[BOOK SPOILERS] EP101 Discussion

Ran

Here's something that I just noticed...

On the map in HBO viewers' guide, King's Landing is situated a little farther to the East than in the books, on the shores of Blackwater Bay. But in the opening credits, King's Landing is right where it is in the books, just at the mouth of the Blackwater Rush. So, for the mythology in the show, which one has it right, the viewers' guide or the opening credits?

I loved the episode. All of the Starks were great (especially Ned, Arya, Robb and Jon). The most impressive outside of the family are Jaime and Viserys, Dany was good as the meek girl she starts out as too.

Praises aside though (I could go on about every boring little detail), I'd say my biggest disappointment thus far is that Tyrion is much less appealing as a character thus far. I didn't care for the whore house introduction, I think it made him come off much ballsier than I remember him from the books. I watched it with my girlfriend who hasn't read anything, and it turned her off to him immediately unfortunately. I thought his best scene was the little exchange he had with Sandor.

The Dothraki wedding was a bit cheesy too, but I didn't mind it so much. It's not as if HBO could or should put together anything massive for that.

Can't wait for episode 2 :)

Loved it. The only thing I wasn't crazy about was "The things I do for love". I guess I didn't picture it being said the way it was, almost nonchalant and whatever.

It's a nitpick though. Can't wait for next week.

That was an irk for me as well. It felt rushed. "The-things-I-do-for-love" *SHOVE*

I wish they would have had him draw it out a bit more for dramatic effect. He is making a sacrifice for his love for Cersei, it would fit to put more into the line.

I loved the episode. All of the Starks were great (especially Ned, Arya, Robb and Jon).

It amazes me how underappreciated Robb seems when ppl talk about the actors on this series. Every time I hear Madden talk about his character you just get the impression that he gets Robb completely. It will be sad to see him die in S3.

in the behind the scenes clip that Deserter is speaking of Lysa may be unattractive, but fat she is not. That bothered me too as she was always described as soft and no longer having an hourglass figure. Guess casting just decided to go a different route, not sure why they felt it necessary though when everyone else appears fairly spot on.

They did go a completely different route, and my initial reaction was that it works very well. She looks absolutely gaunt, and disturbed. Truly like a woman in the midst of an utter mental breakdown. That to me is the important part to convey to the audience. Fat or thin, no difference. Just unattractive and mental.

A really great hour. Everything I expected and more. I think that the best praise is that after that much anticipation, it hasn't let us down.

The acting is superb. I agree that perhaps the only one I'd complain is Illyrion, and then, he's a character that'll probably be gone by the next episode.

There are some minor things, of course, but overall it's been totally exciting. And it looks very promising for future episodes, when they can stop introducing characters and showing expository scenes.

Don't know how long they'll let me keep it but here it is for your enjoyment if you want to give your DVR or Tivo a rest. The opening credit sequence.

Thanks. This has allowed me to notice that the rings that keep tuning on the credits show images of a stag, a wolf and a lion hunting down a dragon. Cool!

It amazes me how underappreciated Robb seems when ppl talk about the actors on this series. Every time I hear Madden talk about his character you just get the impression that he gets Robb completely. It will be sad to see him die in S3.

The Red Wedding is going to break my heart again, as it has many times over again :(

I hadn't been spoiled with Robb's character ahead of time much going in, and I really wasn't expecting to be surprised by anything there. I ended up with such a positive feeling for the character that I think I'll enjoy the character even moreso in the books next time around with that portrayal in mind.

He comes off very strong, kind, and noble. Just like papa Ned :)

I don't know if anybody else mentioned this, because damn, there are already over 200 replies to this thread, but the Hound's armor is awesome, but I think a bit annoying to fight in, especially on horseback. I only say this because his visor, or upper jaw kept bouncing as he rode in the courtyard. :D

Overheard at the viewing party:

"And the Hound's helmet? That was awesome. I totally expect that to show up in cosplay soon."

"Why would they sell it at Costco?? That doesn't seem like the right market."

