Metal Thread IV: Ride the Tiger

Tsavong Lah

Scandinavian metal fan here...

Discovered just today about the new Scar Symmetry album, we already had Children of Bodom, and In Flames and Opeth are still to come. I don't know what to expect from the new IF album, I liked their new stuff unlike a lot of people I know, but a Sense of Purpose taught me fear.

Scandinavian metal fan here...

Discovered just today about the new Scar Symmetry album, we already had Children of Bodom, and In Flames and Opeth are still to come. I don't know what to expect from the new IF album, I liked their new stuff unlike a lot of people I know, but a Sense of Purpose taught me fear.

If nothing else, the cover art for the latest In Flames is an improvement. Can't say I've really listened to them since Clayman though.

Sonisphere (the Big 4, Diamond Head, Gojira, Cavalera Conspiracy, In Flames, Motorhead, Opeth, Paradise Lost, Limp Bizkit, Sliknot, Arch Enemy, Watain, Mastadon) July 8th-10th

Awesome lineup (with a few obvious exceptions).

I'm seeing Finntroll next month.

I, too, am waiting for the whole Primordial album to come out. Which it does. In a couple of days. AAAAAHHHHHH!!! :commie:

I've still been churning through bands, but have had no time to post about them here. Something about a new TV show...and the absurd levels of fanwank that have resulted from it.

For the record, I've been listening to and enjoying:

Blood Ceremony (metal like Jethro Tull)

Christian Mistress (Diamond Head meets the ghost of Mia Zapata)

Ilsa (Death/Doom/Crust)

Frostmoon Eclipse (Black Metal)

Gorath (Progressive Black Metal)

Rudra (Vedic metal, but more emphasis on metal this time around, more like their debut album)

Todtgelichter (Avant-garde Black Metal)

Mitochondrion (Blackened Death Metal)

I was underwhelmed by the new Moonsorrow, but I'm going to return to it in half a year to see if my feelings have changed. Mitochondrion's new release is tamer than their debut, possibly because it isn't self-released (they are signed to Profound Lore). It's actually pretty good, but I miss the chaos of the debut, even if it was nigh-impossible to hear some of it due to the low production values. ;)

For shows, the next big one is MDF at the end of May. A couple of lineup changes (Ghost instead of Goatsnake, Nunslaughter instead of Destroyer 666, and another that I can't remember), but otherwise still looking forward to the mayhem. Actually, I'm pretty stoked to see Nunslaughter. I'll be very surprised if Marduk actually show up, though.

If nothing else, the cover art for the latest In Flames is an improvement. Can't say I've really listened to them since Clayman though.

/nod

Sepultura, Belphegor, Keep of Kalessin, Neuraxis, Hate, Bonded By Blood, tonight!

I try not to listen to anything from an album until I can get the whole thing. If I do, one of two things will happen: 1) I'll not really like the song, and lose interest in the album, or 2) I'll like it so much that even when I get the album, my enjoyment of it will be centered around the song I've already created an attachment to, and therefore the rest of the album won't get its due.

That being said, I absolutely can't wait for the new Primordial.

Good point. It is kind of like reading preview chapters. I have refused to hear anything but the release date for Dance with Dragons. It can ruin your personal experience when the entire thing is released.

I know there are some Nevermore fans here. Looks like Jeff Loomis and Van Williams are leaving Nevermore. That's too bad. I wasn't their biggest fan, but enjoyed some of their songs and Loomis is an incredible guitarist.

Source.

Man, what a week. First KK leaves Priest, now this? Sucktastic.

It was officially announced Friday that Roy Kahn has resigned from Kamelot.

I just got into the band not that long ago, and even if their latest album was weak, it's still sad news. Roy is a fantastic singer, and a significant part of what made the band so great.

So at this moment I have just fired up the new Primordial. Only a minute into the first song, and it is still just the intro, but I'm feeling tingles. Will report back later about it.

I also got a hold of the new Krallice, for those that care. That will be up next.

I've been listening to the new Primordial...and it's just not grabbing me like the last one. :(

I think it might be the production -- the music doesn't sound as dynamic and Nemtheanga's voice is not as expressive or immediate as in past efforts. I do love when he sings ultra-clean vocals on a few tracks, though. All of that said, I'm not giving up on this album yet.

Archived