Breaking Bad Seasons Three and Four

Rockroi

Sure Walt was willing to take a bullet for Jesse. But Walt has also demanded that Jesse become his personal assassin twice now. And the first time on an innocent, which has clearly caused Jesse a ton of emotional issues that Walt hasn't bothered much to help with. As usual, Walt is all about Walt. And his pushing and demanding that Jesse become his own cold blooded version of Mike the Hitman - to the point of bugging his car and constantly demanding to see the cigarette) is what has deteriorated the trust between them even more than Jesse's being taken in by Gus and Mike.

First, Walt was trying to help Jesse with Gale's killing, but Jesse did not want his help. And that's always something to consider: you cannot help people who do not want to be helped (and Jesse really did not; hell, when the junkie stole his money, Jesse did absolutely nothing; he had given up).

Secondly, I agree again that Walt is very calculating to the point of inhumanity. But ... Jesse agreed to kill Gus; its not like Jesse hemmed and hawed and said "Gee, I don't know ... this is terrible ... " he knew what he was getting into (and so did Gus, btw). And by the way- much like Sky earlier in the series: Jesse still has not aid he won't do it.

Look, ultimately, I agree that Jesse is sort of onto to Gus, but its much like somebody who knows they are doing something wrong, but they just cannot help themselves. That's Jesse. And I can completely understand Walt's problem here, especially when Jesse has yet to actually refuse to kill Gus.

Rockroi, I completely agree that it was incredibly 'shallow' but I think this was done on purpose. Not sure why, but my guess would be to complement Jesse's confused state right now, since this was such a Jesse-centric episode. Also, in that particular sniper scene, Breaking Bad might just want to sheer away from the 'greater than life' most shows approach that sort of scene in order not to glorify them and give it more authenticity, which The Wire has also done.

I really felt for Jesse in this one. It always seems like when he's getting back on track, Walt goes and treats him like shit. This is particularly painful given the way that Jesse ultimately sees Walt as a father figure of sorts. I don't really know how easy Walt thinks it is to sneakily pour poison into someones food during a meal and the fact that Jesse showed his loyalty to Walt during the dinner made me quite happy when Jesse gave Walt a beating.

Skylar grows more devious by the episode and her ex-boss/lover is one of those pathetic people in life who just take and complain you haven't given them enough. It would be funny of Skylar suggests the hit on him as he's going to be nothing but trouble.

This was After he killed Gale, which left him numb, which left him uncaring when his money was stolen...hence his home degrading into a crack den

Right.

My point was that Jesse was not helping himself and had given up. I made the connection that Walt had asked Jesse a few times how he was doing and if he wanted to talk, etc. Jesse blew him off; he did not want anyone's help.

When the junkie robs Jesse, Jesse does not think twice about it. He does not thank Mike when Mike brings the money back. Same reason: Jesse has given up; he did not ask for anyone's help and does not care that somebody helped him.

That was my point. Walt cannot help somebody who does not want to be helped. At all times referenced above Jesse did not want help.

Right.

My point was that Jesse was not helping himself and had given up. I made the connection that Walt had asked Jesse a few times how he was doing and if he wanted to talk, etc. Jesse blew him off; he did not want anyone's help.

When the junkie robs Jesse, Jesse does not think twice about it. He does not thank Mike when Mike brings the money back. Same reason: Jesse has given up; he did not ask for anyone's help and does not care that somebody helped him.

That was my point. Walt cannot help somebody who does not want to be helped. At all times referenced above Jesse did not want help.

Agreed on the point that Jesse is a classic addict as much as Walt is empathetically impaired. While I think you're right that Jesse was numbed out and refusing help, Walt has also pushed him when he needed it least. The scene where he comes over to Jesse's crack den and demands that Jesse go over every single minute detail was a good example.

There's Walt, in his head trying to save them both by being practical, but at the same nearly pushing Jesse into a panic attack. And there's Jesse trying to shut it all out and not deal with it. It's well written and fits both their characters succinctly.

I'm not really sure there's a side to be on here. Both guys are tremendously screwed up and in way over their heads. However, in the case of "Why Did Jesse Beat Walter's Ass?" It's not too hard to see it from his perspective, as Walt is the kind of man who will unknowingly push those buttons in someone. And ultimately, in planting that bug on Jesse's car, his paranoia cost him the only person loyal to him.

Right.

What about when Jesse asked Walt if he wanted to hang out and goto the go-karts? That was Jesse reaching out, needing some company. If Walt wanted to help him, he should have recognized that. Walt wanting to talk was wanting Jesse to explain how the murder went down, to relive that horrifying moment.

In other words, I know how to treat other people even when I disagree with them. Others should take notes.

And look- I didn't need a spokesman or anything!

the worst thing about the above is that you aren't joking. i was posting on my phone over breakfast in rural india using the spottiest wifi you have ever seen. on top of that i said you were wrong in a manner i thought humorous, ergo the smiley. get off your high horse rock, you aren't the paragon of pleasant debate.

as for blaine being my spokesperson...well we have agreed on many things entertainment related over the years and he writes his opinion in a fashion i envy. also i have a man crush on his av.

Holy crap that was a great episode.

And not just because of this.

(that however, did not bother me a bit, no sir)

I know. I felt horrible for Jesse when I found out that he would be stuck in that hell. I mean sitting by the pool with gorgeous bikini clad women fawning over you after a hard days work in lab? No wonder he wanted out of there. He has a meth house back home to get to!

ETA: Did anyone notice that Jesse and Gus were the only two men there who were actively pushing the bikini women away? Even Mike could be seen in the background grabbing a chicks ass. Clearly Jesse and Gus only have eyes for each other.

ETA2: On that subject, anyone interested in reading my Breaking Bad slash? Anyone? .... No?

Yeah, an amazing episode. It starts off with Bryan Cranston being all "Oh, I dont know, how about I win another emmy, BOOM!" I was very surprised when he broke down. I was really starting to think that Walt wasn't capable of such honest self-evaluation anymore. Of course, he tries to back out of it the moment he's sober (and his story about his father, doesn't that explain a hell of a lot about the sort of man Walter is, with his refusal to accept help, to appear weak), but Junior is having none of it.

Meanwhile, Skyler goes and makes a very Walt-like mistake. Ted's stupidity gets to her and she can't help herself. Ted is definitely not long for this world, I think.

And then we had Jesse, Mike and Gus and their little adventure in Mexico. In the lab, Jesse shows exactly how much he's learned from Walter, smacking down the cartel's snooty chemist (the look of pride on Mike's face was great), and delivering the goods. He still has a ways to go - his product isn't at the same level as Walt's (though it makes the cartel overjoyed), but he confirms the faith Gus put in him. Then later, at Don Eladio's villa, Jesse again steps up when Mike gets shot. He doesn't even hesitate, just whirls and unloads a clip into the cartel gunman. I guess all those hours spent playing that video game really came in handy! And now, Jesse is firmly in the Gus/Mike camp. If the fight last episode didn't do it, the events here sure as hell did. Jesse is now Gus' man.

If I was in a nitpicking mood, I might think it's a little convenient that Eladio and all his capos and guards start keeling over at the exact same moment ... but honestly that didn't bother me. I loved every moment of that last scene.

I saw this on reddit:

http://i.imgur.com/5ArxB.png

I dunno, I don't see the motivation.

I think people are seeing things that aren't there. Gus went out of his way to stop Jesse drinking the poisoned tequila. If he or Mike wanted Jesse dead, he'd be dead. It's just a stray hand movement I think, Mike is trying to get into the car while holding the gun and keeping it trained on the house, which can make for some awkward movements.

Archived