.

If they are still getting money, then clearly people don't care about fairness and competition.

You get what you pay for.

Jordan Breen has a very interesting and in-depth interview with Marcelo Alonso, of the Portal do Vale-tudo magazine, at 01:25:00. It gives some good insight into the situation with the impact of guys like "Minotauro" Noguiera, Jorge Joinha Guimarães, Ed Soares and others. Information and insight into what the situation between Anderson and Maia might have been, and why Anderson called him "playboy" and the socioeconomic meaning of such a comment in Brazilian culture. It's a good piece of radio, and provides ammo and fodder for ppl on both sides of the issue.

So according to Dana White, he will cut Silva if he keeps fighting the way he has. I don't see any way that the UFC would cut Silva, Strikeforce or some other organization would surely be happy to take him of of their hands the second he is let go.

This is my thought. This is almost as hollow a threat as when DW said that he would cut anyone who signed with EA Sports, and we saw how that turned out. Please, Dana, cut Silva! I wanna see Silva v Hendo II.

This is my thought. This is almost as hollow a threat as when DW said that he would cut anyone who signed with EA Sports, and we saw how that turned out. Please, Dana, cut Silva! I wanna see Silva v Hendo II.

Won't happen. Henderson left the UFC because he knew he couldn't ever beat Silva, and he wants a belt.

Won't happen. Henderson left the UFC because he knew he couldn't ever beat Silva, and he wants a belt.

You and your conspiracy theories. Hendo left the UFC bc he wasn't getting the title shot that was promised to him after winning the coach v. coach matchup against Bisping. On top of that the guy who was getting the title shot (Belfort) had already lost to Hendo, so he felt disrespected. If Silva is ever released by the UFC (which is the thing that is less likely) there is no way in hell that SF passes on the chance to sign him. And if they signed him, the logical matchup would be Silva and Hendo assuming the latter beats Shields, which he should. That's just sound business.

On another note, apparently Kid Yamamoto may be the next Dream star to move across the Atlantic to make his Strikeforce debut at 135lbs, which is his natural weight. He grew up and wrestled in Arizona despite being one of Japan's biggest stars, so it's possible that come "home" and fighting at his correct weight might get his career back on track. The only problem is that it's rumored to be a dark match on the prelims. Kinda crazy that. But perhaps it's a sign that Strikeforce will start to properly utilize their prelims by getting fights for guys who need them.

Also it would be interesting to see if this means that SF is thinking about a bantamweight division. If they were going to do that then they'll have to throw in the featherweight division as well. Throw in the two women's divisions and it might be too much for the promotion considering the amount of card space that they have available. Something tells me that it wasn't SF asking for this so much as Yamamoto. It's no secret that one reason that Dream is so open to sending some of their biggest stars overseas is bc more Japanese fighters are interesting in fighting in the US but don't want to limit their ability to fight back in Japan. This agreement keeps them happy.

Yamamoto is likely making use of this deal since Strikeforce agreed to it, but since they have neither the card space nor any plans to open the lighter weight classes they're putting him on an undercard. Obviously, if he were a free-agent and wanted to fight in the US in meaningful fights yet still leave open the possibility to fight in Japan, Bellator would have been a good option, though Zuffa did seem to be angling towards a co-promoted match between WEC and Dream with Faber involved when they were both on top.

Archived