A Thread for Small Questions V

Lady Blackfish

I'm wondering why then there isn't a Northern word for 'armored noble cavalry guy'? Might be a bit late for him to introduce one (though he's been pushing it with stuff like 'nuncle' 'leal' 'meet' in AFFC).

Guest Other-in-Law

I'm wondering why then there isn't a Northern word for 'armored noble cavalry guy'?

Sandor Clegane is an armored noble cavalry guy, but he's not a knight. It's a specifically religious office, so to me the question is like "why isn't there a Protestant word for Cardinal?"

Not really, because they're both performing the same functions, just one's said vows to a bearded man in a dress with a crystal - plus nobles are all about the titles and ranks. As well, in a military context you need to distinguish between 'armored noble cavalry guy' and the other values of 'cavalry guy' as the former are your elites/command cohort.

Horza,

Luwin says Robb has 3,000 armored lances who are not knights. That would seem to be the phrase to mark out noble, mounted warriors with comparable training to your typical knight.

Makes sense, thanks. Would be interesting to know more about his past, since it says in AGOT that Ned had a sept built in Winterfell when Catelyn came, so I assume there wasn't one before that, thus Rodrik would have had to range further afield to get his knighthood. At that level of detail though I think the question becomes irrelevant, and you probably have the best answer.

I'd always assumed that Ser Rodrik had indeed 'ranged further afield', in the sense of seeing a bit of the world in his youth. He seems experienced, and not just in combat. He might well have been fostered himself in a Southron house, as Ned was: he may have travelled and competed in tourneys, as Jorah did: and he almost certainly fought in Robert's Rebellion and the Greyjoy Rebellion too. He could have switched to Seven worship and earned his knighthood at any of these times.

Yeah. Ray-garr would be how I say it, and I'm pretty sure that's how George says it. But he also notes people are free to pronounce things however they like -- there's a reason there's no pronunciation guide in the books. :)

I'd always assumed that Ser Rodrik had indeed 'ranged further afield', in the sense of seeing a bit of the world in his youth. He seems experienced, and not just in combat. He might well have been fostered himself in a Southron house, as Ned was: he may have travelled and competed in tourneys, as Jorah did: and he almost certainly fought in Robert's Rebellion and the Greyjoy Rebellion too. He could have switched to Seven worship and earned his knighthood at any of these times.

Given his age, there's even a good chance he saw some action in the War of Ninepenny Kings. It seems like that was a war where a lot of the old guard earned their spurs.

where do you find this novellas like the Seven pointed star and Dunk and Egg and the Mystery knight? do you find them online or at store or what?

Dunk and Egg have appeared in three novellas thus far, called The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight. You can find more information about how to read them here. I believe The Hedge Knight is also in graphic novel form.

As for The Seven Pointed Star...I believe that one needs to be ordered from amazon.westeros or checked out from the High Sept Library - I think the distribution rights are exclusive to fantasy land. :)

Are there any known "official" pronunciations for these two words?

valar morghulis

valar dohaeris

There aren't "official" pronunciations for any of the words. I pronounce them vall-are more-gull-iss and vall-are doe-hair-iss, but who knows if that's right or not?

There aren't "official" pronunciations for any of the words. I pronounce them vall-are more-gull-iss and vall-are doe-hair-iss, but who knows if that's right or not?

Thank you Arbor. Instead of "official", I should have asked "known from sources of validity," i.e. George in any of his readings, series personnel, etc. I know George is not a stickler for pronunciations and has said so many times, but not sure if anyone has heard him speak those phrases before.

Guest Other-in-Law

There was a suggestion that Craster offers his sons up to the Others; I don't know what happens to them.

You do too; fess up.

When Sam treacherously slew an Other with dragonglass it literally melted into a cold puddle. When he (and Jon earlier) burned a wight with ordinary fire, it simply burned. They seem to be made of different matter.

This does make me consider something. While we don't know the precise ages of either order, the Pyromancers are said to be older than the Maesters. Perhaps they actually date all the way back to the original Long Night, and their wildfire was a weapon used against the Others and wights? There was a hint that the Citadel supplanted them, suggesting that at one time they may have been kept on retainer by various lords just as the maesters are now. If they really were a factor in the fight against the Others, it would sure as hell make sense for powerful lords to keep one handy back in the era when the Battle for the Dawn was still a vivid memory.

Concerning wights: when the two wights who rose at Castle Black in AGOT were found, it was mentioned they had clearly died long before...were they laying still on purpose, and rose later? Are wights only animated during the nighttime? I figure one of these two options must apply otherwise it would be oddly convenient that they reanimated the night they were brought back but had just been laying in the forest beforehand. Thoughts?

Archived