Aghrivaine in the UK!

Aghrivaine,

If you opt to buy a cheap and cheerful Cell Phone over here for use just while over here, operators over here are still going to have a field day & will charge you a fortune on charges. I would check with you current operator & see how much international roaming charge will be with them, as opposed to the same charges on a cheap pay-as-you-go phone bought over here. You may work out losing just an arm to your current operator, as opposed to the arm and leg you are likely to incur with a phone bought here.

To answer the main part of your question - any phone bought in Ireland will work in Scotland & England (and vice-versa), but you will again get hit for those nasty roaming charges even between Ireland and Scotland/England.

If you're looking for something to just use internally in Ireland / Scotland / England - then buying a cheap phone for use over here may work out slightly cheaper. But I suspect your main concern in staying in touch with the States whilst in Ireland / Scotland / England (... and don't forget Wales - it's lovely too !!) ... in which case you're going to get hit for charges. Again, check - but I suspect those charges may be less with your current provider than with a cheap option from the airport.

Just my uninformed 2 cents worth ..... happy for someone to correct me, if necessary :)

There is a place in Dublin Airport where you can pick up a sim card. I don't think they sell/rent phones anymore though. I'll have a look on Tuesday to be sure (Monday is a holiday here).

And GoL is right that a phone in Ireland wouldn't work out as cheap in N Ireland or the rest of the UK. So switching phones again would be awkward (although an Irish phone/sim would have cheaper rates than a US phone in the UK).

If people are ringing you from the US then it will be fine but if you are ringing the US then it wouldn't be very cheap. Although I suspect the charges would be cheaper using an Irish phone to ring the US than using a US phone to ring the US from Ireland.

I'll check in the shop though. They don't seem to have a website. Can pick up a brochure.

Thanks all, for your help. It looks like I might bring my current smart phone for "wi-fi" only use as a skype client for contact back with the U.S. - and then find some cheapo way to get around in Ireland and the UK. You know, for calls to hotels and taxis to pick my drunken septic ass up, and stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I met both of them today. It was great to catch up after all these years and meet the woman who keeps him under control (sort of kind of). 5 years since we last met and even then LA was too mental to actually remember anything from it. I know I remember 2001 better. :)

I do feel bad that they hit Dublin on the day the British Queen visited Ireland for the first time. (Last time a ruling monarch visited was 1911, so it was an incredibly big deal for all sorts of reasons). Everything was shut. But hopefully the rest of the country will treat them a lot better. :)

He wouldn't be around for the meet in Belfast on the 27th, as he will have left Ireland by then. I never thought to ask about when he actually is in Belfast.

Are we still on for a London meet up on Tuesday 31 May?

Aghrivaine - you should put city and date info in the topic subname so that people know where and when (to evacuate or turn up if they dare)

Yeah, those of us with little on need something to plan ahead for :)

Greetings brethren! I am in Belfast today, Saturday the 21st. I have a phone that works on wi-fi only, so basically i can call out sporadically. i'm staying at the Park Inn at room 522 though, so messages left there will get to me. we have no plans for the evening, and would love to meet up with the Belfast brothers, if its not too late.

Otherwise, we'll definitely be in London on the 31st - I'd love to meet you Londoners then, if you're still interested. I'll update this as I can with specifics on where we're staying, though if you PM me your contact info, that helps.

I can usually steal wi-fi and get email though, so by all means, drop me a line at davy dot krieger at gmail dot com.

Assuming 31st is still on, how about the Shakespeare's Head just outside Holborn tube station?

That sounds like it's very convenient, and we'll be there. What's a good time? I know it's a week night, so probably most of you won't want to engage in Lodengarl-esque bouts of heroic drinking.

We're just arrived in Glasgow - Belfast was great, we did get to see some of the sights and had a fascinating cabbie-tour from a driver with excellent gift of telling a story. We've toured the Scottish lowlands, stayed in Culzean Castle (definitely a hilight!) and are now checked into the Novotel in Glasgow. Tomorrow we're off to Edinburgh, and the day after we (hopefully, barring volcanic interruption) fly to London.

Now we're off to scrounge up some food in Glasgow, and see the sights. My head is still a little tender after being plyed with Culzean's special castle-whiskey by a garrulous steward called Billy.

Assuming 31st is still on, how about the Shakespeare's Head just outside Holborn tube station?

That's fine for me as it's over the road from where i work. It's got a ton of scaffolding surrounding it at the moment but it's still open and fairly spacious inside.

Right so let's put up a list of all those who will be at the London meet up on Tuesday.

Aghrivaine

theMountainGoat

redsnow

Eloisa

MCGeek

Anyone else about?

We're unlikely to have an MCGeek, as he's at a rehearsal for a play he's performing in the following Sunday. :(

eta; I was wrong, rehearsal isn't that day so he will be there with me.

We're unlikely to have an MCGeek, as he's at a rehearsal for a play he's performing in the following Sunday. :(

eta; I was wrong, rehearsal isn't that day so he will be there with me.

The owners of Holborn wetherspoons will have just let out a huge sigh of relief!

Archived