Exercise and Fitness (the 48kg remix)

Vestrit

(because this pretty much only happens with the trainer, when I lift really heavy)

It's not heavy if you can lift it, Emilie. It's the next heavier weight that you can't lift yet that's heavy. That's the secret. :D

I just tried some chin-ups and pull ups with various grip variations while wearing an extra 30 lbs (ankle weights) and surprise surprise to me I was able to bang out the chin-ups without a problem. The pull ups were another story though. 1 rep of the pull ups was tough, but doable.

Had a middling workout today -- cardio on the rowing machine and then the treadmill on an incline. Then free weights. My form is shit (saddest squats and deadlifts, ever) and I have to re-engage the services of my trainer to fix that. My hamstrings are really tight, but I'm diligently doing my seastarr-approved hamstring stretches so that should sort itself out soon. Also, I really fucking hate it when one person takes up half the space on the locker room bench with their random collected shit. Keep that stuff in your locker until you need it, you miserable cow.

My form is shit (saddest squats and deadlifts, ever) and I have to re-engage the services of my trainer to fix that.

Martha,

Check your PM inbox in 5 minutes. :D

Check your email in 5, assuming you can accept large PDFs.

May I just remark how important my foam roller has been to me lately? My lats and serratus muscles seem to get stuck to my ribs after trapeze, and the only way to unglue them is with so-painful-that-it-is-good rolling. My roller is also a great help when my IT band goes inelastic after a trampoline session.

I always wonder how other active people manage without a foam roller.

May I just remark how important my foam roller has been to me lately? My lats and serratus muscles seem to get stuck to my ribs after trapeze, and the only way to unglue them is with so-painful-that-it-is-good rolling. My roller is also a great help when my IT band goes inelastic after a trampoline session.

I always wonder how other active people manage without a foam roller.

My foam roller's been getting a decent workout recently too. On the leg where I was operated on, my IT bands tighten up really badly after exercise

Not sure I agree with the 'so-painful-that-it-is-good rolling' sentiment though. I tend to think of it as 'so-painful-I-really-which-it-would-stop' :P

My foam roller's been getting a decent workout recently too. On the leg where I was operated on, my IT bands tighten up really badly after exercise

Not sure I agree with the 'so-painful-that-it-is-good rolling' sentiment though. I tend to think of it as 'so-painful-I-really-which-it-would-stop' :P

If you keep rolling your IT band, it gets better---or at least, your core and lats get stronger, so you can lift more of your body weight into your arms so there is less pressure on your leg!

If you keep rolling your IT band, it gets better---or at least, your core and lats get stronger, so you can lift more of your body weight into your arms so there is less pressure on your leg!

Yeah, it is loosening up a lot actually. Although my latest thing has been to get some sort of patella reaction to exercise which is solved by sitting and playing with my kneecap a lot to loosen it off

I tend to try and put as much pressure on my leg as possible during the roller, on the basis that's tenderising the meat loosening the IT band off much more

I forgot to say anything on this thread about it yet, but last Sunday I played in a national trial. First time I've played in two years. Went ok, tried to keep it simple and just do the simple things well and just execute simple patterns and plays. Didn't f*ck anything up majorly and set up one try, so guess it went ok

Was sore as hell two days later though. My knee puffed right up. Physios aren't worried, it's just a case of learning how my knee is going to react to things now and where my limits are.

It's weird: when you're fully fit you'd love to have an excuse to bunk off some of the training and playing workload. When you do actually have a viable excuse, you don't want to use it, you want to be doing as much as everybody else

What is a foam roller? Never heard of this before.

This

You basically just roll on it, particularly on a sore bit to loosen it off

Do it on your IT bands if you want to go through the roof

I just tried out barre 3, a work out regimen based on ballet, pilates, and yoga, for the first time today. Barre 3 has weights, ball, and a yoga mat plus the barre. Low impact, not boring, so it's good for me. I'm so out of shape it's laughable and embarrassing.

The instructor told me that I have one of the worse postures she had ever seen and that she could see me thinking, say, 'open your shoulders' but my body refused to translate it. It has a lazy, slacker mind of its own, I must admit. After an hour of it, I had a hard time walking. God, my knees!

But I'm coming back for it. Because lower back pain sucks.

This

You basically just roll on it, particularly on a sore bit to loosen it off

Do it on your IT bands if you want to go through the roof

I've been using a roller for a few months now to pretty good effect. I agree that myofascial release on the IT bands is one of the more painful experiences that a human can go through.

Here's a good little article about using a roller or tennis ball for self-massage. Really helps out a treat.

Did a hike up Mt. Baldy via Bear Flats Trail a few days ago. Started at around 4000 feet and ended up turning around at 8000', 2000 feet shy of the peak. We ended up doing 8 miles with 4000' gain. Very steep with the snow level around 6800'. The snow wasn't hard or packed enough to stand on top of, so it was exhausting, especially for my dog. He was sinking up to his belly at times, and eventually started laying down and was reluctant to climb up any further. Snow was pristine; didn't see any tracks except for some bighorn sheep tracks above 7000'. Thinking about going up again now that we've broken some trail, which should make it easier, at least to 8000'. Some pics.

Mudguard your dog looks so nice! Does he like playing in the snow? I have a golden retriever mixed (with what we don't know, we got her from a rescue) and I have never seen her have more fun than when she's playing in the snow. On a somewhat related note my aunt and uncle just got a new dog (their old one died in the past year) and it's a golden retriever poodle mix. This thing is so cute, it looks like a frikken teddy bear.

Now back to exercise...I'm finally able to get a good workout in tonight, long overdue I haven't done a legitimate workout in about 6 days and I have all this pent up energy.

Rough day at trapeze today. My rib got flared up, so much that I could hardly breathe, but I didn't bat an eyelash and I just keep going. The universe gave me a spanking for not listening to my body, and smacked me in the face (hard!) with the safety line on one of my return attempts. So, nice fat black eye for me.

The things I do for love...

The instructor told me that I have one of the worse postures she had ever seen and that she could see me thinking, say, 'open your shoulders' but my body refused to translate it.

this is likely because your upper back muscles are weak to the point of non-existence. Try to focus some exercises on strengthening your upper back and shoulders: rowing machines, pull-ups, etc. I am sure Stego, LtL, seastarr or the others can give you good free-weight or resistance exercises to focus specifically on those muscle groups. It did my posture a world of difference.

this is likely because your upper back muscles are weak to the point of non-existence. Try to focus some exercises on strengthening your upper back and shoulders: rowing machines, pull-ups, etc. I am sure Stego, LtL, seastarr or the others can give you good free-weight or resistance exercises to focus specifically on those muscle groups. It did my posture a world of difference.

Thanks for this. I'll ask the instructor next time what I could do in between classes.

Right now, my entire body is sore. How many days should I wait before I go back to class?

Archived