Soccer #23

Renasko

Well, after dissolving the main supporter groups at the end of last season, PSG's president decided to force a random seating in Parc des Princes this season, effectively ending any form of organized supporter groups.

Interesting. Was this done because of crowd troubles or just for shits and giggles?

Interesting. Was this done because of crowd troubles or just for shits and giggles?

Allegedly because of crowd troubles. PSG supporters have been considered for many years as the most problematic fans in France, for some serious and some not-so-serious reasons (the "anti-ch'ti banner" affair was really ridiculous for instance). Mostly, there were problems between opposing factions among the PSG fans (injuries and even deaths in recent years)

I haven't been following everything that's been going on but the Wikipedia article seems comprehensive (if not up to date with current season situation)

By the way, this article provides some figures : PSG is supported by 11% of the French population, which is a lot, but not so much when you know that the Parisian (+suburbs) population is about 20% of the population (in comparison, Marseille is supported by 20%, but has only about 3% of the population...)

Allegedly because of crowd troubles. PSG supporters have been considered for many years as the most problematic fans in France, for some serious and some not-so-serious reasons (the "anti-ch'ti banner" affair was really ridiculous for instance). Mostly, there were problems between opposing factions among the PSG fans (injuries and even deaths in recent years)

I haven't been following everything that's been going on but the Wikipedia article seems comprehensive (if not up to date with current season situation)

I remember reading about a lot of those incidents. I wonder why the usual fan outreach programs that have been pretty successful at most other top level clubs in western Europe apparently failed to have much of an impact at PSG.

Good game, indeed. Newcastle continue to impress with their hard-working performances. Shame Afra was injured, as a little more magic in midfield would be pleasing to see.

ben afra is missed in the midfield, but you have to hand it to the boys. they are just playing so hard. this is not the team of two, three and four years ago that had a habit of dissolving in the back four, offering no service to its strikers and generally laying down against opponents.

i am so happy that they have strung together three wins in a row. honestly, there are two or three previous matches that should have been three points that they let slip by.

is this a team that will challenge for europa league? a boy can hope.

is this a team that will challenge for europa league? a boy can hope.

With United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton looking to be in there, I think it's going to be a nice fight! Not sure if Newcastle can maintain their start to the season, though. Depends on the January transfer window and what business the other clubs do.

With United, Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Tottenham, Liverpool and Everton looking to be in there, I think it's going to be a nice fight! Not sure if Newcastle can maintain their start to the season, though. Depends on the January transfer window and what business the other clubs do.

i agree. and they will likely not spend any money. ben afra was a free loan with option to buy. so, they did not spend a lot of cash in the summer window. for me they need to look into a midfielder who can replace ben afra. but, a guy like that would not be cheap.

selling milner and n'zogbia away still irks me. those lads would be great to have.

Werder's defense is even more catastrophic than usual this season (Naldo usually can keep them somewhat together, with him injured all season so far it's pure chaos), and the attack is not quite good enough to compensate for 6 conceded goals. Dortmund now leads Mainz by four points, Leverkusen by seven and Frankfurt of all teams is in fourth (thanks to an in-form Gekas) 9 points behind. Bayern are on 16 points, 12 short of Dortmund's haul so far.

Crazy season that after 11 games averages about 3.2 goals per game. Usually this number only approaches 3 towards the end of the season when there are a lot of high scoring games between teams that don't have anything to win or lose anymore.

For comparison: the Premier League currently stands at 2.6, the Primera Division at 2.7, Seria A at 2.2 and Ligue 1 at 2.3.

Great win by Liverpool yesterday. I was leaping around and punching the air. They haven't captured that spirit in a long while. I just hope Torres is back to himself now.

But we were fortunate to come up against a weak Chelsea team. Ramires and Mikel lost the midfield battle (Essien and Lampard would have made a big difference). Malouda always looked dangerous, and Anelka was a threat just waiting to burst into life, but they didn't have much going forward until the Drogba battering-ram was brought on. Terry got away with his usual thuggery -- nothing new there.

ManU looked very weak, Arsenal were very unfortunate and had a lot of good chances but suspect at the back, City were fortunate (saved twice by the post/bar), Spurs looked like they had never met each other before (scoreline would have been much worse but for two improbable wonder-strikes), and Villa look set to sulk in mid-table. It's a great time for some of the "smaller" teams to play attacking football and go for it.

Scotland are supposedly going for an experimental look for their next fixtures. Youngsters Danny Wilson (L'pool) and Barry Bannan (Villa) are supposedly going to be included. I'm disappointed there's no mention of James Forrest. I'm imagining it's more to do with his recent injury, unfortunately. However, there'll be a couple of club games before then, in which he could feature.

Archived