A Thread for Small Questions VI

Lady Blackfish

Who put Mormont's crow into the pot?

There is a theory about Mormont being a warg. I think it could work, that bird is really too clever. This would mean that a part of mormont is still living in the crow, which explain why he went flying to Jon.

There are also people thinking the crow is Bloodraven... one thing is sure: there is something weird with that bird.

(Either this or Sam put it into the pot.. but i don't think this is Sam-like. I like the warg-mormont better)

Depends on wether you're asking for R'hllorian (spellcheck?) ressurection or Otherly one.

It seems to matter for the red priests, as I seem to recall Thoros saying to Arya that he couldn't bring back her father in ASOS. At this point Ned was more or less a skeleton, so this would mean that the death shouldn't occur too long ago for the magic to work. The way I imagine it, the R'hllorian ressirection keeps the soul in the dead body in a state of semi-animation, but it needs a functional enough body.

I was looking it up and I geuss it would depend on the person who's doing the ressurection. On the ASOIF wiki it said that Thoras refused to ressurect Catelyn because she had been dead for a few days. but obviously Beric was able to do it. I think that all you would need is a decent enough remains in order for the body to function. like Ned wouldn't be able to be ressurected because he's missing a head and is a skeleton.

I feel relatively convinced that there were no murder instincts or vague memories. IMO, the wights are being entirely animated by the Others using some sort of unholy alien technology that allows the Others to animate and control their bodies and has a key characteristic of glowing blue eyes. :)

That's an interesting idea. I always imagined that the wights were controlled by the Faceless Other, or whatever the name is of that god. Nameless one?

It is interesting to note in the context that the wights seem to "sleep" during certain times (daytime?), and they also were animated again in Castle Black, presumably on the other side of the wall, compared to the Others. This to me says two things: The others similarly do not come out during daytime, and it has been hinted at somewhere that the wall is a barrier to magic.

So, are the Others animated by the same force as the wights, or are the Others controlling the wights, is the question. It may simply be that their bodies are animated, but no one controls them. Also, regarding the wall as a barrier, if it is, the wights operate independently. If they do not, then the wall is not a barrier.

To sleep; perchance to dream - ay, there's the rub. For in that sleep of death what dreams may come when we have shuffled off this mortal coil

I feel relatively convinced that there were no murder instincts or vague memories. IMO, the wights are being entirely animated by the Others using some sort of unholy alien technology that allows the Others to animate and control their bodies and has a key characteristic of glowing blue eyes. :)

And I feel absolutely convinced that there are at least vague memories. Proof? If that Wight in AGOT had absolutely no memory whatsoever of its life as a human, how did it knew where to find Mormont and try and kill him? Because I'm positive that this was assassination attempt, there is no chance in hell that a mindless zombie in a castle full of empty rooms and towers and cells would stumble accidentaly in the one where the leader of the NW sleeps oblivious.

And I feel absolutely convinced that there are at least vague memories. Proof? If that Wight in AGOT had absolutely no memory whatsoever of its life as a human, how did it knew where to find Mormont and try and kill him? Because I'm positive that this was assassination attempt, there is no chance in hell that a mindless zombie in a castle full of empty rooms and towers and cells would stumble accidentaly in the one where the leader of the NW sleeps oblivious.

The Others are spying on the black brothers using other bits of alien technology that have not yet been revealed to us, in addition to their agents (a la Craster) who have infiltrated the Night's Watch! :P

And I don't think they are mindless zombies but remote-controlled robots! And the Others are holding the remote.

I dont know if this is where I can ask for this, or even if I should, but I suppose I'll try.

Does anyone have the exact text from the first Davos chapter where Stannis is talking about his pet falcon and Robert's? It's the end of the chapter. I think it's a beautiful story. I don't have a copy of Clash on me, and my e-book version is riddled with strange words and errors. Please and thank you.

Typing up all these quotes is really grinding my fingers to the bone. I might have to look into buying one of those ebooks...

Here's your stupid bird story. May you choke on it:

“When I was a lad I found an injured goshawk and nursed her back to health. Proudwing, I named her. She would perch on my shoulder and flutter from room to room after me and take food from my hand, but she would not soar. Time and again I would take her hawking, but she never flew higher than the treetops. Robert called her Weak wing. He owned a gyrfalcon named Thunderclap who never missed her strike. One day our great-uncle Ser Harbert told me to try a different bird. I was making a fool of myself with Proudwing, he said, and he was right.” Stannis Baratheon turned away from the window, and the ghosts who moved upon the southern sea. “The Seven have never brought me so much as a sparrow. It is time I tried another hawk, Davos. A red hawk.”

I think it's a beautiful story.

It's a sad story, I think. Young Stannis caring about a wounded bird, with the youthly ideals of love and faithfulness clashing with the harsh ideals of pride, and ending with him forsaking the pet he loves for one that performs. It gives me a picture of a bleak and hollow life, of loneliness of heart and soul. Beautiful, but sad.

It's a sad story, I think. Young Stannis caring about a wounded bird, with the youthly ideals of love and faithfulness clashing with the harsh ideals of pride, and ending with him forsaking the pet he loves for one that performs. It gives me a picture of a bleak and hollow life, of loneliness of heart and soul. Beautiful, but sad.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Theres a brief mention of a Tristan Mudd who was a king long ago, when Robb and party are headed to the red wedding. (Grey Wind hops up on a monument/burial marker) My question is does anyone know which of the 7 kingdoms the Mudds ruled, and whether or not they were one of the kings defeated by the targaryens.

Theres a brief mention of a Tristan Mudd who was a king long ago, when Robb and party are headed to the red wedding. (Grey Wind hops up on a monument/burial marker) My question is does anyone know which of the 7 kingdoms the Mudds ruled, and whether or not they were one of the kings defeated by the targaryens.

The Mudds ruled over the riverlands (or a part of them) long ago, and their house was extinct long before Aegon showed up. They lived in a period when there more than seven kingdoms in Westeros.

The Mudds ruled over the riverlands (or a part of them) long ago, and their house was extinct long before Aegon showed up. They lived in a period when there more than seven kingdoms in Westeros.

Which means time frame wise theres really no way Robb should have been able to read that gravestone/monument? At least thats what i'm thinking.

Archived