Who are the 10 best swordsmen in the series?

Dimnara

I think ten worst swordsman is more fun:

1. Sam

2. Tyrion

3. Sansa

4. Osmund Kettleblack

5. Magister Illyrio

6. Any Frey

7. Wyman Manderly

8. A Dead Rhaegar

9. Mace Tyrell

10. Varys

Hosteen frey is always described as warrior of great repute. He cut through like 4 of manderly's knights. Black walder sounds fierce as well. And Mace was said to have fought well at the blackwater, whether that means he personally fought or not I'm not sure. And Tyrion (somewhat implausibly) killed like 10 guys on the blackwater

Worst 5:

1. Sam

2. Sam (no really it would be Daeron)

3. LF

4. Viserys

5. Aerys

How about the worst swordsmen out of those whom are actual swordsmen/knights? So this should count out the likes of Varys, Sam, Littlefinger, Sansa, etc.

Some of my nominees :

Meryn Trant – Pretty sure that Syrio Forel bested him in that scene. Though a Kingsguard, he’s been described as getting old, sloppy, and all-around no longer worthy of his station.

Horror and Slobber – Have they done anything of note? The Redwynes have a long tradition of renowned knights (Ryam Redwyne), so these two are just an unwanted blotch.

Stafford Lannister – They call him Uncle Dolt.

Mace Tyrel – The guy’s a running joke : incompetent as a war leader and impetuous as a high lord. Good thing he produces excellent fighters for sons, Garlan and Loras.

Boros Blount – Can any Kingsguard be any worse than Meryn Trant? This guy can.

Wylis Manderly – Described to be almost as fat as his father, yet he led his White Harbor regiment into the south with Robb’s army? And he cried when Jaime released him.

Dontos Hollard – Why was this guy even knighted in the first place?

Emmon Cuy and Robar Royce – When you allowed a seventeen-year-old Loras Tyrell to slay you on a two-on-one fight, then you musta been not very good. Granted, Loras was in a trance, and they were probably caught unaware, and Loras has been described to be pretty good anyway, but still, pretty lame outcome there for you two.

Emmon Cuy and Robar Royce – When you allowed a seventeen-year-old Loras Tyrell to slay you on a two-on-one fight, then you musta been not very good. Granted, Loras was in a trance, and they were probably caught unaware, and Loras has been described to be pretty good anyway, but still, pretty lame outcome there for you two.

Well Jaime claims that there wasn't a chance in hell that Brienne would have been able to take these guys on. So they must have some skill, plus they made it onto the Rainbow Guard in the first place. Also Loras wasn't in a trance, he went batshit, bloodlust, roaring rampage of revenge insane. Plus we've been told that he's a godd fighter over and over again.

Well Jaime claims that there wasn't a chance in hell that Brienne would have been able to take these guys on.

I'm pretty sure Hyle Hunt is the one who says this, not Jaime.

I agree that Emmon and Robar are supposed to be good fighters, though and that Loras is supposed to be very, very good.

I'm not sure Brienne deserves to be on the list - in Feast, Ser Hyle says he believes her about not killing Renly, because she wasn't up to killing most of the people in his Kingsguard. He names one or two specifically that were better than her, but they weren't knights who made this list. So I'm reluctantly going to count her off.

And Jon himself admits he's not great, so we can't count him either.

In no particular order:

Arthur Dayne - he's consistently rated the best swordsman in recent history. Even if he is dead.

Jaime Lannister (2 hands)

Syrio Forrell

Sandor Clegane

Barristan the Bold

The Halfhand

Gregor Clegane, by virtue of brute strength

Garlan Tyrell

Loras Tyrell

Strong Belwas

This is essentially my list and my order, although I don't have Belwas on it. He doesn't ssem to use a sword as his primary weapon, at least where we've seen him fight.

And, I Selmy up a notch or two. He is old, but he's dominated everyone he's fought. Younger, stronger foes, and even multiple opponents. And, the Hound falters when drunk and takes a lot of injuries when fighting two or three at a time. And, I'd throw Bronn on the list. The proof is in the pudding. He seems to best everyone he fights.

Loras is at the bottom.of any list. He is a tourney Knight at first. And, when he enters real battle he is grievously injured.

