MMA 2010 I - Pride FC re-watch and other combat sports topics.

Horus Ex Machina

If Bj does plow through Edgar there is talk of him dabbling up in 170. DW says he is not opposed to a third penn/gsp fight because bj's physical game has finally been dialed in post, and as you suggest directly as a result of, his loss to gsp. Most people agree though that penn would have to beat down a few of the ww contenders before going straight after the ww belt again. That's cool, because bj vs. a fitch, koz, or an Alves would be an interesting fight. I just hope that the talk of Gsp dabbling up a weight class doesn't end up making the third fight fall through.

I feel exactly opposite! Would you seriously rather see GSP fight BJ again, instead of say GSP vs Wanderlie Silva, or GSP vs Bisping? There are a ton of cool fights for GSP at MW.

S'all good Hap. I've gone off half cocked on people who were being ironic or somehow otherwise unclear on this board when it wasn't in actuality necessary to do so. Just a little misunderstanding. If you recall, I'm the massive GSP fanboy who chose NOT to rub salt in the wound after GSP/Penn II even after you made definiative statements that GSP didn't stand a chance at victory. Why would I go all dickface now?

I do remember you not rubbing it in after the GSP-BJ fight, which I did appreciate, since I think I ended up getting into it with others here who weren't as gracious (I seem to have a knack of getting into it here. Not by choice, just seems to come my way. Must be my warm and fuzzy personality :P). But I'm pretty sure I wasn't definitive that "GSP didn't stand a chance at victory", as I was also a huge fan of GSP and knew it'd be a gigantic challenge for BJ.

Anyways, it's cool man, let's move on. I think GSP is just as amazing as BJ and Anderson, I just didn't phrase it correctly, when I said they were different fighters.

If Bj does plow through Edgar there is talk of him dabbling up in 170. DW says he is not opposed to a third penn/gsp fight because bj's physical game has finally been dialed in post, and as you suggest directly as a result of, his loss to gsp. Most people agree though that penn would have to beat down a few of the ww contenders before going straight after the ww belt again. That's cool, because bj vs. a fitch, koz, or an Alves would be an interesting fight. I just hope that the talk of Gsp dabbling up a weight class doesn't end up making the third fight fall through.

I think DW's said in a recent interview that BJ would have to give up the belt if he wanted to move up, but he also said that he thinks if BJ beats Edgar, that he'll have cleaned out the LW division and would greenlight the move. He also mentioned Alves and Koscheck as possible first fights.

Personally, I'd like to see GSP move up as there are some interesting fights for him up there, but it sounded like he was staying put from what he said after 111, which is his choice to make. I'd actually like to see BJ-GSP fight again, just to put everything to rest, but BJ's gonna have to earn the shot this time by going thru a couple top contenders. Dana's not just going to give it him like before.

"But I'm pretty sure I wasn't definitive that "GSP didn't stand a chance at victory", as I was also a huge fan of GSP and knew it'd be a gigantic challenge for BJ."

LOL! It's funny, because I explicitly remember one of your posts said something to the effect of "So, we're all agreed that GSP doesn't stand a chance on Saturday night, right?". You were probably joking when you said it, but I of course did not agree and took up the gauntlet on that occasion as well, but it all remained in good fun with no misunderstandings that time around. We got into an animated discussion about how their first fight went, particularly the first round, went down, remember?

I love superfights! I want to see GSP go up (as terrified as I have to be for my boy in that one, I want to see Silva/GSP like everyone else)to 185 and I'd love to see a third match with the physcially retooled penn and no 'greasegate' too. I just hope that if GSP dabbles up a weight, he doesn't end up unable to return to 170 because you know he'll pack on some serious functional mass to do it. I don't even want to see Anderson/gsp if Anderson has to drop to 170. I'm that skeptical that he could make it without drying down to a husk. In such an event even if GSP won people would forever astarix that win with discussions about how out of form the Spider was because he had to cut too much. I'm shocked GSP can make 170 and Silva appears to be a significantly larger man of the two.

Just had a crazy thought though. If Anderson Silva can actually reach 170, does that not leave it open for BJ Penn to fight him at 170 too? If Machida were to start bouncing up and down, there could be a crazy series of 'p4p' fights!

"But I'm pretty sure I wasn't definitive that "GSP didn't stand a chance at victory", as I was also a huge fan of GSP and knew it'd be a gigantic challenge for BJ."

LOL! It's funny, because I explicitly remember one of your posts said something to the effect of "So, we're all agreed that GSP doesn't stand a chance on Saturday night, right?". You were probably joking when you said it, but I of course did not agree and took up the gauntlet on that occasion as well, but it all remained in good fun with no misunderstandings that time around. We got into an animated discussion about how their first fight went, particularly the first round, went down, remember?

Haha. Really? I honestly don't remember saying that. I usually get nervous when BJ fights and don't want to jinx him by saying he's going to destroy anybody (which obviously didn't turn out well for him in that fight). I must've been joking about it.

Just had a crazy thought though. If Anderson Silva can actually reach 170, does that not leave it open for BJ Penn to fight him at 170 too? If Machida were to start bouncing up and down, there could be a crazy series of 'p4p' fights!

It's funny, cuz me and my brother-in-law just had this conversation about 5 minutes ago. If Anderson moves down and wants a tuneup fight, and BJ beats Edgar and moves up, they could conceivably fight each other. BJ's just crazy enough to take that fight. It'd be awesome and hilarious, cuz when they stand next to each other, Anderson towers over him.

