[Book Spoilers] EP109 Discussion

Ran

I REALLY hope they keep Roose Bolton in. He's probably my favorite creepy character of all time. :love:

Don't they pretty much HAVE to keep Roose? I don't see how they can adapt the 3rd book without him, unless they transfer his actions to someone else. And I don't see who else could even do it.

I completely disagree. Troy's battles were terrible. They took a bunch of CGI's characters, lined them all up in one line and made them charge each other with 100s dying every second. War in the ancient world did not happen like that at all. Flanking? What's that? Let's just have one big army charge another big army head on and have them slaughter each other by the 1000. It was as if every arrow killed someone. If the real battle for Troy occured like that, it would have been over in 1 day not 10 years.

Again, watch that youtube clip of the Battle on the Ice from Alexander Nevsky. That's how you properly portray a battle. But the capability to make a movie like that no longer exists so it might be better not to even waste money trying on a tv show. Even if HBO gave GoT 100 million dollars for the Battle of Blackwater, it would look like crap compared to the naval engagement in Ben Hur.

Gladiator had decent battles compared to Troy but even then they were garbage compared to Spartacus.

Spartacus was decent, and I was judging Troy based on the quality/massiveness of the battle, not it's accuracy to the Illiad. And to be fair where could the Greeks flank? The walls of Troy in the moview were like this /-\ The walls prevented any flanking maneuver. And that Battle on Ice clip, it had maybe 30 riders, and 50 spearmen. Hardly a great portrayal of a 8000 person battle.

I don't think people understand how much a battle with actual people vs a battle with spaceships actually costs. This show doesn't exactly have the biggest budget in the world(although it certainly isn't tiny). Plus having to do a battle for actualy gore ups the budget even more. Sure they could use cgi, but then you get something that looks like a crappy history channel video game.

were the Frey's who are to be Catlyn's Wards the nasty little shits. were they mentioned as part of the terms? I heard his squire mentioned and arya promised to marry? was that big or little walder?

She didn't mention them, but neither is the one Arya is to marry. That is a Waldon, and he is squiring to Bolton(?) at Haranhall when he gets the news that he will no longer be marrying a princess. He's in tears and Arya insults the princess (not knowing it was her).

Spartacus was decent, and I was judging Troy based on the quality/massiveness of the battle, not it's accuracy to the Illiad. And to be fair where could the Greeks flank? The walls of Troy in the moview were like this /-\ The walls prevented any flanking maneuver. And that Battle on Ice clip, it had maybe 30 riders, and 50 spearmen. Hardly a great portrayal of a 8000 person battle.

Pay closer attention to the editing. Eisenstein was a genius.

were the Frey's who are to be Catlyn's Wards the nasty little shits. were they mentioned as part of the terms? I heard his squire mentioned and arya promised to marry? was that big or little walder?

Neither. One who was serving as a squire with the Freys of Bolton's force when he took Harenhall. Kind of funny when he encounters Arya and brags that he gets to marry a princess, yells at her, eventually cried that he won't be marrying the princess, and gets in a little scuffle with Arya.

Very proud of everyone. I was expecting explosive sperging over them changing Aemon's relationship to Aerys by shortening the family tree a generation.

lol...I noted it in my first post but I just found it intersting. It just eliminated Jaehaerys who only ruled a few years anyways. As you said, it shortens the tree and ages Aerys up a bit. Not a big deal.

Neither. One who was serving as a squire with the Freys of Bolton's force when he took Harenhall. Kind of funny when he encounters Arya and brags that he gets to marry a princess, yells at her, eventually cried that he won't be marrying the princess, and gets in a little scuffle with Arya.

that's right, I laughed at that.

massiveness =/= quality.

She didn't mention them, but neither is the one Arya is to marry. That is a Waldon, and he is squiring to Bolton(?) at Haranhall when he gets the news that he will no longer be marrying a princess. He's in tears and Arya insults the princess (not knowing it was her).

In the show they called him Waldron. In the books his name was Elmar Frey and we do see him at Harrenhal. He's Lord Walder's youngest sons.

Though in the books, the Freys aren't ugly and Catelyn doesn't care about ugly, she's more concerned about character and child-bearing.

lol...I noted it in my first post but I just found it intersting. It just eliminated Jaehaerys who only ruled a few years anyways. As you said, it shortens the tree and ages Aerys up a bit. Not a big deal.

Almost required since Aemon is clearly not 100 years old.

Plus, children born before Robb having a living great-great-great-uncle seems kind of a stretch. Especially one who just looks 80.

In the show they called him Waldron. In the books his name was Elmar Frey and we do see him at Harrenhal. He's Lord Walder's youngest sons.

Though in the books, the Freys aren't ugly and Catelyn doesn't care about ugly, she's more concerned about character and child-bearing.

I started my CoK reread today. I was going to wait until next Monday, but I got impatient. Been 6 years since the last reread.

The thing about the looks of the Frey women was so immature from Robb---he handled that better in the books. Sucked it up and accepted it as his duty.

Archived