A Thread for Small Questions V

Lady Blackfish

FRANKENGREGOR!!! or it could be Ned Stark, alive and well...

As to my question above, IMHO Jaime's chances of being the Valonquar has more to do with the fact that Cersei's POV has never considered that possibility. I don't think the non forum readers will give it much thought, as so there is no cause for GRRM to have to " out think" the reader. it will still be a suprise. I know I didn't question the identity at all outside of Tyrion at first till I really sat down and looked at her chapters in feast and saw a slight off topic mention of it in an unrelated thread.

FRANKENGREGOR!!! or it could be Ned Stark, alive and well...

Frankengregor wouldn't be in the black cells at that point; Qyburn didn't move him down there until after Tywin had been murdered. So by process of elimination, it can only be Ned Stark, who presumably is spending his time murdering Lannister guards one by one like a ninja.

I stand corrected on frakengregor..thanks PDC. ALTHOUGH, i can't wait to see him in action, hopefully in ADWD. As for headless Ned, not dead.... I hope he stays dead. although if Syrio is alive :rollseyes then I guess anyone could be.

I wonder what it was Varys was refering to...

now a question....will Rodrick the reader do anything big? I have a feeling that he, sam, and tyrion might find somethig in a book, independantly from one another.

Mormont:

I thought Sam mentioned four previous Lord Commanders who were younger than Jon when they assumed office, all of whom were Starks. So depending on who you meant by the other Lord Stark, that's either five or six depending.

You're correct - I'd missed that. Osric Stark is one of them, and that was the Stark I'd had in mind. So that makes five including Jon. In addition, there's Mormont, Bloodraven, Qorgyle, Caswell, Flint, Hill, Hightower, Mudd, Rankenfell, Harren the Black's brother, and the Night's King whose family name we don't know, IIRC. There may be more I've missed. But the point is, we know that the Starks often join the Watch, and often rise high at a young age because of their family name: but they don't seem to make up the majority of Lords Commander.

I have to point that if the Watch is supposed to have had 998 Lord Commanders in 6000 years, that makes roughly one LC every six years. I don't believe the main branch of the Stark can whelp one superfluous male every six years on average. I don't even believe they could every twelve years.

I just finished reading through the books for the first time a couple of days ago, and came straight here to start discussing. :D

Unfortunately, some of the things that the more experienced ASoIaF readers seem to accept as fact are new to me. Most notably that Sandor is still alive. Yet, I haven't seen anyone explain how that is. It seemed to me that the Elder Brother was quite certain that the Hound was dead. What exactly did I miss?

I think the idea is that it's a metaphor. Like, "The Hound" was a symbol of Sandor's violent nature (the one that was passed onto that other asshole when he took his helm). When the Elder Brother said "The Hound" is dead, he was basically saying that man is dead; that part of Sandor is gone forever.

(By the way, please don't actually click on that link).

I think the idea is that it's a metaphor. Like, "The Hound" was a symbol of Sandor's violent nature (the one that was passed onto that other asshole when he took his helm). When the Elder Brother said "The Hound" is dead, he was basically saying that man is dead; that part of Sandor is gone forever.

(By the way, please don't actually click on that link).

I assumed that must have been it. The part that gave me pause was where he quite literally said that he covered him with stones "to keep the carrion eaters from digging up his flesh."

Thanks for the quick response!

Also, I was going to heed your warning and not click the link, but then I saw it was tvtropes and I love tvtropes. :D

The Elder Brother says thatthe Hound is dead. Then he says that Sandor at rest, which is quite different. Also, talking about himself in the same chapter, he says:

All in all, I was a sad man. When I was not fighting, I was drunk. My life was writ in red, in blood and wine.”

“When did it change?” asked Brienne.

“When I died in the Battle of the Trident.

Plus the fact that Stranger (Sandor's horse) is in the stables, and we know that this horse can't be controlled by anyone but him. Plus the fact that in the community there's a limping gravedigger whose face we don't see (Sandor's leg was wounded).

Also, I was going to heed your warning and not click the link, but then I saw it was tvtropes and I love tvtropes. :D

I'd like to have a brief moment of silence for new poster Ryan_ He has a bright and promising future here and we hold out hope that he will be able to return to us soon.

Well, thousands actually died. Do you mean just those within the hall with Robb? I think there are 9 people specifically noted as killed, plus a nameless Vance and half-a-dozen others or so, and of course Cat and Robb. There were probably some others besides that that are killed, but I wouldn't suppose it was more than two dozen people in total in the hall itself.

I was just asked because Tywin claimed that it was right thing to do (Was mercy kill thousands in battle or dozen on feast). Of course, he could just deceive her son, but I still have impresion that he really think that it's just two dozen dead people.

Maybe if you didn't count the non-nobility, it was only a dozen dead people. That scene was kind of a mess though, as far as people dying and you only get to hear about a lot of it afterward from eyewitnesses.

I was just asked because Tywin claimed that it was right thing to do (Was mercy kill thousands in battle or dozen on feast). Of course, he could just deceive her son, but I still have impresion that he really think that it's just two dozen dead people.

I don't think that's true. I think Tywin is lying to Tyrion about his motivations, and that Robb's assassination was ordered in part because Robb had humiliated the Lannisters by outwitting Tywin and capturing Jaime at the end of A Game of Thrones. (Similarly, I don't believe that Tywin really forgot to give any order w/r/t Elia during the sack of King's Landing.)

Archived