"The Name of the Wind"

me399

Alright, I've read the first twelve chapters of the book (up to page 98 in my mass market paperback). I can say that The Name of the Wind, at the very least, has managed to hook me. I want to keep reading, on and on and on. It's a bit like Ice and Fire in that I keep thinking "just one more chapter before I go to bed."

I'll withhold judgment until I've read the whole thing, but the first bit of the book is definitely very interesting. It seems to be not as quite complex or grand in scope as Ice and Fire, but I do like getting into the psyche of Kvothe in an intimate fashion and it's clear that Rothfuss has carefully crafted his world (though it wants for expansion). I'm really curious as to what the University is going to be like.

First impression is definitely good, although I do hope that the level of complexity will increase from here on out (both for the world the story takes place in as well as the plot(s)).

Perhaps the "best" thing about the book is that it does hook you into reading it--it has a very relaxed, very buttery-smooth prose that makes the pages just fly by. It's after the task is done and reflection comes that the not-so-good aspects stand out, and stand out pretty prominantly, perhaps because of the prose-spell. The generic European #5067832 model for the world, about a quarter-inch deep and superficial even in the smattering of details. The lack of tension, the bait-and-switch of the antagonists for some dragon-romp ending in a rushed "climax." Denna. Most of the female characters, actually; heck, most of the characters of the entire novel, which seem to fit "slots" for Kvothe to interact with or be balked.

If WMF is the same, this will be a library checkout, just like the first one was.

I am now on chapter 69 and I still love this book. Now I find myself trying to stretch out the time it is taking me to read the book because I am not looking forward to waiting for the next volume. Ugh!!

I am now on chapter 69 and I still love this book. Now I find myself trying to stretch out the time it is taking me to read the book because I am not looking forward to waiting for the next volume. Ugh!!

It's only two and a half months away now, you lightweight. Imagine if you'd read it on release...

It's only two and a half months away now, you lightweight. Imagine if you'd read it on release...

I agree. :)

Its nothing like the wait I have had to endure for A.S.o.I.a.F. So I guess it could be much, much worse.

It wasn't an outstanding book, sort of. It had a ton of faults. Its strength was in being incredibly enjoyable despite said faults, and in making you not even realise said faults while reading (mostly... bloody dracci).

It wasn't an outstanding book, sort of. It had a ton of faults. Its strength was in being incredibly enjoyable despite said faults, and in making you not even realise said faults while reading (mostly... bloody dracci).

Yes, to me, it was an outstanding book. I would not have asked for anything different. I hope the next book is just as good, with all the faults that you are talking about. I guess one persons complaints (faults) equal another persons enjoyment. I have not had so much fun with a book since reading ASOIAF. I loved every minute of this book and I can not wait until march first.

Master Lorren asked Kvothe about his father on the first day, but they were interrupted. I always wondered whether that would be followed up.

I've just reread the book in preperation for the next one coming out and I agree with me399, it's great fun and so easy to read.

I'm reading this for the first time at Dub's insistance. He gobbled it up in maybe 3 days. It's taking me longer, but I value sleep over staying up and reading. :P

I really like it thus far. I'm about 215 pages in, and I'm hooked.

My goal when reading is to have a good time and enjoy a book, not really one for really deeply analyzing them. I think TNOTW was the most enjoyable book for me in a long time despite the fact I wasn't crazy about the draccus thing. Can't wait for the sequel!

My goal when reading is to have a good time and enjoy a book, not really one for really deeply analyzing them. I think TNOTW was the most enjoyable book for me in a long time despite the fact I wasn't crazy about the draccus thing. Can't wait for the sequel!

I think the draccus thing was put in to give readers a big event to close out the book. I could have done with less of the draccus and more of the university, either way I still loved the book.

Only 35 more days to wait for book 2.

Archived