Besides Sam, who is the future Mrs. Jon Snow?

glassgardens

Personally I find Jon's turning down Winterfell and honoring his vows this time around the perfect irony to push the Iron Throne on top of his shoulders. The whole "those who do not want power are most right to wield it" etc. And you're already seeing the transition as he assumes command of the Night's Watch, perfect incubator to mold him into a leader. That and I really want the Wall to fall so the rest of Westeros can get a taste of the Others first hand and find out all their politicking was for naught and only made things worst.

This is a little of topic but whatever...

I could make the argument that if Jon ends up with a relative that could effect the overall reception of the series. At this point incest is seen as an evil thing. Jaime/Cersei, those crazy Targs wedding brother and sister, Theon's shame at Pyke, ect. Certainly it happens a lot in Westeros, but I can't imagine that GRRM would pair a "hero" of the story with a relative. It would just take away the "classic" potential of this story and IMO turn it into some trashy sexual soapbox.

It would explain the build-up she's been given if GRRM knew she was going to be Jon's "special lady." And she seems more his type, based on Ygritte, than others mentioned.

If we are picking a girl for Jon based on Ygritte, I'm surprised that the only other freckled nineteen year-old female fighter with unperfect teeth hasn't been mentioned yet :P I think Brienne will make it into Jon's chapters eventually since Stannis is the closest to him and she's sworn to kill him, so why not?

Just joking. As fascinating as their conversations about honor would be, that's one thing I don't see happening.

Everyone calling for Jon to honor his vows and stay abstinent are assuming there will still be a need for a NW or even a wall by the time the opportunity arises...who's to say the Others aren't banished/ destroyed forever by TPtwP? Even if Jon is not he?

I'm a Jon/Vow shipper, and what it means to me is that..

1. If the Wall still exists, Jon should stay

2. If the Others are beaten, but not destroyed (driven back beyond the Wall) Jon should stay

and finally

3. If the Others are destroyed, there is no trace left of them. I feel that even though the rest of the NW may feel free, Jon won't. The Others were "destroyed" before and they returned. I feel that Jon honor his vows by rebuilding the Wall or re creating the NW to make sure what they had forgotten is never forgotten again.

But I'm not totally closed off to the idea of Jon taking a wife or having children, I'm sure if it happens GRRM will make it work beautifully.

For all of you who are squicked by Jon/Sansa, it's worth pointing out that (1) cousin marriage is totally normal by Westerosi standards and would be far preferable to Jon/Dany in the incest department if R+L=J, (2) they didn't interact much back at Winterfell and barely conceived of each other as brother and sister, and (3) they haven't seen each other since before puberty, which makes a big difference. If/when they meet again they'll both look different and have different personalities from before--Sansa will have become a beautiful, kind, devious(?) lady with a different hair color, and Jon will have become a scarred warrior/leader. In other words, they'll seem like completely different people.

Maybe the posters who are squicked by the idea of them together aren't giving due weight to the fact that they have grown up apart. They last saw each other when they were 13 and 11, after all.

I'm a Jon/Vow shipper, and what it means to me is that..

1. If the Wall still exists, Jon should stay

2. If the Others are beaten, but not destroyed (driven back beyond the Wall) Jon should stay

and finally

3. If the Others are destroyed, there is no trace left of them. I feel that even though the rest of the NW may feel free, Jon won't. The Others were "destroyed" before and they returned. I feel that Jon honor his vows by rebuilding the Wall or re creating the NW to make sure what they had forgotten is never forgotten again.

But I'm not totally closed off to the idea of Jon taking a wife or having children, I'm sure if it happens GRRM will make it work beautifully.

With the right King, maybe those vows could be modified? The Night's Watch has 19 castles along the Wall, with 16 in various states of disrepair from sitting empty. It seems to me that filling them with trusted Lieutenants would be a good thing. I understand not filling them with Stannis' men because they aren't members of the Watch, but maybe having families at the Wall would make it more attractive. They're already trying to re-settle The Gift, why not settle the entire south side of the Wall?

Maybe the posters who are squicked by the idea of them together aren't giving due weight to the fact that they have grown up apart. They last saw each other when they were 13 and 11, after all.

I think you mean 15 and 13.

But besides "not having seen each other since before puberty" I have always gotten the impression that Sansa and Jon just cared very little for each other. Jon has a much deeper connection with Arya and they seem to both mock Sansa in their own little way ("Don't tell Sansa!"). If Jon ends up as a Targaryen and marrying one of his cousins, my bet is on Arya. We have seen how close their relationship already is.

