Video Games Megathread Number A Billion

Inigima

I think ME2 has slightly more content than you give it credit for in the shootykill department though. I think there are around 20 side-missions (actual shootykill ones, not "oh you found this item in a plot mission, bring it to someone for some bonus exp and stuff" ones) including a few 2-4 mission chains you can pick up. Most of them are started via finding anomalies while scanning though. Now when I replay I just look up where they are located though, I don't search for them :P Some are only 5-10 mins, but some are longish too.

I actually powered through all the assignments a night or two ago. It took two, maybe three hours. The most notable thing about them was the complete and utter lack of voice acting. It was really jarring, given that the rest of the game is all about the talking.

I certainly know what you mean about there only being a very limited enemy selection. But even in games with massive amounts of different enemies, they mostly all actually behave identically in terms of AI and are just humans with different skins. Fantasy games have a much better time when it comes to having loads of different types of enemies. I think ME2 is ok in terms of enemy variety though, there are hm, three different types of mechs, four or five types of Geth, the few Blood Pack guys, the few Eclipse types, the few Blue Suns types, the husks, scions and the other big husky thing, several types of collector, there are a few types of animals and a few other misc things like the automated defence turrets and crap, probably some stuff I forgot too.

In comparison with, I dunno, Max Payne there's a decent variety of enemies. In comparison with BG1/2/ToB, which is my point of reference for all thing Bioware, it's sorely lacking. It's also really hilarious that you run into the same mercenaries wherever you go.

Also it has the worst end boss in the history of ever, so there's that.

The closest i have had, at least of the games that i still play, is Left4Dead 1 and 2.

I keep wishing I could go back to the first twenty or so hours I put into l4d coop. Because I swear, everytime my group wiped I laughed and laughed and laughed because everything was so new and awesome. Holy shit, there was a horde and then a charger and ahahahaha.

Actually, I think vs is ruining me. As much as I enjoy it, it activates my competitive mode so I don't laugh at my losses, I rage that we're down points and omgwe'relosingI'msomad.

But in Halo 3, when i was scooting around on an ATV with a marine behind me firing rockets at a giant Scarab (basically a giant spider that fires lightning from its mouth), and all around me are ten or so other ATVs all firing rockets, i was in fucking AWE. I laughed and giggled like a little girl. Because i enjoy those moments, and few FPS deliver them like Halo does. Gears did not, at any point. The closest i have had, at least of the games that i still play, is Left4Dead 1 and 2.

Halo 3 also delivered one of the worst levels in FPS history though. That Cortana level, I can't believe they even playtested that because otherwise, how in the hell would it get released? It was atrocious.

No, my problem is that all the baddies have been doubled in strength. Now a couple of Grunts and a few Jackals can pose a lethal threat. They are all expert marksman, and unless its a head shot, they can take multiple rounds. Still, not that bad...i can handle some tweaks.

But the fucking Elites shielding is retarded now. I have dropped a Plasma grenade on them and seen the creature survive...in no other game could that happen. On top of that, they run like fucking cheetahs now and are almost impossible to scope. At one point an entire clip from the assault rifle was enough to bring their shields down, a good rush and a swift smack and bobs your uncle. Now i have to unelash an entire clip, smack them, and then finish them off with my secondary gun or retreat until i can relaod...thats if they don't teleport behind me and hit me to death.

It's not that they've doubled in strength - it's that human tech sucks back then. The spartan armor isn't as good as it is in Halo 3, the weapons aren't nearly as powerful as they were because they didn't know any better, and this isn't an occupation force you're facing - it's a crack invasion squad. It kinda made sense to me.

So far reach looks incredible. There are enough different things in there that really spice things up, and I love that you can drive a forklift to ultimate victory.

It's not that they've doubled in strength - it's that human tech sucks back then. The spartan armor isn't as good as it is in Halo 3, the weapons aren't nearly as powerful as they were because they didn't know any better, and this isn't an occupation force you're facing - it's a crack invasion squad. It kinda made sense to me.

