Art of the Title Interview

Westeros

GameOfThrones_World_Map_01_M.pngArt of the Title, a rather cool website focused on the art of main title design, has a terrific interview with creative designer Angus Wall, an Emmy-award winning title designer and recent recipient of the Academy Award for film editing. They go over the Game of Thrones title sequence in some detail.

Best of all, the article is heavily illustrated with concept art and high-resolution stills from the sequence. Plus, the highest resolution glimpse at the map that includes Essos ... including Essos’s eastern coast, on the opposite side of the Sunset Sea. This one’s so cool that we’ve added it to our Gallery, with some comments.

Visit the Site!

Too bad! I was already convinced that we would see Casterly Rock in the scene where Jaime meets his father in episode 6 :frown5:

In any case, the artwork is amazing. If the title credits are great by themselves, some of the designs were even greater. In particular I'm love with the depiction of the Red Keep. Excellent!

Too bad! I was already convinced that we would see Casterly Rock in the scene where Jaime meets his father in episode 6 :frown5:

This. The expanded Lannister roles might have given us excuses to see more of Westeros than we see in the books.

There is also the very likely possibility that the Lannister sigil was created solely to decorate the astrolabe along with the other houses, as seen in the concept art.

I'm really excited for season 2: Pyke, Harrenhal, Storm's End, Riverrun...

Fascinating interview.

I'm still bemused by the map though. The 'sphere' they have is clearly very small, so that might explain how Essos 'wraps around' the whole globe. Realistically, if Essos is the size of Eurasia (roughly) and 'GRRMworld' is 'a bit bigger' than Earth, than Essos's east coast must be a ridiculous distance to the west (7,000 miles if GRRMworld was the size of Earth, more if it's bigger), way off the western edge of any realistically-scaled map with plenty of room for intervening other continents.

Even ignoring that issue, there's still the bizarre landmass to the north-east of Westeros which both contradicts GRRM's statements that Westeros is the only continent that extends that far north and is also far too vast to be Ibben.

Even ignoring that issue, there's still the bizarre landmass to the north-east of Westeros which both contradicts GRRM's statements that Westeros is the only continent that extends that far north and is also far too vast to be Ibben.

It's the southronmost tip of Sothoryos. Your mind is now blown.

It's the southronmost tip of Sothoryos. Your mind is now blown.

Possible, if it wasn't so much a Dyson Sphere and more some kind of torus structure built on rings or layers that passed under one another...

It's still possible with a Dyson sphere.

I don't think so. If Essos wraps right around the inner surface of the sphere west-to-east, starting off the east coast of Westeros and ending just off the west coast of Westeros, then Sothoryos can't wrap around the inner surface north-to-south as well. After passing through the south pole and coming up on the other side of the sphere's southern hemisphere, it'll be blocked by the far side of Essos.

It would be interesting to learn if they put Sothoryos on there, or even locations like Slaver's Bay and Qarth, given we won't see them this season.

I don't think so. If Essos wraps right around the inner surface of the sphere west-to-east, starting off the east coast of Westeros and ending just off the west coast of Westeros, then Sothoryos can't wrap around the inner surface north-to-south as well. After passing through the south pole and coming up on the other side of the sphere's southern hemisphere, it'll be blocked by the far side of Essos.

It would be interesting to learn if they put Sothoryos on there, or even locations like Slaver's Bay and Qarth, given we won't see them this season.

We still have no confirmation that the continent to the West is indeed Essos.

My super-theory is that Essos, Sothoryos and Westeros all connect up on the opposite side of the sphere. IT'S ALL THE SAME CONTINENT. :blink:

This is almost certainly me being dumb or having some sort of bug on my computer, but just where is the interview? When I click on the link, all I get is a video of the title sequence, and nothing else. Or does one have to sign up for sometthing?

This is almost certainly me being dumb or having some sort of bug on my computer, but just where is the interview? When I click on the link, all I get is a video of the title sequence, and nothing else.

So there's no interview if you scroll down a page or two? What happens if you copy and paste the following URL into the address field of your browser:

http://www.artofthetitle.com/2011/05/12/game-of-thrones/

People have had this problem with some browsers. It works fine in Google Chrome, FWIW.

It works fine in Firefox 4.0 and IE 9.0 as well. I see no reason why the link shouldn't work in any browser: The HTML code is valid and the URL is correct.

Who knows, but I've seen multiple complaints about that issue with the site. Something's going on with how it's coded, valid HTML or not.

Oh, I was thinking about the HTML-code for the link on this site :) I'd suggest a browser-update if people have problems with the Art of The Title-site. It might help.

I use Internet Explorer 8. Must be what's causing the problem.

So there's no interview if you scroll down a page or two? What happens if you copy and paste the following URL into the address field of your browser:

That just takes me to the page with the video I mentioned, which scrolls down only a little. But thanks for your concern. :) Hopefully the interview will be on the DVD.

I use Internet Explorer 8. Must be what's causing the problem.

That just takes me to the page with the video I mentioned, which scrolls down only a little. But thanks for your concern. :) Hopefully the interview will be on the DVD.

It's a text based interview, and it is not made by HBO, so I don't think it will be on the DVD. It is pretty easy to upgrade or get a better browser, though.

It's a text based interview, and it is not made by HBO, so I don't think it will be on the DVD. It is pretty easy to upgrade or get a better browser, though.

I don't know if it is the same group (although I am not sure how it wouldn't be...) but HBO has an On-Demand making-of for the title sequence as well, mentioning:

the world is on the inside of a sphere

...if that is not widely known information, I was not aware until I heard him say it.

Archived