New Board Skin: Try it out!

Linda

Here’s another small issue. Again, I can’t say if this has to do with skinning, so I may be wasting everybody’s time.

When a mouseover event is detected over a thread topic title in forum view, a small “topic preview” icon appears.

(The idea is that this icon gives access to a popup that allow us to see part of the first post, instead of switching to the thread/topic view.)

Whenever this icon appears, the topic title and, more importantly, the page shortcuts are re-aligned, typically replacing the original position of the hyperlinks. The effect is that when the reader moves towards the “last page” link (typically with a right-pointing arrow), just pixels before the click, the target moves away, in some extreme instances to the next line.

Can this be turned off? Either per-skin or per-board? (For example, by making the topic preview icon empty.) I don’t know how many people ever use a thread preview. But everybody is affected by the “click me! oops! missed it! I’m here now!” game.

Oh, that thing. We noticed it ourselves. We somehow broke it, we suspect, on the previous skin and so never realized that feature was there until we made this new one. We're not strictly sure how it works or how to turn it off, but we'll get that on our list of things to look into. Although I suppose some people might find it useful...

We have implemented the change to the new skin as the default, and we have forced everyone using the legacy skin to that. HOWEVER, the legacy skin can still be selected from the drop down at the bottom of the page. Please use that rather than yelling at us.

Note, on the other hand, that we will phase out the legacy skin in the next month or two. It's only being kept around to help people transition, and to allow those who'd like to mod the skin ala LMG's white version of the forum some time to get that done with the new skin.

The board looks very strange with a mixture of my old Stark skin and the new layout/skin :o

I will sort out some new versions of the modified skins and link them here when they're ready.

Anybody have any specific requests for the new Stark and Targaryen skins? Would people prefer the header graphics be removed completely or change the backgrounds to match the skin colours, or left as they are even though they won't quite blend?

ETA: Actually with the parchment background removed the Citadel Tower blends nicely with both the Stark and Targ skin colours :thumbsup:

The legacy skin now has a white background, which makes the add reply and start new topic buttons unreadable.

As for the new skin, I also like my browser window relatively narrow, so I agree with Happy Ent about the screen real-estate usage, but at least the right sidebar is gone now, which is good.

The board looks very strange with a mixture of my old Stark skin and the new layout/skin :o

I will sort out some new versions of the modified skins and link them here when they're ready.

Anybody have any specific requests for the new Stark and Targaryen skins? Would people prefer the header graphics be removed completely or change the backgrounds to match the skin colours, or left as they are even though they won't quite blend?

ETA: Actually with the parchment background removed the Citadel Tower blends nicely with both the Stark and Targ skin colours :thumbsup:

Ok, here's one that I'm not sure you can do anything about, but I noticed (well, just figured out that it was the skin and not my browser) that when the Stark skin is turned on, if you want to use the pull-down font color menu, all the boxes show up as white rather than the colors they actually are. There's probably no way around this and it's a minor complaint, especially now that I figured out I can just disable the skin if I want to make something in another font color. :dunno:

That is really peculiar... Sounds like one of the overrides on the Stark mod is overriding too much?

Oh, yeah, sorry-- that was meant to be to MountainGoat, not you Linda. Should have been more specific.

Font color selector looks fine for me.

Not sure what you've got going on there Kat :dunno:

Ugh, Chrome'd again, I've discovered.

Half the pages I visit work better in Chrome. The other half work better in Firefox. The world is annoying.

Stark skin v2.0

Targ skin coming up later.

Feel free to give comments and suggestions for improvements.

Looks pretty good. Any way to make the title ("A song of ice and fire & Game of Thrones") appear in black, or is that an image rather than text?

Bizarrely, the updated style sheet makes the color palette function again with Chrome. :dunno: Maybe it was just some weird thing with version 1.2, or the old skin's interaction with Chrome.

ETA: Oh, one thing- the table width is off in the My Messenger area when you view your PMs. Needs to be narrower.

Bah, actually, it's not too wide, it's just centered instead of aligned left, or something. I suggest looking at it yourself because I'm shit at describing things. Thanks for the new skin, though!

Regarding new functionality -- is there a way to turn off thread preview? Or warn people that spoiler code DOES NOT work with this functionality and anyone who doesn't wish to be spoiled should avoid it like the plague?

I'm trying to edit a new thread so it is fit for publishing in the GoT subforum, and I see that if one hits "thread preview," one gets a gigantic spoiler no matter how I try to hide it (move it down the page, hide it in spoiler text), etc.

We have no idea as of yet. It was a feature we seem to have accidentally broken last time, and are as surprised as everyone else that it exists. We'll put it on the list to look into, but it'll be awhile before we've time free to tackle that particular problem.

I think we'll try and put a warning in the FAQ or something. If you see a spoiler thread, do not hit the preview button. At least it doesn't automatically happen just by hovering...

We have no idea as of yet. It was a feature we seem to have accidentally broken last time, and are as surprised as everyone else that it exists. We'll put it on the list to look into, but it'll be awhile before we've time free to tackle that particular problem.

I think we'll try and put a warning in the FAQ or something. If you see a spoiler thread, do not hit the preview button. At least it doesn't automatically happen just by hovering...

Indeed, great minds think alike. I've already dropped one in the GoT specific forum. :)

Thanks for taking the time to explain it (and now it dawns on me that you already went through this with HE, because I am a dunce.)

Archived