A Thread For Small Questions VIII

mormont

I seem to remember that Daenerys received a prophecy (or warning or curse) that she would not have any more children after Rhaego. Did she actually receive this prophecy? If so, it could have major implications down the line if she wins the Iron Throne but knows she cannot produce an heir.

I seem to remember that Daenerys received a prophecy (or warning or curse) that she would not have any more children after Rhaego. Did she actually receive this prophecy? If so, it could have major implications down the line if she wins the Iron Throne but knows she cannot produce an heir.

She was told by Mirri Maz Duur (sp) that she would not have another child. Or more precisely, MMD told her Drogo would come back when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, and when her womb quickens again. Dany, and most readers, take that to mean she's barren.

In the third Sansa chapter of GoT, page 475, Sansan tells Jeyne Pool of her day at the court: "And later these two brothers came before him, freeriders from the Dornish Marches, and pledged their swords to the service of the king. Father accepted their oaths..."

Do we know who the brothers are?

Balon and Donnel Swann are the only ones I can think of, but Donnel is not mentioned in GoT as far as I know, and I get the impression Balon was already in Robert's service.

EDIT: They are freeriders, so that rules out the Swanns.

In the third Sansa chapter of GoT, page 475, Sansan tells Jeyne Pool of her day at the court: "And later these two brothers came before him, freeriders from the Dornish Marches, and pledged their swords to the service of the king. Father accepted their oaths..."

Do we know who the brothers are? Balon and Donnel Swann are the only ones I can think of, but Donnel is not mentioned in GoT as far as I know, and I get the impression Balon was already in Robert's service.

I don't think so, we never hear anything else about them As far as i'm aware and there's nothing about them on TotH

Do we know who the brothers are?

Balon and Donnel Swann are the only ones I can think of, but Donnel is not mentioned in GoT as far as I know, and I get the impression Balon was already in Robert's service.

EDIT: They are freeriders, so that rules out the Swanns.

I think that it's probable that they either changed sides during Ned's fall, or were killed during Ned's fall.

Why was Cortnay Penrose so determined to keep Edric Storm away from Stannis? Had he somehow learned about Melisandre's plans to sacrifice him?

I'm pretty certain he simply didn't trust Stannis, especially as it's known that his new god is some sort of fire god, and Stannis was pretty insistent.

Why was Cortnay Penrose so determined to keep Edric Storm away from Stannis? Had he somehow learned about Melisandre's plans to sacrifice him?

I always just assumed it was his loyalty to Renly. The boy had been under Renly's protection and Penrose wasn't going to give him up

She was told by Mirri Maz Duur (sp) that she would not have another child. Or more precisely, MMD told her Drogo would come back when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east, and when her womb quickens again. Dany, and most readers, take that to mean she's barren.

An intersting point about that is that Dany hasn't had sex with a man ever since Drogo died, if I remember correctly. So that prophecy hasn't been put to the test. At first I thought Dany sex scene with Irri was gratuitous but now I think it served to show that yes, Dany still has a sex drive, as is expected of most teenagers, but she didn't have sex with a man so that prophecy can't be said to be true or false.

Likely covered before, but I'll be damned if I know good search parameters for it. Anyway...

Red Wedding. Just as Rob gets it, "Jaime Lannister sends his regards". Ummm... Why? Why did Roose, of all people, say this? Why ID Jaime? A couple of things:

1) A final gratuitous slap-in-the-face taunt? Well, that is the picture of gratuitous as it seems planned that all of consequence will be killed. Edmund isn't even there, having been bedded. And why Jaime? Unless it's to taunt Cat for setting him free? Otherwise, Tywin send his regards... Or the Lannisters send their regards... Or Joff (FFS, he's the King and Robb's main enemy) would've been more appropo. So why Jaime? Why at all? I know thematically it sets up Uncat-Brienne. But just such an odd thing to have Roose do and it never struck me until this latest re-read.

2) Some sort of "misdirection"? I never got the idea that such was Roose's style/level of cleverness. And anyway, misdirect who? They'll all be dead.

3) A boosting of intimidation level for Jaime? Again, why? I don't think it was even commonly known that Jaime was down one hand at that point. Even if it was for intimidation, why would Roose come up with it or care to act it out?

Likely covered before, but I'll be damned if I know good search parameters for it. Anyway...

Red Wedding. Just as Rob gets it, "Jaime Lannister sends his regards". Ummm... Why? Why did Roose, of all people, say this? Why ID Jaime? A couple of things:

1) A final gratuitous slap-in-the-face taunt? Well, that is the picture of gratuitous as it seems planned that all of consequence will be killed. Edmund isn't even there, having been bedded. And why Jaime? Unless it's to taunt Cat for setting him free? Otherwise, Tywin send his regards... Or the Lannisters send their regards... Or Joff (FFS, he's the King and Robb's main enemy) would've been more appropo. So why Jaime? Why at all? I know thematically it sets up Uncat-Brienne. But just such an odd thing to have Roose do and it never struck me until this latest re-read.

2) Some sort of "misdirection"? I never got the idea that such was Roose's style/level of cleverness. And anyway, misdirect who? They'll all be dead.

3) A boosting of intimidation level for Jaime? Again, why? I don't think it was even commonly known that Jaime was down one hand at that point. Even if it was for intimidation, why would Roose come up with it or care to act it out?

Because Jaime asked him to ? When they met in Harrenhal, at the end of the dinner :

- Bolton : Give my regards to your father.

- Jaime : So long as you give mine to Robb Stark.

I think he's just fulfilling his "promise" in a manner that also furthers the plot. Two birds with one stone, and a nice bit of foreshadowing on a re-read.

Because Jaime asked him to ? When they met in Harrenhal, at the end of the dinner :

I think he's just fulfilling his "promise" in a manner that also furthers the plot. wo birds with one stone, and a nice bit of foreshadowing on a re-read.

Oooh! Missed that. Thanks. :)

I think he's just fulfilling his "promise" in a manner that also furthers the plot. Two birds with one stone, and a nice bit of foreshadowing on a re-read.

I had thought it was for Catelyn's benefit. She wasn't originally supposed to die at the Red Wedding, IIRC. The plan was for her to be a prisoner/hostage like Edmure. Roose kills Robb and basically announces that it was at Jaime's behest, thereby letting Catelyn know that Jaime had betrayed her and rubbing in her face how stupid it was for her to let Jaime go. Or making sure to keep the Stark-Lannister feud alive and well. Or something along those lines. Or perhaps it was nothing more than passing along the greetings...

Archived