The Rhaegar + Lyanna = Jon thread, Part IX

Lady Blackfish

5. The fact that Jon has a Direwolf pet/companion is not even remotely proof that he will not become a Dragon Rider. Your argument is 'Well he has one animal companion. We all know its not possible he ever has another.' You do realise that Ghost spends most of his time while outdoors ranging far away from everyone else? He doesn't keep pace by Jon's side like they've been accidentally glued together.

I don't think it's the fact that he already has 1 pet animal - I think it's more that Ghost is a major part of who Jon is. Jon is also a warg, so Ghost is actually more than just a "pet". So it doesn't seem likely that his character would take such an abrupt turn, and he will go off being one of the 3 heads of the dragon, while Ghost is happily hunting out in the woods by himself.

Not to say it isn't possible, but I just don't see that happening.

I don't think it's the fact that he already has 1 pet animal - I think it's more that Ghost is a major part of who Jon is. Jon is also a warg, so Ghost is actually more than just a "pet". So it doesn't seem likely that his character would take such an abrupt turn, and he will go off being one of the 3 heads of the dragon, while Ghost is happily hunting out in the woods by himself.

Not to say it isn't possible, but I just don't see that happening.

That's not the point I'm trying to make though. The series isn't a video game or tabletop RPG, its not like there's a 'One Animal Companion limit'. I've stated in the 'Riders of the Three Dragons' thread that I think there would be some problems with Jon being one of Riders myself, but its still possible. There is also nothing to say that Ghost himself will even live to the end of the series, much as I hope he does.

More importantly though, Xanrn believes Targaryen blood = Dragon rider, and since Jon is obviously so Stark-ish, he won't turn out to be a Targaryen. That is absurd.

That's not the point I'm trying to make though. The series isn't a video game or tabletop RPG, its not like there's a 'One Animal Companion limit'. I've stated in the 'Riders of the Three Dragons' thread that I think there would be some problems with Jon being one of Riders myself, but its still possible. There is also nothing to say that Ghost himself will even live to the end of the series, much as I hope he does.

More importantly though, Xanrn believes Targaryen blood = Dragon rider, and since Jon is obviously so Stark-ish, he won't turn out to be a Targaryen. That is absurd.

All reasoning aside, I think it would be pretty cool if Jon turned out to be half Targaryen...but mostly because the idea of Rhaegar+Lyanna=Jon fascinates me. But then, I'm also just really hungry to know more about Rhaegar and Lyanna period.

Guest Other-in-Law

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet - GRRM has said that Princess Rhaenys looked more Martell (Elia) than Targ (Rhaegar).

It is thus entirely plausible that Jon is a product of R+L, even though he has Stark features.

Yes, it absolutely does seem as though the Targaryen appearance gene is recessive, and yes it has been pointed out before. Honestly those that suggest otherwise are flying in the face of the bulk of evidence....there is no basis whatsoever on which to assert that Targ genes are dominant. We also have the example of Prince Baelor Breakspear who lacked any Targaryen features, so that Dunk had no idea who he was. And black-haired Bittersteel (though he did have purple eyes).

The interesting thing is the role of House Dayne in this, who have suspiciously similar appearances to the Targaryens, but about whom GRRM has disparaged a Valyrian connection (pointing out that Elizabeth Taylor had no Valyrian blood). Eddard Stark was loath to besmirch Ashara Dayne's honour with rumours of bastard brooding, and seems to have told Robert that the Dayne wetnurse Wylla was Jon's mother. But the Ashara rumours still exist, no doubt in part due to Ned's own infatuation with the Lady Ashara, but perhaps also as a hedge against questions about why Jon might have had silvery hair and purple eyes if he had turned out that way (as Baby Aegon did, despite a non Targaryen mother).

Guest Other-in-Law

Have we figured out how long Ned was in Dorne before returning to the North?

I definitely haven't, though GRRM has pointed out that Ashara wasn't "nailed to the floor" in Starfall. Presumably this potentially useful excuse would be within fudgeable limits for the casual interrogator.

But the Ashara rumours still exist, no doubt in part due to Ned's own infatuation with the Lady Ashara, but perhaps also as a hedge against questions about why Jon might have had silvery hair and purple eyes if he had turned out that way (as Baby Aegon did, despite a non Targaryen mother).

This would make Ned a plotter ;)

Cool. I like it.. it's fascinating

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet - GRRM has said that Princess Rhaenys looked more Martell (Elia) than Targ (Rhaegar).

It is thus entirely plausible that Jon is a product of R+L, even though he has Stark features.

This seems pretty important to me.

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, I've read the previous threads but don't recall it being mentioned.

As we know Jon Arryn acted as foster-father to Robert and Eddard, I'd assume Ned named Jon after Jon Arryn, possibly out of respect for the man, which would make sense in-universe. However, does anyone else feel that this might be a subtle hint on GRRM's part that Ned was actually fostering his sister's child?

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, I've read the previous threads but don't recall it being mentioned.

As we know Jon Arryn acted as foster-father to Robert and Eddard, I'd assume Ned named Jon after Jon Arryn, possibly out of respect for the man, which would make sense in-universe. However, does anyone else feel that this might be a subtle hint on GRRM's part that Ned was actually fostering his sister's child?

I rather like your theory, it is very subtle, but that is exactly George R R Martin's style, so this is quite possible a little hint for this theory...

Could you explain why the name Jon would be a hint?

I may have missed discussion on this as this is one MASSIVE thread (well, actually a series of massive ones!). Anyhow, to me the greatest clue about Jon's parentage is his wolf Ghost. It's color is not because Jon is a bastard but rather because he has Targaryen blood in him.

Archived