[BOOK SPOILERS] Episode 6 Preview

TheEvilKing

Three episodes left, yet there's still so much to happen...Viserys gets what's coming to him, I can't wait!

Three episodes? There's FIVE episodes left. (well there will be four after "A Golden Crown")

The season has 10 episodes.

I was expecting the next episode to have Jon and the recruits taking their vows... but I guess not. :(

That leaves Osha's introduction, Tyrion's trial with Bronn dueling Ser Vardis, Dany eating the horse heart and Viserys's crowning, and please please please please keep the Tower of Joy... it's a very important scene. :(

The one way I could see them doing the ToJ scene, if they do, is starting the episode off in the dream, but the viewer's don't know it's a dream, until after a few minutes, Ned wakes up shaking and sweaty in a bed, being tended to...

I don't really see them cutting to the dream sequence in the middle of the episode...

Hi, I´m new here and not yet familiar with ALL theories, but isn´t the problem with showing the ToJ scene that it would almost have to prove or disprove the R+L=J theory, because it features Lyanna in her `bed of blood`, right? Or the would have to make it so vague that nonbookreaders might not have a clue to what is going on.

If my sentences are a bit off, English is not my first language :dunno: .

Anyway, I am very much looking forward to the crowning and, weirdly enough, to Dany eating the stallions heart. I actually found that a quite captivating scene in the book.

Hi, I´m new here and not yet familiar with ALL theories, but isn´t the problem with showing the ToJ scene that it would almost have to prove or disprove the R+L=J theory, because it features Lyanna in her `bed of blood`, right? Or the would have to make it so vague that nonbookreaders might not have a clue to what is going on.

No, I don't see that at all. I mean, all we've 'seen' in the books through Ned's thoughts are Lyanna lying in the bed of blood, the blue roses, the fight with the knights outside. Nothing shows or says 'hey, new-born kid here! Probably Rhaegar's.' We don't even know that Lyanna died in childbirth, or that she had a child at all. Many of us guess that, but its just a theory at this point.

If my sentences are a bit off, English is not my first language :dunno:

Your English is just fine.

weirdly enough, to Dany eating the stallions heart. I actually found that a quite captivating scene in the book.

Weirdly enough, indeed! :ack:

No, I don't see that at all. I mean, all we've 'seen' in the books through Ned's thoughts are Lyanna lying in the bed of blood, the blue roses, the fight with the knights outside. Nothing shows or says 'hey, new-born kid here! Probably Rhaegar's.' We don't even know that Lyanna died in childbirth, or that she had a child at all. Many of us guess that, but its just a theory at this point.

Well, I guess your right. I just thought that it may be more difficult to show on tv, without giving a lot away. But perhaps I´m underestimating :blush: .

Oh, and I didn´t find the whole heart-eating captivating, just how Dany was pushing through the whole thing, looking at Drogo, becoming a bit more `Dothraki`, in my opinion. Just to clarify :wideeyed: .

I think they'd have to make it clear where the blood is coming from. That is, she has to either have some serious wound (no R+L=J) or be bleeding from childbirth/some complication related to pregnancy. That said, they wouldn't have to prove R+L=J at all--they could just show her dying in childbirth without making it clear whether the fetus or baby survived (bleeding could mean a stillbirth or miscarriage as well as a live birth) or, if the baby survives, that the baby is Jon (though all the book readers would know it was Jon if the baby was shown to survive).

I think "Ned wakes up" confirms that at least some part of ToJ will be in the episode, but perhaps not.

I think "Ned wakes up" confirms that at least some part of ToJ will be in the episode, but perhaps not.

Interesting, I had that exact same thought. When the female figure is standing there looking at him, all blurry, my first thought was 'Yoicks, its Lyanna! This is ToJ!' But of course, it turned out to be Cersei. Rethinking it, Lyanna wouldn't be standing while Ned is lying down at the ToJ, but nevertheless, that was my first thought. Fingers crossed!

The one way I could see them doing the ToJ scene, if they do, is starting the episode off in the dream, but the viewer's don't know it's a dream, until after a few minutes, Ned wakes up shaking and sweaty in a bed, being tended to...

I don't really see them cutting to the dream sequence in the middle of the episode...

Good idea, let's hope D7D had it too.

A couple of clips from Episode 6 are available on the HBO web site: Ned Wakes Up

There's nothing particularly dramatic about a wake-up scene without something happening before he wakes up. So that is a promising ToJ sign. I think we need an intro to Howland Reed so the audience has some context when Jojen and [sister] turn up at Winterfell.

6 episodes in and finally the audience gets to feel...good? about someone's death.

HBOGo and xfinity have already partnered up. If you have a comcast account you can log in to HBO Go.

