Should Harry Lloyd play Rhaegar as well?

Lord Varys

In Daenerys's vision in the House of the Undying in Qarth Rhaegar Targaryen is pretty much described as a taller version of Viserys, with indigo eyes, not Viserys's lilac eyes.

So given that there is a second season, and given that Harry Lloyd is going to make a decent job in playing Viserys, should he play Rhaegar Targaryen in that scene as well? And in any other flashback scene to the Trident, or the Tourney of Harrenhal, or wherever we are going to see Rhaegar in the series?

Yeah, but if they stay true to the story then they have to show Aerys and Rhaegar in person in the House of the Undying (these apparitions are visions, no flashbacks) - and I think the lines about little Aegon, first mentioning the Song of Ice and Fire are a key plot element.

Rhaegar and Aerys are key to the plot that is happening in the present even if they have been dead for the better part of two decades. To not show them would be a mistake. You need to see the Trident to believe that fat lazy Robert was the strongest warrior at one time. You need to see the burning of Brandon and the Choking of Rickard (I hope I didn't revers that) to understand Jammie and parts of the start to the Rebellion.

You can ax or gloss over some flashback characters like Ned's sister old kings guard people etc. But those to Targs are vital not only to the people in the West but the East.

Rhaegar and Aerys are key to the plot that is happening in the present even if they have been dead for the better part of two decades. To not show them would be a mistake. You need to see the Trident to believe that fat lazy Robert was the strongest warrior at one time. You need to see the burning of Brandon and the Choking of Rickard (I hope I didn't revers that) to understand Jammie and parts of the start to the Rebellion.

I've never understood why people think we need to show the Trident. Robert's changed appearance is a throw away comment in an episode. There is no need to waste resources to make it blindingly obvious that Robert was not fat at one stage.

At the same time, I would agree that the Brandon (choking) and Rickard (burnt) scene would be desirable. We hear about Mad Aerys a lot but (IIRC) that is the first time we clearly see how deranged he was. The alternative is that we just have Jaime recount the story but I think it would be a great scene to show. Showing Aerys being mad strikes me as more significant than Robert's weight.

I always imagined Viserys as a runt version of Rhaegar- close but no cigar.

Me too. Which is why I think Lloyd could play Rhaegar in the dream sequence.

Looking at his photos, Lloyd is somewhere inbetween the brothers. If he's a decent actor, he'll beable to "become" the better brother just as he's portraying the lesser one. A different wig, contacts and some makeup to accentuate different features will do wonders. Plus he'll be a year older by the time they film season 2.

Should they use the same actor? Don't know. Could they? Yes.

I picture Orlando Bloom as Rhaegar---a "pretty boy" but, a tough capable fighter. However, I know that a big star like Orlando would not be cast in a TV production so, maybe Craig Parker with blond hair?

Orlando Bloom's big roles have been in Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean. His other stuff (eg Elizabethtown), not so much. Kingdom of Heaven did all right, but not on the same scale as LotR and PotC. Rhaegar might be a nice little role for him with good visibility yet not much time commitment.

Eh...IMHO Orlando Bloom is an underwhelming actor and really not attractive enough to play Rhaegar. The most beautiful man to ever walk in Westeros needs full lips :P

They could cast Angelina Jolie as Rhaegar - now wouldn't that bring in the viewers! ;)

Rhaegar's face doesn't have to be seen; a figure, a voice, maybe. I'd almost like it better not to see him until there can be a properly big reveal.

Personally, I could never understand what's so hot about Skarsgard. Sure, he's attractive, but Rhaegar? Um, no.

I'd prefer to see somebody else than Lloyd in this role, though. Just a random bishonen pretty boy model, or something like that.

Personally, I could never understand what's so hot about Skarsgard. Sure, he's attractive, but Rhaegar? Um, no.

I'd prefer to see somebody else than Lloyd in this role, though. Just a random bishonen pretty boy model, or something like that.

For me, Rhaegar should be pretty, but mostly he needs to have soulful eyes. I mean, he's all tragedy and lost opportunity; the greatest "What If" Westeros has seen in centuries (especially if R+L=J). They need a younger, better-looking version of Michael Sheen, perhaps.

But not even in season one. I personally would love a quick flashback of the Trident - just the two armored knights struggling in the waters, the warhammer coming down, the rubies...

You don't even need to cast a face until season two.

I swear, re-reading the entire series with casting in mind, it's almost as if GRRM were planning on it being an epic, episodic television series from the beginning.

Well, if he were meaning to bring it to television genuinely, he probably would not have made everything so massive. ;)

But he certainly drew heavily on his experience with television serial drama and cinema.

Archived