All told:

1. Arthur Dayne

2. Jamie

3. Selmy

4. Syrio

5. Bronn

6. Halfhand

7. Hound

8. Garlan

9. Mountain

10. Loras

• 3 months later...

Greatest Swordsmen alive in series, in their prime.

Swordsmen-

Barristan Selmy- According to Martin, it would be a toss up between Selmy and Dayne without Dawn.

Jaime Lannister

Syrio Forel- Whooped like 7 armored guys ass with a wooden sword. Gotta assume the first sword is SUPER skilled.

Sandor Clegane- When not completely drunk.

Qhorin Halfhand

Bronn

Brienne- I think in a few years could be in top 3 of this list. She just hasn't has many oppurtunities in real battle.

Garlan Tyrell

Randyll Tarly- Jon claims a swordsman must be as good as his sword, and Randyll's had his valyrian his whole life. That and hes called the greatest soldier in Westeros.

Beric Dondarrion- Went toe to toe for a while with one of the best- the hound.

honorable mentions-

Mance Rayder- handily beat Jon without breaking a sweat.

Loras Tyrell

Also, Barristan claims one of his squires in Meereen is the best natural swordsman he'd seen since Jaime Lannister.

Best Warrior alive in series in prime-

1.Barristan Selmy

2.Khal Drogo- Best fighter in history of the whole Dothraki people.

3.Robert Baratheon

4.Jaime Lannister

5.Areo Hotah- The way he calmly beheaded Arys makes me think is rediculously skilled, we just havn't seen him challenged. Reminds me of a samurai.

6.Sandor Clegane

7.Oberyn Martell

8.Gregor Clegane- Seems kinda far down the list, but i really think everybody above him would beat him.

9. Andrik the Unsmiling- best fighter on a chain of islands with small population compared to mainland.

10. Victarion Greyjoy

Honorable mentions-

Bronze Yohn Royce- everyone who talks about him claims how much of a dynamo he is all around at tourneys.

Qhorin Halfhand

Best fighters all time-

1. Arthur Dayne

2 .Daemon Blackfyre- According to Eustace Osgrey, he was better than the dragonknight and the "warrior himself" with his sword, Blackfyre, on the redgrass field.

3. Barristan Selmy

4. Gerold Hightower

5. Gwayne Corbray- Had an hour long duel with the second greatest fighter of all time before being defeated.

6. Aemon the Dragonknight.

7. Khal Drogo

8. Jaime Lannister

9. Robert baratheon- took the iron throne by force.

10. Rhaegar Targaryen

honorable mentions-

Bloodraven- Legolas like skill with bow

Bittersteel- Huge duel with Bloodraven

Maekor and Baelor breakspear- the hammer and the anvil

Serwyn of the mirrorshield- Slayed a dragon single handed.

The Smiling Knight

Good list, but missing some fighters for honorable mention.

Harras Harlaw

Qarl the Maid

Lyn Corbray

Darkstar

Greatest Swordsmen alive in series, in their prime.

Swordsmen-

Barristan Selmy- According to Martin, it would be a toss up between Selmy and Dayne without Dawn.

Jaime Lannister

Syrio Forel- Whooped like 7 armored guys ass with a wooden sword. Gotta assume the first sword is SUPER skilled.

Sandor Clegane- When not completely drunk.

Qhorin Halfhand

Bronn

Brienne- I think in a few years could be in top 3 of this list. She just hasn't has many oppurtunities in real battle.

Garlan Tyrell

Randyll Tarly- Jon claims a swordsman must be as good as his sword, and Randyll's had his valyrian his whole life. That and hes called the greatest soldier in Westeros.

Beric Dondarrion- Went toe to toe for a while with one of the best- the hound.

honorable mentions-

Mance Rayder- handily beat Jon without breaking a sweat.

Loras Tyrell

Also, Barristan claims one of his squires in Meereen is the best natural swordsman he'd seen since Jaime Lannister.

Best Warrior alive in series in prime-

1.Barristan Selmy

2.Khal Drogo- Best fighter in history of the whole Dothraki people.

