The Thread for the NBA

add-on

Shit Prokharov is awesome. He missed on Melo and the next day he gets someone better for essentially the same deal.

I was just thinking last night how he and Jay-Z looked pretty bad being unable to land anybody in free agency or through trade. Scratch that. :stunned:

Doesn't help the Nets much this year record-wise but it makes them way more desirable for free agents next season. Even if it is just a 2 year rental of Williams.

Do you say this because you think New York gave up more than they had to?

yes, based on reports that we could have signed him in the off season. The Nets stuck around long enough to make Dolan pull the trigger and then went out and got a top 3 PG, something the Knicks probably needed more than Melo.

That could all very well be true, but I still wouldn't be too bummed if I were a Kicks fan. The Knicks are relevant for the first time in a long time.

Not bummed, but that Russian...he's a tricksy bird.

Report out of Utah says that D-Will is stunned.

Lockedonsports David Locke

by johnhollinger

Raja Bell , Ronnie Price, Fesenko and Deron were in training room this morning and saw the trade roll across the ticker

Wow. D-Will had to learn about being dealt on ESPN. That's messed up. Jazz front office does not look good.

No wonder he is pissed.

Are we sure this is such a great deal for the Nets? Maybe I'm looking through shit-tinted glasses b/c this is a team I support and therefore I expect them to fuck it up, but... 2 1st-rounders (and good first rounders, not no. 1s belonging to a contender; the Nets' pick will be in the lottery), plus Harris, plus Favors? So we now have... Outlaw, Lopez, and Williams; and we can't improve that much via the draft (though I think we might still have somebody's 1st this year)... AND on top of that, D-Will might not sign an extension, so this could be just a year and a half of him. That seems like a lot to give up.

Are we sure this is such a great deal for the Nets? Maybe I'm looking through shit-tinted glasses b/c this is a team I support and therefore I expect them to fuck it up, but... 2 1st-rounders (and good first rounders, not no. 1s belonging to a contender; the Nets' pick will be in the lottery), plus Harris, plus Favors? So we now have... Outlaw, Lopez, and Williams; and we can't improve that much via the draft (though I think we might still have somebody's 1st this year)... AND on top of that, D-Will might not sign an extension, so this could be just a year and a half of him. That seems like a lot to give up.

I suspect this has more to do with the owners' egos than basketball. They had to make a splash after coming up empty again and again.

That being said, if they can convince Williams to stay, it could be a very good deal for them. There was all this talk about Favors + 4 first round picks (plus filler) for Melo. This deal is much better. As a bonus, you don't have to pay Melo $20M starting next year.

What I want to know is what the hell Utah is thinking. I can see why they want to blow it up, but don't you have to think a bit more than 24 hours before making something this drastic? Maybe shop around a little bit? Williams is a great player in his prime, you should be able to name your price for a guy like that. If Favors doesn't pan out (and he gave no indication of panning out so far), this is a horrible, horrible deal.

I originally thought "Wow, Williams must have told them "get me out of here ASAP or I'm going Melo on you next year."" But it appears that Williams had no idea and is actually pissed. No idea why Utah rushed into this deal like it did...

You have Lakers pick this year. Then lottery protected Rockets pick next year.

Nate Silver has a really interesting take on the Anthony trade that he put up yesterday (apologies if already seen). While I enjoy watching basketball I freely admit to being fairly ignorant of a lot about it, so I can't properly judge his arguments, but they do make sense to me. And he tends to think this was not the best move for the Knicks, after going through all the statistical information and assumptions (which talk about how to win teams need either 1) players whose value is greater then their contracts or 2) be really good at exploiting salary cap loopholes and then about how much various players are worth) he concludes:

The Knicks now have two of these players — but not a whole lot else. They have the point guard Chauncey Billups, but he is worth roughly the $14.2 million that he would be due to make next year if the Knicks pick up his option and not more. They do also have the rookie Landry Fields, a second-round draft pick who is owed only $788,872 next year but who is worth many times that; he isn’t the best Knick, but from an economic standpoint, he is probably the most valuable one. Beyond that, however, the roster is now very thin.