Overall, I loved it. I am not bothered by the change in Dany's wedding night because it struck me as unrealistic that this girl who's been controlled and abused by her brother her whole life would become, basically, really curious and enthusiastic about sex on her wedding night when she's just been married off against her will to a barbarian who doesn't speak her language and who she's had no time at all to get to know. The book, for the first scene, almost sets it up like a romance novel before she becomes unhappy about subsequent marital rape in later chapters. Others have already said this, but I remember when I first read the books, that came off as the most unrealistic and I'm glad they are treating it slightly different in the show, even if it's for character development purposes and not editorial commentary on women's sexuality in a patriarchal society.

Some are probably going to point to this as mishandling Dothraki culture. There's a lot that's begging to be mangled and/or accurately portrayed, which can sometimes be just as bad when it comes to cultural stuff, race, etc. However, in the greater context of the books and show, I don't think Dany's marriage is that big of an issue, considering that, as someone mentioned earlier, Westeros is just as bad. Some of the previews make me think that Cersei will describe just how bad her wedding night and subsequent sex with Robert was. It's not all that great to be a woman in Westeros, Essos, or nearly any culture I can think of in the books.

Re: Sansa being a brat. Well, I've always been a Sansa defender. After all, I've been a teenager. I'm sure people who disliked her in the books will continue to dislike her. My only recommendation is that with your HBO, catch a re-run or On Demand viewing of Mildred Pierce, because the 14-year-old daughter in that makes Sansa seem positively angelic, like an ideal daughter. ;)

I loved the episode. The pacing was nice and it never felt bogged down with exposition, although the hour passed by incredibly fast. None of the changes really bothered me, but I will say that I liked the books better. Then again, a book is almost without fail better than it's film counterpart, so I didn't expect them to surpass the original telling. Either way, it's a nice complement to the books as it visually popped.

<mod note>

For those who are new or don't post a whole lot on the internet, be aware that what you read as obvious sarcasm in your own writing does not necessarily come across that way, especially since whatever opinion you consider over-the-top obvious sarcasm is probably going to be expressed genuinely by someone else.

So pepper your posts liberally with italic or bold font for emphasis, and don't be afraid to throw in emoticons. We can't read your face or your mind here and it'll help us get to know your personality, which I'm sure is just a font of bubbles, kittens, and unicorns. ;) After all, nothing kills the fun mood of some nice sarcasm with later having to say THAT'S THE JOKE.

</mod>

Thanks. This has allowed to notice that the rings that keep tuning on the credits show images of a stag, a wolf and a lion hunting down a dragon. Cool!

Actually it's a display of Robert's rebellion. First you have a dragon, all mighty and terrorizing the realm. Then you see said dragon attacked by a lion, a stag, and a wolf. And they you see a bunch of beasts bowing to the stag.

After three rereads of the series, I was absolutely satisfied with the very first episode of something I never thought would see "the light of day."

Things I enjoyed:

1) Recognizing every character before they were even introduced.

2) Enjoying the landscape, thoroughly.

3) That was really a fantastic introduction.

4) The direwolves are adorable.

5) Tyrion.

Things I was uncomfortable with, and why.

1) Dany might be portrayed by an adult, but I was very uncomfortable to see her naked. She is still a child in my mind.

2) Not enough Direwolves. I hope there are plenty more scenes with them.

3) Cersei could be a little more shrewd.

4) I would really liked to have seen Tyrion make that tumbling intro to Jon as I seem to recall.

5) Having to wait an entire week.

When Waymer Royce fights the "Whitewalkers" AKA the Others, he was supposed to duel one of them for a short while as a few Whitewalkers stood and watched... In the opening scene, he gets decapitated almost immediately.. THAT WAS LAME AND STUPID!! Definitely the most disappointing scene for me... Also, while were still on the opening scene, HBO got it all wrong and reversed... Will, "the younger looking guy who Ned kills in the show, was actually strangled and killed by Waymar Royce, "the Wight" after he came down from hiding in a tree, according to the book... Gared, the older ranger was supposed to be the one who freaked out and deserted the nights watch and was NOT killed by a White walker......... Also, when Gared gets his head cut off by Ned, Theon was supposed to laugh and kick the head, LOL.. However, This did NOT happen in the show.. But thats a minor detail...