However, I can't imagine that Jon would marry Sansa or Arya in the span the books are supposed to cover. Assuming the last three books follow a similar span on time that the first four did, they will cover another two years maximum. If even that far at all. I just don't see an 18 year old Jon marrying his 14 or 16 year old cousin because he is suddenly the King of Westeros and must take a queen bride.

More importantly, why would Jon ever marry into a family that he is already a part of? It simply isn't practical. If he were to learn any lesson at all from Robb's death it should be that you do not marry for emotional reasons when you are a king. I don't think either Margaery Tyrell or Arianne Martell would particularly suit Jon's character but that should be the least important consideration when making that choice.

Could someone confirm Sansa's age at the start of AGoT for me? I thought she was 11 but there is some dispute about this.

Why would Jon ever marry into a family that he is already a part of?

Good point. But if Sansa marries Harry the Heir and becomes Lady of the Vale and gets widowed, it might make sense for Jon to marry her just so he can get that money and those bannermen. Every other family that has controlled King's Landing (the Lannisters, the Tyrells) had substantial wealth, whereas the Starks have, like, nothing at this point--not to mention the fact that most of their bannermen are dead. So if Jon becomes king he's going to have to marry somebody with a lot of resources. If Littlefinger's plan comes to fruition, Sansa will be the richest widow in the country.

But I see what you're saying and it might be possible for Jon to access those resources without actually marrying her, if, that is, she marries someone who can be relied upon to be loyal to him.

In that case, Jon/Arianne or Jon/Margaery would make sense, though Margaery may not be around by then--it seems that the Tyrells are experiencing a lot of misfortune at the moment. I like the idea of Jon/Asha but I really want her to somehow end up ruling the Iron Isles, which won't happen if she's stuck as Jon's consort in King's Landing.

I like the idea of Jon/Asha but I really want her to somehow end up ruling the Iron Isles, which won't happen if she's stuck as Jon's consort in King's Landing.

I do as well even if she can't offer him very much. They fit together very well though. But as for Asha ruling the Ironborn? That ship has sailed and is not coming back. At best she can be Theon's hand but at that point being Jon's consort probably gives her more power in any case. Jon would actually listen to her, which sets him apart from the vast majority of the Ironborn men.

I do as well even if she can't offer him very much. They fit together very well though. But as for Asha ruling the Ironborn? That ship has sailed and is not coming back. At best she can be Theon's hand but at that point being Jon's consort probably gives her more power in any case. Jon would actually listen to her, which sets him apart from the vast majority of the Ironborn men.

I don't really get it when people say that. If Ironborn's/Euron's rebellion is smashed and Theon dies/is presumed dead/takes the black, I don't see any reason for Asha not to get her birthright and be the Lady of the Pyke.

ETA: I just deleted the part with spoilers, because I have no idea how it falls under the new spoiler policy. I've seen it discussed in General before in spoiler tags, but I don't want to risk it in case the spoiler tags aren't enough anymore. /freaking out

Could someone confirm Sansa's age at the start of AGoT for me? I thought she was 11 but there is some dispute about this.

“Come south with me, and I’ll teach you how to laugh again,” the king promised. “You helped me win this damnable throne, now help me hold it. We were meant to rule together. If Lyanna had lived, we should have been brothers, bound by blood as well as affection. Well, it is not too late. I have a son. You have a daughter. My Joff and your Sansa shall join our houses, as Lyanna and I might once have done.”

This offer did surprise him. “Sansa is only eleven.”

“And in mine,” she blazed, angry now. Why couldn’t he see? “He offers his own son in marriage to our daughter, what else would you call that? Sansa might someday be queen. Her sons could rule from the Wall to the mountains of Dorne. What is so wrong with that?”

“Gods, Catelyn, Sansa is only eleven,” Ned said. “And Joffrey . . . Joffrey is . . . ”

She finished for him. “ . . . crown prince, and heir to the Iron Throne. And I was only twelve when my father promised me to your brother Brandon.”

But as for Asha ruling the Ironborn? That ship has sailed and is not coming back. At best she can be Theon's hand but at that point being Jon's consort probably gives her more power in any case.

Is that set in stone? If Euron gets deposed (which he surely will by the end of the series) won't there have to be another Kingsmoot? I know she struck out at the last one, but would she be barred from running again?

BTW Asha is 6-7 years older than Jon, which isn't a dealbreaker but it would be kind of unusual.

Archived