Video Games Megathread Number A Billion

Inigima

I'm ok with the basic RPG formula, but DQ elevates cliché to an artform. I beat the very first one on the NES, but I can't deal with the recent ones. Slimes are adorbz though.

DQ Monsters: Rocket Slime for the DS was also quite a bit of stupid fun. I thought DQM: Joker was prettyvbad though.

DQ Monsters: Rocket Slime for the DS was also quite a bit of stupid fun. I thought DQM: Joker was prettyvbad though.

Rocket Slime was great! That bit where it played the "you've just saved your game" church music and all the slimes in the church were singing along, cracked me up every time. Yeah, I have simple tastes.

Yeah, the space fighting thing was pretty neat. The mechanics were decent.

A few gripes with matchmaking:

- Team Slayer playlist almost always turns into SWAT. I hate swat, and I want to use equipment.

- The ranked portion barely makes sense, and is not interesting to me

- Otherwise, it's great.

I'll never understand people that choose Swat in Halo. If I wanted to die in one headshot I would play Modern Warfare 2.

I love Elite Slayer in Big Team Battle. Everyone has Plasma Grenades/Plasma Pistols so hopping in a vehicle can be really dangerous. Also you can start with a Needler, which I love.

I'm ok with the basic RPG formula, but DQ elevates cliché to an artform. I beat the very first one on the NES, but I can't deal with the recent ones. Slimes are adorbz though.

The cliche is kind of why I play the DQ games. I grab them for the old school predictable story so I can just sit back any not think about the plot really. I have other games/series for engaging plots.

DIX was fun for those nostalgic reasons, but I would never recommend it as a good RPG.

On another CD Projekt note, I've been playing The Witcher. I'm most of the way through act 3 of 5 and it's excellent. Wonderful setting; simple, yet fun gameplay and actual moral ambiguity. Basically dark fantasy done right that puts Dragon Age to shame.

Meh, the plot is pretty linear. And having him sleep with women does not necessarily mean moral ambiguity. But then again, i didn't have it in me too finish the game. Perhaps i should give it another go.

On another CD Projekt note, I've been playing The Witcher. I'm most of the way through act 3 of 5 and it's excellent. Wonderful setting; simple, yet fun gameplay and actual moral ambiguity. Basically dark fantasy done right that puts Dragon Age to shame.

I've been playing Dragon Age a alot lately and I keep on going back. The Witcher, well, I just got bored of it. Different strokes I suppose.

I have to bang Morrigan. It's a pity you cant have a threesome with both Alistair and Morrigan - the dirty talk would be amazing.

ETA: Damn - I just googled Threesome with Alistair and Morrigan and am glad to report I ain't the only freak in the room.

Meh, the plot is pretty linear. And having him sleep with women does not necessarily mean moral ambiguity. But then again, i didn't have it in me too finish the game. Perhaps i should give it another go.

The sex does not constitute moral ambiguity, nor is it presented as such.

What makes the game good are the various choices you have to make, which have consequences so far down the line that you can't simply reload and replay five minutes to change them. Also, in most cases none of the choices offered are particularly desirable, all come with some negative consequences attached.

And the realisation of who the villain of the story is is a great moment, bonus points for him apparently having a decent reason for his actions.

I've been playing Dragon Age a alot lately and I keep on going back. The Witcher, well, I just got bored of it. Different strokes I suppose.

I didn't get bored of it. I got annoyed with it. The boss at the end of Act I was a bitch and a half. Turns out I pretty much needed spectral oil to kill the goatfucker. I didn't have any. To get some, I would have had to reload a save from an hour or two prior. I didn't want to do that. So I beat my head against it for a while ("okay, two attempts per night. I'll get it eventually") before I stumbled across a save editor, with which I gave myself the oil. The oil made him much, much easier; first attempt, no problem. Okay, so that was nice. Except once I get into the city the very first quest I attempted bugged and wouldn't finish. So I shelve it out of exasperation.

I'll go back some day. Just not today. Or tomorrow.

The boss at the end of Act I was a bitch and a half. Turns out I pretty much needed spectral oil to kill the goatfucker. I didn't have any. To get some, I would have had to reload a save from an hour or two prior. I didn't want to do that. So I beat my head against it for a while ("okay, two attempts per night. I'll get it eventually") before I stumbled across a save editor, with which I gave myself the oil. The oil made him much, much easier; first attempt, no problem. Okay, so that was nice. Except once I get into the city the very first quest I attempted bugged and wouldn't finish. So I shelve it out of exasperation.

That first boss fight was tough, but nowhere near that impossible. I never made heavy use of the various oils.

Which quest bugged out, btw?

EXACTLY.

I too love Elite Slayer. Had a great game of it yesterday. The Invasion Slayer games are kind of retarded. It can get really one sided really quick.

And I'll say it again, I find I am much more enamored with the Needle Rifle than the DMR. The DMR seems to be kind of random. I've had it take much more than 4 shots to take down a shield, or at least it seems that way.

I don't play much Modern Warfare so I dig SWAT, but there are certainly tons of options I would choose over it. Elite Slayer is definitely one of those, I love it. I would rather have the Needle Rifle than DMR and have picked it at every opportunity... although the past few games I've been content with the DMR. Safe to say I have no qualms about using either weapon. Still would pick Needle Rifle combo because it comes with plasmas.

Played Invasion Slayer only a few times now, and I never really understood what's going on it until recently. I've had a couple really fun games in it regardless, but also a couple one-sided boring ones.

Playing Dead Rising 2 now. It's basically the same as Dead Rising 1 but the survivors are smart and strong, which makes the game much less frustrating.

Psychopaths are really tough though. Brandon, the 1st psychopath I fought, carved my ass up with a shard of glass. I managed to beat him by cheesing. Leon, the 2nd psychopath I fought, was riding a dirtbike with running chainsaws protruding on both sides. I had a spiked bat and an umbrella to fight him with. Needless to say, I ran away like a bitch. Survivors get unlimited ammo when using firearms so I'm going to lead a posse of survivors armed with merc assault rifles and pistols. They should be able to handle those damn psychopaths.

Also, killing zombies is still incredible fun. I haven't built many of the badass combo weapons because I've been focusing on the cases and survivors. I really want to build these two: knife gloves (http://deadrising.wikia.com/wiki/Knife_Gloves) and laser sword (http://deadrising.wikia.com/wiki/Laser_Sword_(Dead_Rising_2)).

Archived