As for the overall characters and look,,, Robb does look to similar to Jon in the show.. The books described him having Auburn hair and in the show its too brown... I also didn't see Theon wearing his Kraken insignia, but that's minor.. Catelyn and Visery's are the worst looking characters I've seen, and they don't act like they're supposed to in the books... Visery's with his horribly ridiculously baaaad looking wig made me sick to watch! His personality is all wrong as well.. He needs to be more insane, crazy, hot tempered, and deranged... If you never read the books and watched the first episode, you'd think he was a stuck up snobby noble... Hopefully, his attitude and demeanor will evolve like by next episode to how he really is supposed to be.. As for Cat, Michelle Fairley is to old and not nearly as attractive as she's described in the books.. Very disappointing.. Jennifer Ehle would have been the better choice, don't quite know why she left the series...

I could not disagree more about Viserys. I thought it was absolutely perfect. He's not a raving lunatic, he's pathetic young man that thinks far too much of himself and is in way over his head. I had major concerns about him going into the show, and he easily won me over. How he calmly disregards his sister's feelings and brutally puts her in place. Also how he attempts to puff up his chest around Illyrio about Drogo, and is oblivious to the fact that he's embarrassing himself.

As for Royce. I could understand why they cut it short there. I could see HBO wanting the Others to be a complete mystery to the viewer to start the show, and it also saves precious time. To have the Royce duel, the walker would almost certainly need to be on full display.

Things I was uncomfortable with, and why.

1) Dany might be portrayed by an adult, but I was very uncomfortable to see her naked. She is still a child in my mind.

2) Not enough Direwolves. I hope there are plenty more scenes with them.

3) Cersei could be a little more shrewd.

4) I would really liked to have seen Tyrion make that tumbling intro to Jon as I seem to recall.

5) Having to wait an entire week.

1. I thought it was enough that Viserys undressed her and made sure to stamp on a good deal of pressure. The following scene which lingered on her breasts a good deal was a bit much. *cough*although being a man, I managed to suffer through it.*cough*

2. I missed them too. Even if theyre not put on display, I would've loved to catch a peek of them scampering about in the periphery.

3. They absolutely need to make sure to highlight Cersei's inner bitch at some point. You could see some of it, but I'd prefer to be bludgeoned in the face with it repeatedly before the season is over.

4. I'd have an aching throat and sore sides if they did :P

5. We've gotta be strong for eachother to make it through the long weeks! Although GRRM has conditioned us quite well for such things ;)

I always thought that both this and Jon drunkenly declaring that he would never father a bastard would both be too awkward for the screen.

As for Royce. I could understand why they cut it short there. I could see HBO wanting the Others to be a complete mystery to the viewer to start the show, and it also saves precious time. To have the Royce duel, the walker would almost certainly need to be on full display.

Also keep in mind that the budget for this show is already quite large, and they probably didn't want to blow a lot of money on CGI for something that is only seen in the prologue and doesn't appear for the rest of the season. Keeping it vague gives the CGI department a much longer time to work out the details.

I'm not a big fan of the current appearance of the Others, but by the time we next see one, they'll have had more time and more fan feedback. I think less is more with TV productions, or else you end up with something totally cheesy like the polar bears on LOST.

Just got back from watching Game of Thrones, finished my philosophy paper that's due tomorrow, and thought I'd hop on here for a bit of discussion! Like a few others on here, I was a bit bugged by the Dany/Drogo consummation, it was much less... tender (?) than in the novel. Viserys might be my favorite character at the moment, he's just such an asshole that my friends and I couldn't help but be giddy when he came on screen.

We had a friend with us who hasn't read the series yet, so he was quite confused by all of the goings-on of the show. We told him not to worry too much, it's the same way in the books (I debated writing names down when I first started reading them) and that we should get more exposition later on in the show. He would go on to help us make our very own Game of Thrones drinking game!

Drinking game rules: someone dismisses the White Walkers-drink, someone is beheaded-drink, dwarf onscreen-drink, boobage-drink, implied or overt incest-drink twice.

Next week we hope we'll be able to make it to work/school on Monday.

Archived