Breaking Bad Seasons Three and Four

Rockroi

Hi all, long-time lurker, first time poster, etc.

I just wanted to point out a nagging detail that came up in the last episode, when Gus was being interviewed by the police/DEA, he mentioned the scholarship he had established and named after his "dear friend, who died too young", Maximino.

Now, he may have eradicated all traces between his current persona and his past, but surely he didn't do the same to his cherished friend, whose name he has now (foolishly) given to the authorities. Couldn't Hank now use this to get to Gus' Chile years through investigating Max?

Presumably if there's no record of Gus anywhere, there won't be any record of Max either. I'd have thought if they were working together they'd have made sure that each other's tracks were covered.

ST

EDIT: Also, welcome!

Here is a brief list of other things I did not think about when introduced to Gus:

-Gus' nationality;

Unrelated to your overall point but

I definitely thought about that one for a while,

Colombian was my guess for a long time. Being obviously not Mexican, but hispanic and in the drug trade. Chile was surprising.

I gave up on the show with four episodes left on Season 3. It's just really slow-paced and not to my liking.

And fans' tendencies to be all orgasmic when talking about the show's cinematography gets on my nerves, like it's the first amazing thing they've seen since coming out of the cave. I like how they edit things and the show is not pretentious by itself, but the fans are (but not you guys, I read the last couple of pages and you all seem levelheaded)

Agreed, that was hilarious!

Also, I'm on page with Rockroi that, at least to date, IF they are indeed throwing in the wrinkle that 'Gus is gay', it appears to be a meaningless lazy attempt to add some depth to a character that they didn't need to. Right now throwing gay into the Gus mix means absolutely fuck all to me.

I will of course, add the caveat that the series isn't done with Gus yet so such a factor could be incredibly germaine to the story by the time all is said and done. If his reputed gayness gets fleshed out from a plot and/or character development standpoint then all is good on that subject. If not, then the fact that he actually hates fried chicken or something would be more important and I would also get behind allegations of laziness for the writers who, I don't know, needed someone to fill the token gay guy roll with Gayle dead? Or am I off base that Gayle had a thing for Walt based on certain writings in his notebook?

Separately, making Gus' motivation about a killed lover, gay or straight, is not edgy, and kind of lame.

Not really. It may be a little cliched, but it's not lame. It's probably the basis of most revenge scenarios, in real-life or on screen.

I'm really not seeing how making Gus gay is a lazy attempt to make the character "edgy", but whatever.

Not really. It may be a little cliched, but it's not lame. It's probably the basis of most revenge scenarios, in real-life or on screen.

I kinda think it would be in this context. And it's lame because Gus hasn't been acting in a revenge mode.

They killed his lover, so to exact revenge he sets up a highly profitable business, works with them for twenty or so years, hopes a master chemist will come along ensuring he no longer needs them to supply him with product and then......

That's a terrible revenge plan. Gus's motivation sure as hell better be about making money. He remembers what the cartel did, he has no love for them, but he isn't about revenge.

I kinda think it would be in this context. And it's lame because Gus hasn't been acting in a revenge mode.

They killed his lover, so to exact revenge he sets up a highly profitable business, works with them for twenty or so years, hopes a master chemist will come along ensuring he no longer needs them to supply him with product and then......

That's a terrible revenge plan. Gus's motivation sure as hell better be about making money. He remembers what the cartel did, he has no love for them, but he isn't about revenge.

Well, I didn't mean it as a straight revenge setup. Yes, Gus is a businessman first and foremost, and his first priority was probably setting up a profitable business. I think he always kept what happened to his friend in the back of his mind, knowing that he couldn't take on the cartel in direct confronation. And when the opportunity came, as it has in the last couple seasons, he took it. Revenge best served cold and all that.

I'm saying it's not lame that Gus chose this opportunity to exact some kind of revenge. He obviously went thru a lot of emotional distress with the killing of his friend/lover/whatever, and it's not lame that people who suffer great emotional distress are going to eventually want payback, in some shape or form. Personally, I think it's great that the writers are showing a side of Gus that isn't strictly about business.

In its unfleshed out present form, Gus' alleged gayness could be seen as just lazy writing because it just doesn't mean squat and seems like an afterthough. It just seems kind of like "oh, and he's gay" after learning he's a Machiavellan business man and cold blooded killer

Like I said though, the series isn't done with him so the issue could very well have more meaning than we know at this time. Presently Gus' sexuality means and adds nothing imho. If he was confirmed strait at this time it wouldn't mean anything either. It's just a subject that if it isn't going to fleshed out with some relevancy they should have just left alone. Right now it just seems like a "so what" issue.

There was a time when making a given character gay was edgy and all that, but those days are long, long gone.

Personally, I didn't even suspect his relationship with the fellow who was shot was that of lovers until reading this thread. A guy can have a close personal friend and be very enraged to watch him be shot without them being gay lovers after all.

I liked the Walt/Jesse fist fight. Not sure where their little relationship is headed now.

In its unfleshed out present form, Gus' alleged gayness could be seen as just lazy writing because it just doesn't mean squat and seems like an afterthough. It just seems kind of like "oh, and he's gay" after learning he's a Machiavellan business man and cold blooded killer

Like I said though, the series isn't done with him so the issue could very well have more meaning than we know at this time. Presently Gus' sexuality means and adds nothing imho. If he was confirmed strait at this time it wouldn't mean anything either. It's just a subject that if it isn't going to fleshed out with some relevancy they should have just left alone. Right now it just seems like a "so what" issue.

Maybe it explains why he's been so friendly with Jesse. Lets face it, the sexual tension in the scene where Gus and Jesse are eating dinner is pretty apparent.

What I don't get, is why Gus doesn't say to Walt. "look ahole, i'm the only one keeping the cartel from you killing you tomorrow."

but fantastic episode, particularly skyler's bimbo act and the dinner scene.

What I don't get, is why Gus doesn't say to Walt. "look ahole, i'm the only one keeping the cartel from you killing you tomorrow."

Because that doesn't really do much for Walt - if anything in his mind it just gives another avenue by which Gus can dispose of him.

A sensible person might think on it but:

1) Walt has no idea how close he came to being scalped by the Cousins, so his default reaction will be suspicion.

2) This changes the relationship to him needing Gus but Gus still at some point will stop needing him - which is if anything worse than the situation he imagines himself in, and one he'll still want to drastically amend in his favour.

Maybe it explains why he's been so friendly with Jesse. Lets face it, the sexual tension in the scene where Gus and Jesse are eating dinner is pretty apparent.

Clearly, the only reason Gus was able to walk up to and face a sniper is because the writers have shown how edgy he can be by making him gay. Gay power FTW.

Last scene was crazy. I guess the days of watching Walt and Jesse team up and get themselves out of crazy jams are over. Damn

Clearly, the only reason Gus was able to walk up to and face a sniper is because the writers have shown how edgy he can be by making him gay. Gay power FTW.

Last scene was crazy. I guess the days of watching Walt and Jesse team up and get themselves out of crazy jams are over. Damn

Interesting. I just rewatched the scene where he slit the dudes throat and noticed something. When the dude is bleeding to death Gus has one hand pulling his head back so the blood spurts more quickly, and the other hand is fondling the dying mans crotch. Not sure how I missed that the first time. When he reaches down and grabs the dude dick is when you see Jesse's eyes bug out. I wonder where this all is going...

Archived