3.Robert Baratheon

4.Jaime Lannister

5.Areo Hotah- The way he calmly beheaded Arys makes me think is rediculously skilled, we just havn't seen him challenged. Reminds me of a samurai.

6.Sandor Clegane

7.Oberyn Martell

8.Gregor Clegane- Seems kinda far down the list, but i really think everybody above him would beat him.

9. Andrik the Unsmiling- best fighter on a chain of islands with small population compared to mainland.

10. Victarion Greyjoy

Honorable mentions-

Bronze Yohn Royce- everyone who talks about him claims how much of a dynamo he is all around at tourneys.

Qhorin Halfhand

Best fighters all time-

1. Arthur Dayne

2 .Daemon Blackfyre- According to Eustace Osgrey, he was better than the dragonknight and the "warrior himself" with his sword, Blackfyre, on the redgrass field.

3. Barristan Selmy

4. Gerold Hightower

5. Gwayne Corbray- Had an hour long duel with the second greatest fighter of all time before being defeated.

6. Aemon the Dragonknight.

7. Khal Drogo

8. Jaime Lannister

9. Robert baratheon- took the iron throne by force.

10. Rhaegar Targaryen

honorable mentions-

Bloodraven- Legolas like skill with bow

Bittersteel- Huge duel with Bloodraven

Maekor and Baelor breakspear- the hammer and the anvil

Serwyn of the mirrorshield- Slayed a dragon single handed.

The Smiling Knight

Good list, but missing some fighters for honorable mention.

Harras Harlaw

Qarl the Maid

Lyn Corbray

Darkstar

Duncan The Tall

Humfrey Hardyng

Humfrey Beesbury

Lyonel Baratheon

I would say:

1. Jaimie Lannister (two handed)

2. Syrio Forel

3. Sandor Clegane

4. Brienne of Tarth

5. Jon Snow (in the last book)

6. Gregor Clegane (he's freaking big and hard to kill, but I would not count this as swordfighting skill)

7. Victarion Greyjoy

8. Barristan Selmy

Substitue John Snow for Kahl Drogo.

Remember, you have to be the best warrior in the group to stay in command of a Kahl. And drogo was in command of the largest kahl in the world and never lost a fight.

Ned Stark wouldn't allow Howland Reed to use a weapon he is known for because he is too honorable? And yet, he is fighting them 7 vs. 3. I mean really?

These posts that all point to 7 v 3 aren't referring to any names besides Ned, Howland, and Dayne. But actually, the other two Kingsguard were the Lord Commander - "The Bull" Gerold Hightower - and Oswell Whent. Both were good swordsmen, and Hightower is referred to multiple times in the novels as being well respected and feared. As for the others brought with Ned - Willam Dustin, Ethan Glover, Martyn Cassel, Theo Wull, and Mark Ryswell - certainly are all families we've heard of but no one that stands out as being a tourney winner or famous swordsman. How in the heck did seven non-notable guys defeat 3 of the greatest swordsmen in the realm?! Well, I pulled the quote from the text.

“I looked for you on the Trident,” Ned said to them. “We were not there,” Ser Gerold answered. “Woe to the Usurper if we had been,” said Ser Oswell. “When King’s Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were.” “Far away,” Ser Gerold said, “or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells.” “I came down on Storm’s End to lift the siege,” Ned told them, and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them.” “Our knees do not bend easily,” said Ser Arthur Dayne. “Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him.” “Ser Willem is a good man and true,” said Ser Oswell. “But not of the Kingsguard,” Ser Gerold pointed out. “The Kingsguard does not flee.” “Then or now,” said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm. “We swore a vow,” explained old Ser Gerold. Ned’s wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three. “And now it begins,” said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light. “No,” Ned said with sadness in his voice. “Now it ends.”
Odd how it's phrased - Ned's wraiths with shadow swords.

I would say:

1. Jaimie Lannister (two handed)

2. Syrio Forel

3. Sandor Clegane

4. Brienne of Tarth

5. Jon Snow (in the last book)

6. Gregor Clegane (he's freaking big and hard to kill, but I would not count this as swordfighting skill)

7. Victarion Greyjoy

8. Barristan Selmy

How can it be Jon Snow when Mance dismantle's him in ADWD? I think Sandor would probably kick Jamie's ass. Remember, Jamie has an inflated sense of himself, he's shocked when Loras unhorses. Basically we keeping hearing about how awesome Jamie is in battle, but mostly we only see him getting his ass kicked. He beats up on some 16 year old kids in the Whispering Wood, but he's still in the midst of getting his ass kicked. Garlan Tyrell has probably gotta be up there pretty high too.

