A Thread for Small Questions V

Lady Blackfish

Dany and Arya would be the obvious candidates, but even Sansa or Margaery at a pinch. :)

It could even be the third Lannister triplet, who Cersei devoured in the womb, who bursts out of her chest alien style. That might explain why some of her clothes aren't fitting in AFFC; she's not pregnant (as some people speculate) -- it's her absorbed sister growing inside of her.

What? It's the kind of thing that she would do.

There's been considerable discussion of that question. For my part, I fall on the side that believes that, yes, Tywin Lannister himself had that passage made so he could secretly visit the brothel (and, who knows, there may be secret ways into other brothels). This would (probably) have been after Joanna's death. But there's no absolutly solid proof. GRRM has been asked point-blank and he basically refuses to give an answer on that point, preferring to leave it up to us to speculate on.

Guest Other-in-Law

Doesn't the first always get offed? Will, Cressen, Chett, and Pate were all killed off. The trend might continue in the next books. I don't know if he's confirmed it or not though.

For aDwD, at least.

Varamyr six-skins gets killed by wights in the aftermath of the battle with Stannis.

Indeed. The northmen predominantly follow the old gods, but there are those who follow the Seven. Besides Rodrik, Jorah, and the Manderlys, theres' characters like Ser Helman Tallhart, the Lord of Torrhen's Square, Ser Mark Ryswell (one of Ned's companions at the tower of joy), Ser Kyle Condon, and more.

You'll see it noted later in Bran's chapter, when he asks about how many knights there are among Robb's host gathering at Winterfell, that there are three-four hundred knights among three thousand horsemen. Which suggests that maybe 10% of the North's population (or, at least, its noble population) follow the Seven, actually.

Yeah, I was aware that some percentage do, I recall the conversation between Bran and Maester Luwin, the reason I was a little thrown off is that Ser Rodrik is at Winterfell, while all the other northern knights seem to be from families that have their own lands, e.g. the Manderly's and Mormont's as you said, so he seems like a bit of an anomaly. Also I don't believe his brother Martyn Cassel was a knight, so again, kind of an anomaly, because if he was from a house that worshipped the Seven they would probably both have taken that path.

quick question and I feel dumb for asking. where is house baratheon seated it? what do we know about them? even on re reads I keep missing these facts.

Storm's End, in the south. Some facts about them would be...the brothers are Robert Stannis and Renly, their father Steffon died in a storm in Shipbreaker bay, they have some old marriage ties to the Targaryen's which was the basis for Robert's claim to the throne, etc etc. Heres some more stuff if you want: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/House_Baratheon

Yeah, I was aware that some percentage do, I recall the conversation between Bran and Maester Luwin, the reason I was a little thrown off is that Ser Rodrik is at Winterfell, while all the other northern knights seem to be from families that have their own lands, e.g. the Manderly's and Mormont's as you said, so he seems like a bit of an anomaly. Also I don't believe his brother Martyn Cassel was a knight, so again, kind of an anomaly, because if he was from a house that worshipped the Seven they would probably both have taken that path.

It seems to be a personal choice, in the North, rather than a family thing. So Roderik chose to follow the Seven, while Martyn and Jory (who surely would have been knighted if he wanted that) stuck to the old gods. The Mormonts are the same - Maege and Dacey are followers of the old gods, IIRC.

It also seems like its a pragmatic thing for some. Jorah doesn't strike me as a particularly faithful worshipper either way. Most likely, he gives lip service to the Seven because he wanted a knighthood. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Northmen do the same thing, except go in the opposite direction and stick with the old gods more out of a sense of tradition than any strong belief.

Makes sense, thanks. Would be interesting to know more about his past, since it says in AGOT that Ned had a sept built in Winterfell when Catelyn came, so I assume there wasn't one before that, thus Rodrik would have had to range further afield to get his knighthood. At that level of detail though I think the question becomes irrelevant, and you probably have the best answer.

Guest Other-in-Law

There's a telling moment early in aGoT:

"Are you training women here?" the burned man wanted to know. He was muscled like a bull.

"I am training knights," Ser Rodrik said pointedly. "They will have steel when they are ready. When they are of an age."

Why should Northmen be trained as knights? I can't help but feel something of a concession in there by Rodrik that unknighted armoured horsemen are viewed as less worthy than knights in southron eyes, as he's defending his own training regimen against southron criticism. So I suspect his own knighthood may have a little to do with validating his qualification to be master at arms for own of the mightiest houses of the realm....making Winterfell seem not quite so much of a backwater.

Plus the Faith and knighthood are present in the north, they're just a minority. It's not like he'd have to go that far to get knighted.

Archived