Who is best suited to rule?

Ser Frank Haven

I'm surprised to not hear more support for Jon Snow in this thread .. he has really grown into role as M&C at the Night's Watch.

I agree. Yeah there was the ... incident ... but that only showed how much change he was actually affecting. Also look at the advice he gives Stannis about how to approach and win over the northern houses. The guy knows his stuff and knows the politics, goals and background of the northern families very, very well.

I'll also put in a good word for Stannis, if he can get away from the red priest nonsense, and Davos.

I do tend to think that the best person to rule is the person who doesn't really want to, or has never really expected to. Think of that blacksmith who became Hand of the King and was awesome at it.

If he could control his sexual urges I would say Tyrion, but since that is not likely I'm gonna go with Jon Snow. He seems to have been groomed for leadership since birth (despite being a bastard), so he fits. I'm also convinced Bloodraven wants him to be King (its him warging Jon's crow, I just know it!), so that's gotta count for something too.

Dany is just too childish to rule, though I suppose that could change. Aegon is older than Jon (or should be if he is real!), yet is far more immature; hungry for glory, prone to temper tantrums, etc. And Stannis is just too stubborn and unflinching. He's a great wartime commander (he'd be a great NW LC), but he would not be suited to dealing with the lords and nobles of the realm on a regular basis like a king has to do in peace time.

I do tend to think that the best person to rule is the person who doesn't really want to, or has never really expected to. Think of that blacksmith who became Hand of the King and was awesome at it.

This, this so much, that's why the first people that come into my mind in these kind of threads are people like Jon, Ned, Davos, people that is not hungry for power and care for the common good.

The people that are generally disliked would make the best rulers. Tywin for instance, also Littlefinger but I think LF would get bored if he had no one to play with anymore. I want to say Tyrion too and he still might, he did very well as Hand, but besides his utter lack of peasant love I'm also not sure he'd be able to make all the really hard decisions. Also for some reason I think Magaery would make a good ruler, I'm a fan of the Tyrell conspiracy theory and if Marge is even half the woman her Olenna is I'm all for the Rose Queen.

To me a good ruler would be someone who works on "the greater good" basis and is at least good enough in the Game not to wind up dead, ie someone who's cunning, intelligent and manipulative so he/she can actually live long enough to do "the greater good" whatever that might be.

I think Daenerys could make a very good ruler but she's still too soft. The squatting in Meereen for her "children" was idiotic and the way she handled her dragons was even more so, she drives one away and the other two become so wild that they kill hundreds of people when they are finally released, how exactly did she plan to take Westeros without her dragons? She accomplished absolutely NOTHING in Meereen, "learning to rule" my left butt cheek.

Jon Snow... hmmm. I'm not a fan. Some of his decisions are cool, like taking the hostages for instance. But the decision to go after Mother Mole's wildlings was a bad one. Letting the Weeper through the Wall is a bad one. Sending all his friends/everyone who was loyal to him away was a bad one. The Alyce Karstark thing was totally interfering in realm politics with no excuse.

Then there are all his decisions that are iffy to me but I don't see that he had much choice, loaning from the Iron Bank (no idea how he plans to repay that) letting Wildlings man the Wall without taking vows and only overseen by like on or two brothers, giving his brothers an option to forsake their vows by following him to battle against the Boltons etc.

Also he clearly sucks at even the Wall version of the Game, he should have been aware that he was pissing off Bowen and maybe that builder dude too, it was pretty obvious.

Robb was good at battles and sucked at everything else which is pretty much stated every time they discuss him. xp

Stannis would make a fair king but the common peeps really don't like him and his black and white world view is not going to help him at all.

Sansa would make a good ruler if she continues her tutelage under Littlefinger and loses some more of her innocence, which I think she is doing since she does not have all that much problem with Sweetrobin taking more sweet sleep even though it's killing him. It also helps that she has seen just how dangerous and devious LF really is, she won't underestimate someone again.

I think Barristan would make a good Hand. He doesn't like the Game but at least his "honor" doesn't keep him from doing the smart thing -kofNedkof-.

Who would be a relectant ruler? We have a lot of characters claiming they only want the throne because it's their duty (Stannis, I'm looking at you!), but afaik no character really tried to avoid power.

all those people who keep on saying 'the person who should rule is the one who doesn't want to rule" and I am like... well people who are ambitious are likely to take an interest in ruling (and seek an education that will help them rule) rather than let advisers do it for them (like Robert Baratheon)...

I think that Daenerys is best suited to rule. She's still learning the difference between being Aegon the Conqueror and being Egg (unlike Jon Snow who was simply told that by Aemon), and yet she inspires loyalty from her subjects and has genuine compassion for the smallfolk.

If not Dany, I'd like to see Stannis or Shireen on the throne.

all those people who keep on saying 'the person who should rule is the one who doesn't want to rule" and I am like... well people who are ambitious are likely to take an interest in ruling (and seek an education that will help them rule) rather than let advisers do it for them (like Robert Baratheon)...

Exactly. There hasn't been one example in the story of a ruler being better because they didn't want to do it. I've already argued this point in another thread and it didn't go very well, but I'll repeat it. Robb was not a better king than Stannis or Dany, despite the fact that they crowned themselves and he didn't.