So far reach looks incredible. There are enough different things in there that really spice things up, and I love that you can drive a forklift to ultimate victory.

Meh, maybe you have made some good points, but the small and mean part of me refuses to accept your logic.

In any case, its a small enough complaint to not matter in the overall scheme of things.

Got Arkham Asylum for 14.99 on Play.com.

Fuck me. This is what Batman was meant to be. I love being about a year or so behind on the console gaming front.

Picked Batman and 3 others up for less than 60 quid.

Agreed. Have you got to the Killer Croc level yet? It's pretty epic. I never passed the game but I should have. Catwoman is going to play a major role in the sequel, Batman: Arkham City.

Got Arkham Asylum for 14.99 on Play.com.

Fuck me. This is what Batman was meant to be. I love being about a year or so behind on the console gaming front.

I really really want to get this game. But im also half way through ME2 and i haven't even started Bioshock 2 yet. I always end up running back to Split second. I STILL can't do the fucking time trails.

All this reach talk has also seriously got me considering whether or not i should just get a (working) 360.

Now you make me want to remake my infiltrator and get the widow.

From the wiki

# The Widow, with all damage and bonus upgrades becomes severely damaging when used in Heightened Adrenaline Rush. With a headshot, the Widow can apply 1600 damage to armor, and around 1200 to shields and health. However, if used in Heightened Adrenaline Rush with Tungsten Ammo, it can deal a whopping 1900 damage to armored foes, which on any mode except Hardcore and Insanity is usually enough to take out most opponents in one hit, with certain exceptions (Heavy Mechs, Praetorians, Scions, sometimes Harbinger). Inferno Ammo also generates similar damage.

So, yeah. Exploding heads. Everywhere. At all times.

Although I guess adrenaline rush means the soldier is actually the best sniper class. Goddammit.

So, i geeked out on Reach tonight, and though i didn't finish it...i'm not sure how far i am in the scheme of things, i'm in fucking awe of this game. Everything just flows, the battles are solid and well thought out, and hard....and i'm loving it now.

I know where the story goes, in the end, but i've just had my first moment of drama, and it honestly touched my cold and bitter heart. I think by the end of this game i'm going to be a bit weepy.

Coco, the weakest thing about reach so far are the weapons. The DMR got nothing on the BR, even tho it tries. Still, great game.

You, sir, are on crack. Once you get that thing going, it makes the BR look like a piece of shit. This is easily my favorite gun so far, it only needs a few more rounds. Also, i read somewhere on the internets that its actually more powerful than that piece of shit BR, which i never much used at all.

Please refrain from drugs before posting.

Man, you crazy. If I didn't have a BR in the other games, I'd feel lost and scared.

Crazy fucking good, you mean.

Assault rifle is still a solid, solid gun. I'd usually combine it with a shotgun or a Covi weapon. I mean, i'd use the BR when needs called for it. The best combination for most situations will always be an AR with an Elite energy sword. Gravity Hammer if i can find one. Move quick and engage at close to medium range.

So I've played some Halo: Reach co-op and it's pretty fun. I honestly think the Bungie Halo games are like a Blizzard product, not particularly innovative in any way, but so refined and good at what they do as to make them spectacular. However I should also note I haven't really played many FPS's beyond Left For Dead in the last little bit but when you pull off a good flanking move in Halo: Reach it just feels good. The gun emplacements on the Nightfall stage are a good place for it, just fun to have one person draw the attention with a head on assault, while the other scoots up the rocks on the side and then gets some free kills from unsuspecting aliens.

I'm also on a bit of a Three Kingdoms binge so I've been playing ROTK11 and a great little gem called Legend of Cao Cao. That game was never released in English but an enterprising fan took it upon herself to translate the whole game and it is a really fun tactics/strategy game and it's only like 3mbs.

Also getting ready to blow yet another 20 bucks into Rock Band, Bob Marley's Legend album comes out next week!

Archived