The Thread for the NBA

add-on

Not at all. They played bad basketball, quite deservedly lost to teams who didn't play no-defense run-and-dumb nonsense every single year, and I for one am glad to see their failure.

well...who cares what you think :P

Only me, as it should be. I'm not saying the Suns weren't popular among casual fans, and if their style entertained you it doesn't displease me, but I think the popularity comes down more to marketing than anything else. ESPN crows about how no-defense basketball is fun and people start to believe it.

ESPN crows about how no-defense basketball is fun and people start to believe it.

Well for some maybe. I play a lot of basektball and my personal style dictates a commitment on defense. I grew up watching the Knicks and my favorite player was Charles Oakley so, yeah. The thing about the Suns was the beauty of the game they played. With Nash running the point and those two beasts on the wings (Marion WAS a beast for a few years in that system) the Suns played at a pace and with a style that only incredible athletes could pull off. It was great fun to watch. They had a very legitimate shot at taking out the Spurs in 07.

So when is the NBA going to wise up and put a minimum games played requirement on being voted to the All Star team?

For the most part, I think the East got it exactly right. Personal bias would like to see Rondo in there as a starter, but its hard to argue with Derrick Rose's all around game. However, the West is still as f'd up as it always is when these votes are tallied. Yao Ming should be made permanently ineligible for All-Star balloting. It would be a travesty if Yao is able to cling to a NBA roster long enough for him to challenge the consecutive games "started" streak that the article mentions Kobe closing in on right now.

The other part of the article that jumped out on me was Stoudamire being the first Knick since Ewing in 1992. I'd have to do some digging around on the net for the starters, but really? I guess it was Shaq taking the starting places after that for the Magic?

KG is a prick

He actually manages to punch Frye in the nuts and step under his ankles in the same play.

The under step is bad. Real bad. I haven't seen KG do that to people in the past, i hope it's not somethign he's in the habit of doing. The forearm flick to the midsection is normal. Usually you just fake jab, you don't actually touch the shooter unless you want to get whistled.

I really hope that Aldridge makes it. It seems that there's a logjam that could see him left out though.

KG - This appears to be a pattern now. My opinion of this guy is not what it used to be.

Kevin Martin is a top 10 scorer in the league (and the most efficient) and probably won't make it.

I would put LMA ahead of Love simply because of the team records.

• 2 weeks later...

There are rumors of a Bynum for Carmelo trade. Wow. I totally understand why LA may want to do it. Bynum is a good young prospect how has already helped contribute to championships, but he's injury prone. If they don't want to double-down on keeping him they may as well try to trade him with his value as high as possible. Denver has their Hobson's Choice with Carmelo, so they pretty much need to find a trade of some kind so they don't walk away with nothing.

It would be crazy to see Carmelo and Kobe together.

Why would Denver want Bynum tho? They already have an injury plagued front line. I'd take on some expiring contracts and go for draft picks if im the Nuggets.

Well, these are only rumors at this point, but Denver has to get something for Carmelo and everyone knows it. It makes bargaining a bit difficult.

They can have Wilson Chandler, Eddie Curry's expiring contract, and a first round pick :P

They can have Wilson Chandler, Eddie Curry's expiring contract, and a first round pick :P

I thought the knicks would be willing to let everybody go except Amare, Felton and Fields. And a 3 for 1 on everybody else.

Why would Denver want Bynum tho? They already have an injury plagued front line. I'd take on some expiring contracts and go for draft picks if im the Nuggets.

I agree with this. Houston could make the same offer with Yao (and should really)

Maybe Portland can offer what's his name, their injuryprone big man. miller and/ or even Roy

Jerry Sloan resigning

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700108714/KSL-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign.html

KSL has learned that Utah Jazz coach Jerry Sloan and assistant coach Phil Johnson will resign at a press conference later Thursday.

Strange considering they are in the playoffs and he just signed an extension.

Jerry Sloan resigning

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700108714/KSL-Utah-Jazz-coach-Jerry-Sloan-to-resign.html

Strange considering they are in the playoffs and he just signed an extension.

The Jazz have been in a bit of a slump recently...maybe it's that? Both Utah and Denver are getting dangerously close to having to worry about their playoff positions as it stands...

ST

Sloan could just be exhausted. He's by far the longest tenured coach in the league.

Then again, there may have been some sort of rift. And how bizzare it happens a day after losing to Boozer's Bulls.

Reports are saying the issue may be between Sloan and Deron Williams

Link

Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com's Marc Stein that Sloan reacted angrily during Wednesday night's home loss when guard Deron Williams called his own play on the floor different from the play Sloan called from the sideline.

That led to an emotional dispute at halftime, sources said, which was followed by Sloan's closed-door meeting with O'Connor after the game.

But one source stressed that the play-calling flap was just one incident among a number of flare-ups in recent weeks, indicating Sloan's relationship with Williams has been deteriorating.

Interestingly, I heard Chris Broussard (for whatever that's worth) on ESPN radio this morning saying that the conflict is that Williams doesn't think Sloan works hard enough. :stunned: Now wouldn't that be a complete 180 from where most coach/player brush ups originate from?

Archived