BwB Book Club

Inigima

LInkus non functionus

Ha! Apparently I spoiled you with my Graham Joyce post! Before the last board update (a month or so ago) the links would look different than underlines, but now they look exactly the same, and I've tried to click on underlines, too.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Raidne

I hereby would like to stage a protest wherein nobody votes for any book nominated by anyone who did not participate - for all practical purposes - in reading the last nominated book, evidenced by posting about said book in the thread dedicated to that purpose.

Naturally this can be changed at any time by the nominator.

Yes, I care about what you all thought about it that much. :)

ETA: Actually, let me revise that. Trisk, you nominated City of Thieves. You made one contribution to thread as follows:

In my version there is a little 4 page prologue type thing before chapter 1, and the line the Brady posted kicks it off.

Yes, yes, thank you for answering the burning and controversial question on the nature of the first sentence of the book. I'm not sure you should be let off so lightly. :lol:

I'll be voting for the nomination of whoever acts like they might participate in a discussion, i.e. what Ini or Brady nominate.

By the way, here's my list of everyone else that provisionally sucks until further notice:

Angalin

RedEyedGhost

Oceans

Datepalm

The Evil Hat

Papirolle

Lord of Oop North

Lany

Tom Eckert

That will be all. Thank you. :)

Guest Raidne

This is my informal grassroots proposal. As far as I understand it, nominations and voting will continue, officially, in the same manner in which they have been conducted in the past.

So go ahead and nominate something if you can live with the deep and abiding shame. ;)

Yeah, I have no immediate plans to change the official rules, so you can still nominate and vote. You guys do suck, though. An awful lot of people voted for this book and then, apparently, didn't have a damn thing to say about it. I don't know how many of you even read the book you voted for.

Guest Raidne

Hey now, I'm definitely going to read City of Thieves, but I haven't had the chance to get to the library to pick it up yet this month. There are still 13 days left in August ;)

Fine you have 13 days until your "provisionally sucks" status gets downgraded to "categorical suckitude." :P

Edited because I can't spell.

Guest Raidne

Main Entry: 1pro·vi·sion·al

Pronunciation: \prə-ˈvizh-nəl, -ˈvi-zhə-nəl\

Function: adjective

Date: 1601

: serving for the time being : temporary <a provisional government>

— pro·vi·sion·al·ly adverb

vs.

Main Entry: cat·e·gor·i·cal

Pronunciation: \ˌka-tə-ˈgȯr-i-kəl, -ˈgär-\

Variant(s): also cat·e·gor·ic \-ik\

Function: adjective

Etymology: Late Latin categoricus, from Greek katēgorikos, from katēgoria

Date: 1588

1 : absolute, unqualified <a categorical denial>

Just to make it clear that I'm only saying that you suck temporarily.

Not only did I read the chosen book and try to contribute to the discussion, I also went and read one of the other nominated books and now I'm discussing that.

I'm just that awesome.

(Also, I'm just that desperate to actually talk about books with people, since I can't do it in real life. Unless I want to enter one of the many heated discussions I see at work on which FHM girl is hotter.)

Okay then i nominate The Quran translated by MAS Abdel Haleem. I think this is unanimously agreed to be the most readable/understandable version, but its completely lacking in the poetry of the original Arabic.

Its a selfish nomination, because i just started it and i would really like someone to discuss it with who is as dispassionate about it as me.

Like this particular chapter that's been bugging me;

Surah 1; The Cow

(264)You who believe,do not cancel out your charitable deeds with reminders and hurtful words, like someone who spends his wealth only to be seen by people, not believing in God and the Last Day. Such a person is like a rock with earth on it: heavy rain falls and leaves it completely bare. Such people get no rewards for their works: God does not guide the disbelievers.(265) But those who spend their wealth in order to gain God's approval, and as affirmation of their own faith, are like gardens on a hill: heavy rain falls, and it produces double its normal yeild; even if no heavy rain falls, it will still be watered by the dew. God sees all that you do. (266)Would any of you like to have a garden of palm trees and vines, graces with flowing streams and all kinds of produce which, when you are afflicted with old age and feeble offspring, is struck by fiery whirlwind and burnt down ? In this way God makes His messages clear to you, so that you may reflect on them.

What the hell to the bolded.

Archived