Apartheid in Arizona

tzanth

I am a legal alien, and am supposed to carry my green card with me everywhere. I would rather leave it safe at home than carry it around subject to the vagaries of weather and wear and tear. I've never ever been asked to provide that documentation, but then again I live or travel in non-asshole states.

FLOW, don't you see the problem with Arpaio and his crew already have gone above his jurisdiction before this law was in place? Now this gives him leave to do that, what will he try to pull next? Will that eventually become legal giving him room to try something even more drastic?

Obviously some officers are more than willing to bother with this if it was already a problem before this law.

I don't like the law. However, I think people have confused the motive behind the law with what the actual effect of the law is likely to be. It won't really affect Arpaio at all, nor it is really intended to. I think the primary purpose is to pressure reluctant cops into enforcing those laws, but I doubt it will have that actual impact.

I'm not at all surprised about the overreaction to this. But I'm definitely OK with Arizona becoming more like South Africa if it means more American babes who look like Charlize Theron. (I'm including the thread title in the overreaction category, obv.)

I don't like the law. However, I think people have confused the motive behind the law with what the actual effect of the law is likely to be. It won't really affect Arpaio at all, nor it is really intended to. I think the primary purpose is to pressure reluctant cops into enforcing those laws, but I doubt it will have that actual impact.

The motive behind the law is fairly simple. It's the same one that gets Sheriff Joe re-elected.

Brown people are scary. Especially the ones from across the border.

well it looks like Arizona finally is taking steps to end that pesky Minotaur/ Centaur illegal immigration issue.

Bill in the Arizona state house would make it illegal to create human-animal hybrids.

SB 1307 also would make it illegal to attempt to create a human-animal hybrid or to attempt to transfer a human embryo into a non-human womb, or vice versa. At least part of what's behind both measures is a larger effort by lawmakers to throw roadblocks in the path of any form of cloning research.

Aside from making the state GOP the laughingstock of the nation, it's like the worst parts of the Bush years are still alive down here in the sandy lands.

"Under this law, I will live in fear," said demonstrator Enrique Diaz Martinez, who has lived in the United States for 25 years. "I have an American wife, and children who were born here so are US citizens. I work hard and pay my taxes. But now, if I'm driving to work and the cops stop me and ask for my papers, and I don't have them, I will be committing a crime. This will destroy families."

He apparently isn't aware that federal law already required him to carry documentation. And how will his family be "destroyed" if he gets fined for not carrying documentation?

This isn't a good law, but that doesn't mean there isn't a real problem that needs to be addressed. And part of the problem is that people who are here legally are complicit in bringing over and/or sheltering friends or relatives who are not here legally. They are angry that those relatives may be sent back or prevented from coming over in the first place, so they oppose this and any other law that seeks to stop illegal immigration. And that may be what this guy is referring to when he says it will "destroy families". Not that people who are here legally will be separated from each other, but that people who are here illegally may be sent back.

When that attitude collides with people who don't want more illegal immigration, it's going to be an emotional issue that causes a lot of problems. Unfortunately, I don't think Washington is capable of addressing the problem, so it may get really ugly.

His comments apply just as much to Americans who look Hispanic who have to pass through Arizone. Suddenly, you need to carry your birth certificate to cross the state.

His comments apply just as much to Americans who look Hispanic who have to pass through Arizone. Suddenly, you need to carry your birth certificate to cross the state.

Please point me to the exact line in the law that requires you to carry a birth certificate. All I see for verification requirements is that if the cop suspects someone of being illegal "THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373©."

ETA: I guess you could argue that before the verification stage, if the cop is suspicious, he could request a BC. But then he could always say it's a fake.

Please point me to the exact line in the law that requires you to carry a birth certificate. All I see for verification requirements is that if the cop suspects someone of being illegal "THE PERSON'S IMMIGRATION STATUS SHALL BE VERIFIED WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT PURSUANT TO 8 UNITED STATES CODE SECTION 1373©."

And how are you going to prove this?

I'm going to give this law 1.5 years. When the MLB pulls the all-star game out of Phoenix in 2011 you'll see a bunch of very powerful business men getting hit in the pocketbook and making some phone calls. If you think that won't happen, lets look at the starting roster for last year's National League team:

Yadier Molina (Puero Rico)

Albert Pujols (Dominican Republic)

Chase Utley

David Wright

Hanley Ramirez (Dominican Republic)

Carlos Beltran (Puerto Rico)

Ryan Braun

Raul Ibanez (Cuba)

There's 2 citizens ripe for harassment and 3 resident aliens. I wouldn't be surpised to see some of them staying home next year.

There's 2 citizens ripe for harassment and 3 resident aliens. I wouldn't be surpised to see some of them staying home next year.

:lol:

Really.

Because, as we all know, NBA (and other professional athletes) are great leaders on civil rights issues and political land mines.

Am-I-right?

Honestly, if the Latino/Hispanic residents of AZ and their allies cannot get the law to change, I doubt very much that a few NBA divas throwing a fit will.

I'm going to give this law 1.5 years. When the MLB pulls the all-star game out of Phoenix in 2011 you'll see a bunch of very powerful business men getting hit in the pocketbook and making some phone calls. If you think that won't happen, lets look at the starting roster for last year's National League team:

IIRC we at least get the Superbowl twice sometime in the next 7-8 years. It was all part of the deal to build the Cardinals a stadium.

Really.

Because, as we all know, NBA (and other professional athletes) are great leaders on civil rights issues and political land mines.

Am-I-right?

Honestly, if the Latino/Hispanic residents of AZ and their allies cannot get the law to change, I doubt very much that a few NBA divas throwing a fit will.

When Arizona refused to recognize Martin Luther King Day in the 1990's, the NFL pulled the superbowl from Phoenix to California. Folks are already calling for the All-Star game to go.

*plays Gay Card*

*gets out of jail free*

Now I'm curious, why don't gay guys like baseball?

Archived