Firstly I'd like to point out that I'm not going to rank them from top to bottom this is just a general list.

Eddard Stark ( he defeated three of Aerys II kingsgaurd Ser Arthur Dayne chiefly among them and would have killed Ser Jaime given the opportunity this makes him a bad ass in my mind)

Howland Reed ( he was with Eddard at the tower of joy in fact he was the only other person to survive the battle so he must be awesome)

Bronn ( killed Ser Vardis and survived the battle of the blackwater emerging with a knighthood not your average sell sword for sure)

Rhaegar Targaryen ( according to everything written about him he had the Midas touch, he pissed excellence)

Barristan Selmy ( what hasn't he done? he's the most feared and respected knight in all of westeros he could beat ten Ser Jaimes with one hand behind his back)

Garlan Tryell ( he's everything a knight should be and very modest about it, also he trains against four guys at once so he has to be a bad ass)

Loras Tyrell ( he's like his older brother very skilled with a sword but he lacks his brother's strength of character)

Sandor Clegane ( the hound is a fierce man and brings that intensity to any fight he's in, he defeated Lord Beric even despite the fact he faced his worst fear fire)

Kahl Drogo ( he was never defeated in combat and only died cause he tore off a bandage)

Aemon the Dragonknight ( he's legendary every kid grows up wanting to be like him he's supposedly the noblest knight who ever lived)

Well that's my ten although I could have easily made this list larger.

Mance, why doesn't he come up on anyone's list. He soundly beat Jon, and had to fight very skilled Wildling fighters to become King-Beyond-the-Wall

ETA: Forgot about my list. I'm going with SWORDSMEN only:

Impossible to number this list, as Selmy says, one slip on wet grass and you're done for in a fight. Part of it is luck.

-Sandor Clegane

-Jaime Lannister (two hands)

-Brienne

-Barristan Selmy

-Syrio Fiorel

-Bronn Stokeworth

-Gregor Clegane

-Qhorin Halfhand (while alive obv)

-Garlan Tyrell

-Loras Tyrell (though he's not as good as The Mountain, elsewise why did he let The Hound fight him at the Tourney?)

How can it be Jon Snow when Mance dismantle's him in ADWD? I think Sandor would probably kick Jamie's ass. Remember, Jamie has an inflated sense of himself, he's shocked when Loras unhorses. Basically we keeping hearing about how awesome Jamie is in battle, but mostly we only see him getting his ass kicked. He beats up on some 16 year old kids in the Whispering Wood, but he's still in the midst of getting his ass kicked. Garlan Tyrell has probably gotta be up there pretty high too.

Sandor seems to be a good fighter......only when sober

(OK that goes for most ppl, lol)

Black walder sounds fierce as well.

You know it.

And Tyrion (somewhat implausibly) killed like 10 guys on the blackwater

But Tyrion's an axeman. ;)

I don't personally have any trouble suspending disbelief on Tyrion's feats in battle. The guy is short, not weak. His low center of gravity may have even been an advantage on the unstable bridge of boats at the Blackwater. Plus he's filthy rich with the vastly superior armor that affords him, and has been trained for this stuff since he was a kid like any other nobleman.

In no particular order

Lyn Corbrey - Many in this thread have not listed him, but it is implied in a few of Littlefinger's and Sansa's chapters that he is one of the deadliest men in Westeros

Barristan - He may be old, but in his youth, he was one of the best KGs to ever hold a sword. I am sure he could still kill most of the knights in Westeros in single combat.

Syrio - Killed multiple Lannister guards with a wooden sword while being outnumbered at least 4 to 1

Sandor

Brienne

Jon Snow

Stong Belwas

Gregor/Sir Strong

Khal Drogo

Bronn

I left out swordsmen who were dead before the series began, and also Jaime because he is pretty useless now without his hand

Archived