But I don't want to jinx BJ again, and he still has a real tough fight tomorrow with Edgar, who I think a lot of people of underestimating and he'll put up a much tougher test than Florian or Diego did. Think his smaller size might work to his advantage, and he might be able to outquick BJ. But obviously I hope not and I hope BJ's not looking past Frankie. That would be a mistake.

Just saw this picture:

Silva and Maia at weigh in

Maia looks scared and Silva looks relaxed. Any "subber's chance" that I thought Maia had in this fight is gone.

I just recently watched the weigh-in video. Maia started to hold his fists out for the classic pose and staredown, but Silva opted to stand really close and do the hand-on-hips thing. There was no room for Maia to keep his fists out, so he matched Silva's pose. I think any discomfort you might read on Maia's face is a factor of the awkwardness of the exchange rather than fear. However, I must say that Silva was incredibly relaxed during the weigh-ins and spoke in decent English.

One thing I've noticed about weigh-ins that strikes me kind of funny is that Dana White basically acts as security. Whenever the fighters get a little too aggressive with their staredown, he's the one who has to step in and separate them. I imagine that few companies must call upon their president to act as a body shield.

The probably use DW as security knowing that no fighter in his right mind will lay a hand on him. Not if he likes his career anyway.

I don't think BJ is looking past Edgar. He seems to be one of the few people who are giving Edgar a chance. Of course Fankie is a serious competitor and could pull something off. It just doesn't bode well that there is no place in particular anybody can see him dominating the fight. But crazy shit happens, so who knows.

I probably won't be catching this one until tomorrow sometime, so I'm gonna stay off the net until I see the fights for now.

Hoping for some barn burners!

Lol, so much for that! I had nothing to do, and although I can't afford it, I had to order this thing, even if I'm watching it alone. Two title fights! I don't want to see some god damned tape delay!

Wow, Grove was looking damn impressive until that quick turn of the tide. Holy heart and gnp Munoz!

"I feel exactly opposite! Would you seriously rather see GSP fight BJ again, instead of say GSP vs Wanderlie Silva, or GSP vs Bisping? There are a ton of cool fights for GSP at MW"

I guess I would like to see a third bj/gsp fight, but not at the cost of the quoted, and about a dozen other mw vs. gsp fights that give me an mma boner. I'm just hoping both can get done.

Sherdog seems stunned (the site writers, I dunno about the forums, I don't read those) that Edgar won; they had the fight unanimously for BJ (49-47, 48-47, 49-46) while the actual judges scored it unanimously for Edgar (50-45, 48-47, 49-46)... what's up with that?

Wow. Well shit, I guess forget everything I said the last few pages. Talk about eating crow

I wasn't hugely shocked that Edgar outpointed BJ since I thought that was the only way he could win, but I am shocked that BJ wasn't able to hurt Frankie. And BJ was really tired in the end, which also surprised me.

I was hoping it'd go 48-47 BJ's way, since I always thought to beat the champ by decision, you really have to BEAT him. I can see 48-47 Edgar, but 50-45? Wow.

Anderson vs Maia was funny.

I thought Edgar got the decision. I was also shocked that BJ didn't manage to hurt him. I don't know if it was due to Frankie's crazy footwork and timing or something, but BJ just looked like he was off to me. It was like he just couldn't get going, and his cardio didn't seem where it has been lately. I've heard it bandied about that the whole "You have to definitively beat a champ" thing was actually nowhere in the judging rules of MMA. I'm not sure about the truth of the matter, but that would determine my opinion on the matter. If the champ can loose on points just like any other fighter, BJ definitely lost that decision. If there is something that says beyond outscoring a champ for five rounds, a challenger must definitively beat the champ, I'd have the scratch my head at the decision.

Still shaking my head about Anderson. It was well established in the first round that Anderson had absolute disdain for Maia's stand up, and that he didn't have to go to the canvas if he didn't want to. I spent the next four rounds asking myself why he didn't finish it already. Brutal finishes are why everybody wants to watch Silva, not for theatrical faces and drunken boxing impersonations. I understand that there are head games in the cage, but that just got downright disrespectful IMHO. It got to the point that I started hoping beyond hope that Silva would run into something that would have put an end to all the games. I don't know how you can do what he did and then still do the respectful bow to the opponent thing afterwards. I've always been a fan of the respect Silva brought to the fight game and his opponents. That took a bit of a hit tonight if you ask me. I want the respectful Silva who absolutely mashes his opponents up back.

Silva fights are never worth the price of admission, despite his unquestionable skills. He either dominates quickly or showboats like a bitch. I don't and won't ever pay for his cards.

If Silva really wanted to show off his superiority, he would have done so on the ground. No one was surprised he was dominant on his feet -- and no one was impressed by it. They would have been impressed by him finishing the fight in 60 seconds, and they would have called him the greatest fighter who ever breathed air if he finished Maia on the ground. But showboating?

Not only do I not like it, but I also think liking such behavior it's a solid indicator as to whether someone is a douchebag or not.

Edgar is only going to keep the title for as long as it takes for him to fight Kenny Florian.

Here is the ipijoion of the drunk ken stone, who just got back from his best friends party who only has one eye open.

Andersen Silva is bored. He needs to figght someone who can give him a challenge. GSP, Brock Lesner, Carwin, Mir, it doesn'et 'fin matter. Someone who Silva has to be aware at all times what he is doining, or he could lose hte match. The simple fact is he outclasses everone else at 185. Give him an f'nig challenge

Archived