Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

• 2 weeks later...

bill,

i need to know more about the space available. there are some serious logistics to producing food for all of these people. i can do it. that is not the issue. but, i do need to know what i am working with.

we have not discussed at all how we want this to run. go ahead and get some ideas together and message me.

Spent this weekend at the NE floating FIlk con, Conterpoint, at the same hotel as Capclave. A few filks about GOT were presented. Sort of a warmup. ;-) Anyway, the hotel venue is a good setup, plenty of parking, too. The con had four meeting rooms, two of which had the folding wall opened as one. And a reasonably sized con suite with balconies on the 12th (top) floor.

Also, please change my reservation to me plus 1 for the head count. It was only a four hour drive from NW NJ so will drive rather than train, and be able to bring supplies of dry or liquid variety if that would help. Just need to know what.

bill,

i need to know more about the space available. there are some serious logistics to producing food for all of these people. i can do it. that is not the issue. but, i do need to know what i am working with.

we have not discussed at all how we want this to run. go ahead and get some ideas together and message me.

I don't think any of us expect you to provide all the food, nor be responsible for all the cooking. That's not fair to you. You need to be able to enjoy this time as well! So please! Let those of us who wish to help, help. Pot Luck works for me. Or assign certain dish types for those who volunteer......Just keep us informed on what the decision is.

thank you very much for the offer, but let me handle the food. I am a professional and whatnot.

I have cooked at the james beard house, with and for many notable chefs and celebrities, have cooked for the Dalai Lama, etc. This is my thing, really. Ask my wife, even cooking with me at home is not that much fun.

I may need help with setup and the like. But actual food preparation I have this in the bag.

thank you very much for the offer, but let me handle the food. I am a professional and whatnot.

I have cooked at the james beard house, with and for many notable chefs and celebrities, have cooked for the Dalai Lama, etc. This is my thing, really. Ask my wife, even cooking with me at home is not that much fun.

I may need help with setup and the like. But actual food preparation I have this in the bag.

What about cheese platters, desserts, or breads?

What beer styles would you recommend that people bring?

The room will be available for you when you get there, the only thing we'll need to know is what time to have people waiting to bring the food up to the Senaca Room. So people who can, please plan to be at the con early to help with the move in... also people willing to help with the move out as we finish. We only have the room until 8... then the next group is in.

beverages? bring whatever anyone wants.

whomever wants to tackle sweets, breads and cheeses please go for it.

i have already enlisted a chef pal of mine to help with the food.

again it will be set up and breakdown that will be the biggest rub.

bill, what time would i be able to get equipment in place? i anticipate setting up the buffet and arriving with the food later.

beverages? bring whatever anyone wants.

whomever wants to tackle sweets, breads and cheeses please go for it.

i have already enlisted a chef pal of mine to help with the food.

again it will be set up and breakdown that will be the biggest rub.

bill, what time would i be able to get equipment in place? i anticipate setting up the buffet and arriving with the food later.

I am pretty sure I can get you in the room by 1 PM.

i will be at work around 6am working on the final touches on the food. most of what i will do will be prepped ahead of time (sausages, etc).

what time do we see this party going down?

I leave that to you and the group. We can start any time that afternoon. The hard time is the clear out which must be done by 8 PM. So if people want to go early, we could start with the convention at 3 or wait until 4 or 5 or 6 PM.

Bill & Chef

Travel plans preclude Mrs Ix and I from bringing much of anything that day but please let me know when you need money and we'll do our part.

that is understandable... I've seen the meat menu... wow. Chef and I are meeting to discuss things in early July. Based on costs of items we'll ask for a small donation towards the cost of the meat for those partaking. (Except for or GOH's.)

I've seen the meat menu... wow.

That's an understatement.

Also, I may be an idiot who missed something really obvious earlier on in this thread, but what day is this happening -- Friday or Saturday?

That's an understatement.

Also, I may be an idiot who missed something really obvious earlier on in this thread, but what day is this happening -- Friday or Saturday?

This is a Friday event. The room I got is booked for other convetion activities heavily. Also I can keep George's and Parris' con scheduling open more easily on early on Friday.

This is a Friday event. The room I got is booked for other convetion activities heavily. Also I can keep George's and Parris' con scheduling open more easily on early on Friday.

Well, shit. That's going to make things interesting for me. If I make it, I will definitely help with breakdown.

Archived