A Thread for Small Questions VI

Lady Blackfish

so, isn't a possibility of getting the 5years gap sooner or later (after ADWD maybe, or TWOW)? Did martin say something about?

GRRM's been pretty explicit that the idea is dead. Placing the gap at the end of ADWD would create a lot of the same problems that came up when he tried to put it after ASOS.

I'm not sure, but I think GRRM said that the break will come after the "Winds of Winter", which is the book after aDwD, and before the "Promise of Spring" which should be the last book. I also seem to remmember he said it will be less then five years, but more then two. I think I read that on his liveblog...

I'm not sure, but I think GRRM said that the break will come after the "Winds of Winter", which is the book after aDwD, and before the "Promise of Spring" which should be the last book. I also seem to remmember he said it will be less then five years, but more then two. I think I read that on his liveblog...

I've never seen anything like that, and I'd like to see a source. That's very much at odds with the way that he knocks the idea in interviews after AFFC came out, so I wouldn't give that any credence unless you can link to the relevant post on his blog.

A Sarsfield, given his cloak, but we never get a name. Back in ACoK, it's said Gregor had a squire named Joss Stilwood at the Hand's tourney, but he seems to have moved on or died in the time between [ETA: between the time of ACoK where it sounds like Stilwood's still around, and late ASoS, when we see the squire Sarsfield), or possibly Gregor has two squires (though I don't really see why he would).

Isn't it more than likely Gregor would have separated said squires head from his shoulders on the slightest of whims at any time between events, perhaps even in a blood rage after the tourney.

Hey all new here. Couldn't find an "introduce yourself" thread so I'll just pop this G'day here. Sorry bout the unoriginal handle but all the good ones were taken and I had a mental blank trying to come up with something clever.

Hey all new here. Couldn't find an "introduce yourself" thread so I'll just pop this G'day here. Sorry bout the unoriginal handle but all the good ones were taken and I had a mental blank trying to come up with something clever.

Welcome Winterfell Wolf. Your name reminds me of my name - :P

Dont apologise about your name, I never have and mine is as cheesy as they come!

Isn't it more than likely Gregor would have separated said squires head from his shoulders on the slightest of whims at any time between events, perhaps even in a blood rage after the tourney.

Probably not, since Joss Stilwood was present when Gregor took his frustration of the tourney on that inkeeper's family and took a part in it.

Anyway, it seems unlikely to me that Gregor would execute a nobleborn boy on a whim just because he felt like it. He's not that ax-crazy.

Hello! Great to be here. Absolutely loving this series so far.

Bout a quarter of the way through Storm Of Swords 1 - so being very careful as to what I see posted , but one thing bugging me is why Arya didn't originally reveal herself to Roose, I'm sure it was explained quite briefly but I can't remember her reason.

Hello! Great to be here. Absolutely loving this series so far.

Bout a quarter of the way through Storm Of Swords 1 - so being very careful as to what I see posted , but one thing bugging me is why Arya didn't originally reveal herself to Roose, I'm sure it was explained quite briefly but I can't remember her reason.

I don't have the quote in front of me, but I believe that it had to do with her not knowing Roose Bolton, or whether he could be trusted.

I am rereading the books and found interesting conversation:

Yoren to Arya (in Arya 1 COK):

I was set to leave, wagons bought and loaded, and a man comes with a boy for me, and a purse of coin, and a message, nevermind who its from. Lord Eddard to take the black, he says to me...

The man is most probably someone who serves the Queen or someone who serves Varys (maybe Varys himself). But who is the boy? It looks like this boy was meant to be a spy who checks if Eddard is really taken to the Wall. However, it is fairly likely that this boy is still with Yoren, even if Eddard did not join them. Are there any theories who is the spy in the Yoren group?

Yes, there's no spy (westeros doesn't have cell phones, anyway), it was Varys giving Gendry to Yoren for his protection, and making Yoren wait so he also takes Eddard, who he had just convinced to lie and take the black. It's not Tyrion as Tyrion is somewhere near the green fork by then, and it's not LF as that guy has zero interest in having Eddard take the black, and isn't involved with Gendry.

AtoningUniflex,

The Liddles are one of the mountain clans of the North, and so I think their numbers are probably not great, especially as some of them do seem to have sent some men south anyways (Owen Norrey of the Norrey clan was among those killed at the Red Wedding). A few hundred men each, no more than 1,000 I'd suppose.

Archived