If the Knicks pick up the options on Billups and Toney Douglas, and Ronny Turiaf accepts his player option, they would have nine players under contract for next season for a collective $62 million, accounting for the raise that Anthony will receive. And those players would be worth 51 wins according to Mr. Hollinger’s statistic assuming that they matched their performance from this year — an assumption that is arguably optimistic since the Knicks have suddenly gone from being a young club to a middle-aged one and since these players have generally avoided injury this year.

A team winning 51 games would have been the No. 4 seed in the Eastern Conference in each of the past three seasons. By the standard of recent Knicks seasons, that would count as quite a lot of progress — the Knicks would host a playoff series at Madison Square Garden — but they would be underdogs to advance past the second round.

And one thing the Knicks will not have is a whole lot of flexibility to improve their roster further. The $62 million that they will owe to these nine players is close to the $58 million salary cap from this season — and that cap may well decrease if and when the league and its players sign a new collective-bargaining agreement this summer. Nor, other than Fields — who would be hard to improve upon from an efficiency standpoint — do the Knicks have much in the way of either draft picks or appealing young players, since they traded so many away in the deals with Denver and Minnesota.

Also interesting, according to his numbers; LeBron is worth about $47 million a year, so getting him at the veteran max contract is an incredible bargain.

Trade deadline heating up Baron Davis going to Cavs, bye bye Blake, hello prozac.

Hinrich to the Hawks, Bibby done....I mean goes to Wiz

On the trades (if they become official): Baron will pout and moan and rihtly so. He was beginning the get that bounce to his step playing with Blake and Jordan and now he dealt to the worst team in the NBA (not only recordwise but also if you consider the talent level they actually have, they should be better)

Blake will find out that Williams is no pg and IF they make the play off next year or so, Williams will have booked his vacation starting the day after the last regular season game.

On the Hawks. It all depends on the character of Hinrich and if he's able to rub of some of his desire and grit on the heartless hawks. If he can, if he can bring some fire to them, he will have a great time playing for the Hawks. If he fails he will enter a world of pain, Smokey style. You will wonder how he holds his gun; pointed at Josh Smith he chucks up another 3 in a game he feels is lost 3 minutes in (last years play offs and last game against the Lakers) or pointed at his own face when Crawford shoots an off balance 3 with 18 on the shot clock.

Wow, some crazy trade deadline stuff happening. I really don't understand what the Celtics just did. Why trade Perkins? Makes no sense.

Im confused too.

Just read the shit.

If you want to unload a big man, why not one of the O'neals? or both?

Sure they need a back up 3 but for Perk? Have they forgotten the 4th quarter of last years game 7?

On espn they write that the C's are not done. Maybe the Thunder will buy Perk out since he's in his last year? Or maybe they said sit this one out and return to us next year.

Keeps piling up.

There was a big rumor that Portland was going to trade Joel for Gerald Wallace, but I don't think it happened

Well, it happened.

Wallace (bobcats) to Blazers for Joel Przybilla according to yahoo sports

Battier to Grizz (the C's were after him)

Brooks for dragic

edit for update

Marquis to Kings?

appearantly the C's have 3 open roster spots and are hoping to feast on wavers

No way the Thunder buy perk out. He makes that team MUCH better (if he can stay healthy).

I still don't see how this makes sense for the Celtics.

No one does. Danny must think he has balls of iron putting them on the line like that. Celtic fanbase will chew them up like a Goodkind torture victim. He must know something we dont because the tweets say the vets are livid.

Portland made a good move. Sure, losing Pritz hurts but in Wallace they get a perimeter player who can score and create his own shot. He is Batum 2.0 (or Batum is Wallace light). I hope McMillan speeds up their pace too.

OKC made a splash with Perk but he has to pass the physical. I believe he will since he was injured before the deal and OKC knew what they bought, unless Danny boy was talking to them after he visited Daniels, 2 hours after his fall.

Interesting that some teams decided to roll the dice with what they have know even if they know they are flawed. Teams like Detroit, Philly, Milwaukie.

Intersting game tonight with Heat vs Bulls. Bulls won the only other game they played this season but LeBron was out that one.

Bulls might have been caught peeking ahead last night as they lost to the Raptors. That was Noah's first game back, too. He said he was rusty but still nabbed 16 rebounds. I think the team D might be what might need time to gel again with him back. Offensively he's all just hustle plays.

Archived