Video Games Megathread Number A Billion

Inigima

It depends on why you disliked the 1st. They have made a lot of improvements: better aiming, combo weapons, smarter survivors, and stronger survivors. It still has time limits, which I know a lot of gamers hate.

I watched my flatmate hook up two chainsaws to the end of a paddle and cut a bloody swathe through a horde of zombies. Now I want it.

It depends on why you disliked the 1st. They have made a lot of improvements: better aiming, combo weapons, smarter survivors, and stronger survivors. It still has time limits, which I know a lot of gamers hate.

Got it, seems good based on the short time I played it. The loading screens at the start are as annoying as hell though.

The time limits pissed me off in the first one. Going by the blurb, I assumed it was basically a sandbox where I could spend 72 REAL-LIFE hours RPing in a zombie infested mall. Actually having to do stuff in a set time was annoying. Same way GTA4 pissed me off with the stupid phone ringing all the time and making me have to interact with characters when I just wanted to chill out and drive around causing mayhem.

I watched my flatmate hook up two chainsaws to the end of a paddle and cut a bloody swathe through a horde of zombies. Now I want it.

You can combine spray paint and a pylon to create an air horn, which will cause the zombies heads to pop like grapes.

You are a God once you get the knife gloves. I can kill TK's mercenaries with one swipe. Firearms are garbage so I've stopped using them. I give all firearms, except shotguns, to the survivors. If I give them shotguns, they constantly hit my ass with buckshot.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light is both ridiculously good--c'mon, an isometric Tomb Raider that isn't shit? Surely you joke--and a mere $15. Recommended.

Basically, the puzzles are solid, the acrobatics are pretty fluid and natural, the shooting and dodging is fun, the giant enemies are fun, the swarms of enemies are fun...there...there isn't much to not like. It autosaves all the damn time, too, so you're never going to lose more than a few seconds of progress. Well, I dunno, maybe a minute or two in the case of boss battles.

I want to call this the best Tomb Raider, but I only previously played Legend, so that wouldn't be honest. What I can say is that it's head and shoulders above Legend, which had fairly unimpressive combat and maddening boss battles.

Ended up getting Darksiders. Its a total God of War ripoff, and I am admittedly getting rather tired of these sorts of games, buts it is still decently fun. The graphics aren't totally up to snuff, but it is THQ so the main character looks like he's straight out of Warhammer 40K, and it does actually use a lot of the same voice actors as Dawn of War. The main character in fact is voiced by the guy who was the Space Marine Capt. in the first DoW so I keep expecting him to start screaming 'For the Emperor' in battle, so that's fun.

Glad I didn't pay anything close to full price for it, but its not bad.

I'm putting off getting Halo Reach because I only just got Halo 3 a couple weeks so I'm planning on that lasting a while, and also there are other full-price games coming up I want more. Hopefully I can wait out Halo Reach until the price drops some; tho with these super-blockbuster games that might not be for a while.

Absolutely fucking retarded.

What the fuck.

Although EA and Medal of Honour are pretty stupid anyway, and this is basically a rename that means nothing since they will still look like Taliban, act like Taliban and AK47 like Taliban. But even so to kowtow to moronic pressure like this is just dumb.

IT IS A GAME.

People have been able to play as terrorists in CS for years. As the Axis forces in oh so many games.

/facedesk.

I'm dissapointed that Electronics Art caved to the pressure. They are called "Opposing Force" now instead of Taliban, despite the fact that they're clearly Taliban fighters.

I just finished Dead Rising 2. I got the S ending, which is the best one. I'm going to start a New Game+ to have fun. Hopefully, I'll reach level 50.

Of course, it really, really doesn't matter if they call them Taliban or not, so it doesn't matter if EA caves to the pressure.

Hell, you can fight the Taliban in America's Army, even if they are called Opfor there. Amusingly, since the Army doesn't want people to be, um, killing soldiers in its recruiting tool, you always see your side as the US and the enemy is always opfor.

America's Army

Is this any good? I remember giving it a brief whirl when it first came out, but that was looong ago. It seemed pretty ho hum back then. Anything changed?

Medal of Honor open beta on steam right now. How can I not try it? Downloading...

EDIT: wow, the MOH beta download size is extremely reasonable, only 1.7gb. They must have actually made an effort to cut it back.

People have been able to play as terrorists in CS for years. As the Axis forces in oh so many games.

Not defending or attacking the decision to take the name off of the Taliban but this is not an argument that has validity. Fake terrorists means nothing. Playing the Axis is completely different as WW2 is not ongoing and was almost 70 years ago. I'm wondering though what the response would be if you would asked a veteran of say the Omaha Beach landing how he'd feel about letting kids play as the Germans that killed his friends.

Poobah, I agree with you overall, but the distinction Slurktan is making is that this is a case in which American forces are currently militarily engaged, as opposed to a conflict from 50 or 60 years ago, and that it might be fresher in people's minds.

Noone seems to care that we kill the Germans all the time as American or occasionally British soldiers in these games.

No one cared that you could play as the Wehrmacht and kill Allied soldiers in COD: World at War's multiplayer either. The difference is that, as Slurktan said, WW2 is pretty far from being a current event and probably also has something to do with the fact that you're playing as the Wehrmacht and not, say, the Waffen-SS.

EA got exactly what they wanted and no doubt expected -- publicity.

Archived