This is not necessarily true, as I'm having an issue with it right now. It's true that if you have an Xfinity package + HBO, you can use HBO Go. However, I have Comcast digital cable (HD) + HBO, yet I cannot sign into HBO Go because it says something about I'm not authorized by my provider (Comcast) to use HBO Go content. Even when trying to watch on the Xfinity site, it tells me something similar and I cannot watch. But when you click on a video in HBO Go, it says something like "If you have an HBO subscription, you can use HBO Go". So there's some fishy things going and at the least, they aren't being accurate in their wording. It seems ridiculous, as I'm paying the same for HBO as everyone else, and HBO Go is an HBO portal, not a Comcast portal.

Bottom line is currently you MUST have one of the Xfinity packages through Comcast, simply having HBO is not enough.

I don't buy that the scene would be too hard to film.

They could easily do the ToJ scene if they wanted. They don't have to explain who the knights are -- the fact that they are wearing the Kingsguard armor would be enough. All they have to do is include the amazing dialogue from that scene, and right before Ned and his men face off with the Kingsguard, they do a quick edit to Lyanna screaming on a bed of blood with blue roses everywhere.

"Promise me, Ned."

"Lya, I promise..."

Then have Ned wake up.

With all of the added scenes such as Robert/Cersei, Loras/Renly, Varys/Littlefinger(which was 100% fanservice and had zero significance), why don't they have the time to fit the best scene in the book in?

That scene is so epic. It also establishes a romanticism for the Kingguard.

"Our knees do not bend easily," said Ser Arthur Dayne.

"Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with him."

"Ser Willem is a good man and true," said Ser Oswell.

"But not of the Kingsguard," Ser Gerold pointed out. "The Kingsguard does not flee."

"Then or now," said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

"We swore a vow," explained old Ser Gerold.

...which would likely confuse the hell out of anyone who hadn't read the books. Even in the books, it's a bit confusing, I didn't really understand what was happening in the TOJ until I read it 2-3 times, and a shortened version in the tv show would be much worse. People still don't even know all the current characters, throwing in this would only add to the confusion. Plus, here we are 4+ books in and we still haven't really resolved the importance of Lyanna (and the TOJ scene) in a significant way.

I know people want to see the scene, so do I, but I won't be surprised if they cut it out entirely or find another way to show it much later on when it may become more relevant.

I think its a needless worry that bookwalkers are always worried that this-or-that 'will be too confusing' for non-readers. I've seen that same opinion expressed again and again throughout these threads. And yet, reading through the threads that describe non-readers reactions after every episode, I haven't seen a single instance where a non-reader reaction was 'Who was that Ser X and what was he doing there?' Or, 'that whole XYZ scene confused the hell out of me.' Just the opposite, in fact. Viewers understand completely that if a scene is laid out for them (or a character dreams of a promise he made to a girl we don't yet know) that all will be explained in time. In fact, I'm getting the impression that that's half the fun non-readers are having with the series. They've got it down pat by now that everybody in this show is not necessarily who they seem to be, that the words spoken by the characters are not necessarily the truth (in fact, probably aren't true), etc etc., that the surface motivations of the characters expressed by the characters are probably hiding some other ulterior motive. I can't see any non-reader viewer having any problem at all with Ned making a promise to a beautiful dying girl in a dream. Its intriguing! What could it mean? Who is that girl and what did Ned promise her? Tune in next week. Its good tv.

WIC has already confirmed that ToJ scene is not in this episode, and that he's holding out hope that they've moved it to when he's in the dungeon cell.

Bummer. If that's so, then for this episode it would make sense for Ned in his fevered dream to be hearing a woman's voice pleading 'Promise me, Ned. Promise.' He might even speak the answer out loud before fully waking up. 'I promise, Lyanna.' It would explain Ned's confused somewhere-else look we see in the preview as he sees Cersei and Robert standing in front of him, and their intense staring at him in return. It'll also set up the ToJ scene if we are lucky enough to see it in a coming episode.

Bummer. If that's so, then for this episode it would make sense for Ned in his fevered dream to be hearing a woman's voice pleading 'Promise me, Ned. Promise.' He might even speak the answer out loud before fully waking up. 'I promise, Lyanna.' It would explain Ned's confused somewhere-else look we see in the preview as he sees Cersei and Robert standing in front of him, and their intense staring at him in return. It'll also set up the ToJ scene if we are lucky enough to see it in a coming episode.

Why? Why does it have to be that?

A use of Occam's Razor would imply that this scene is simply how the episode starts... Ned waking up. Or this is how we see Ned at first in the episode. It doesn't have to be more complicated than that.

Spoiler for episode 6:

Occam's Razor it is. He just ... wakes up.

Maybe they'll have some reference to it later, I do not know. But it's not in episode 6, in any case.

Archived