I dislike quite a bit teenage rulers who turn out to be great inexplicably so often in fantasy and the oversued reluctant leader trope. So no Jon, Dany or Aegon for me.

Apart from LF (he might be a ruthless bastard, but he's not sadistic and he's really smart and a capable administrator), I'd say Stannis. He's experienced with plenty of years being a key figure in Robert's small council, he's smart and he let his avisers speak their mind.

I guess it depends on why these people want to rule. If they want to rule just because they like the power that comes with it and want to employ it for their own ends, that wouldn't make them any good in my mind. A good example for such a person would be Littlefinger. He is out for himself and doesn't give a fig about anyone else. He manipulates people by appealing to their base instincts (like greed) with the sole intention of furthering himself. His education would probably include lectures on how to best cheat people and look innocent while doing it. Yeah, that's the person you don't to rule over you!

If a person wants to rule with the aim to make life better, I guess that's the one you want to give the job to. Not to act for completely selfish reasons takes an honourable person, like Jon. He'd take an interest in what would benefit the realm. He could have the intention (as monarchs) to leave the affairs of the realm well sorted-out to his son/successor to provide him with personal gain and drive. So, obviously no Tywin as he's not one to have any legacy to be proud of, he's only serving his own ends.

I'm not sure btw whether Robert Baratheon really didn't to rule. He liked the benefits that came with ruling well enough, he just didn't feel obligated to put up with the every day work that is also needed (aka tax policy, administration). so you'd want a person who has a stronger sense of duty, even though very few people will relish that aspect of ruling.

I don;t see how people can say that Tywin will kill the common folks ,he will be cruel etc. Tywin was a just hand and was loved by the common folks before his sack of the King;s Landing.Tywin was democratic ,he let his lords talk before saying anything .

Plus all the great lords would have been scared of him, a healthy fear is a must for a long and peaceful rule.

Starks are incapable of ruling the 7 kingdoms.A king has to be cunning in order to deal with cunnig great lords like Tywin and Tyrells(Olenna and group)

Stannis would be a good hand (as someone said) to a king like Tommen who has the persona and would be obedient to his hand

Tyrion is extremely cunning and able but I don;t see how great lords will accept a dwarf to be their king

Jon Snow would have been a good king.Probably the best possible(sorry Tywin)

Jaime too would be good. (post resurrection

Good Hand- King combinations IMO

Tywin- Tommen

Tywin- Jon Snow

Tyrion-Tywin

Tyrion-Jaime

Tyrion-Tommen

Kevan -Tywin<

Stannis-Tommen

Stannis- Jon Snow

Davos-Stannis

Combinations like Stannis-Tywin would be bad because of ego problems between two strong willed leaders.

Dany ,Robb, Joff,Cersei and Robert are proven failures.

TYWIN? Tywin would have been an awful King. Just because he was a ruthless, respected and powerful leader... he didn't give a SHIT about anyone who wasn't House Lannister, or anyone who could affect House Lannister. Westeros needs someone who cares about everyone, including other houses and smallfolk...

Rhaegar would have been a great King, as it was pointed out several times that he was not his father's son in terms of crazy.

Renly would have probably been a good peace time king.

I don't think Stannis is a nice bloke, I don't even like him, but he's evidently a very just man. I'm not sure about him as a King though, because I don't like how much influence Melisandre has over him...what is it with Kings and burning people? (I'm looking at you, Aerys.) Jeeez. So, a Stannis-minus-Mel would be alright. (Does anyone else get really annoyed by his catchphrase "MINE BY RIGHTS"? The Iron Throne is miney mine mine, Storms end should have been mine mine mine, sounds like those seagulls from finding Nemo...)

Jon...I'm a little biased here, because I love Jon, but he's obviously a good leader and a 'bigger picture' kind of guy. Just next time, Jon, (if there is a next time), try and be a little more clear in letting your followers know what your game plan is. Not that it's your fault they stabbed you. Just saying.

I have real problems with the prospect of a Queen Dany. Firstly, the Mereen Disaster, pretty sure we all feel the same way about that...but secondly, all her info on the Usurper and his 'Dogs' she's just swallowed up from the crazy Viserys and even Ser Jorah (who hated Ned). Yeah, Robert might have killed her brother, and the Lannisters the rest of her family, but if she would just LISTEN to Barry the Bold and learn about Aerys...he HAD to go. And a Queen Dany would probably remove the Starks and make Jorah Warden of the North and we just couldn't have that. But, she's got two books to redeem herself...I'd like to see her try and convince us that she's up to the job. But, anyway, Dany does have some good qualities that may or may not resurface.

EDIT- King Beric would have been nice.

<p>&amp;nbsp;

</p>

<p>TYWIN? Tywin would have been an awful King. Just because he was a ruthless, respected and powerful leader... he didn&amp;#39;t give a SHIT about anyone who wasn;t House Lannister, or anyone who could affect House Lannister. Westeros needs someone who cares about everyone, including other houses and smallfolk...<br>

<br>

Tywin was loved by the small folk before the sack of the king's landing. Tywin told Joffrey to pardon the lords who were ready to bend the knee.

thee realm was prosperous and the treasury was flowing with gold when Lord Tywin was the hand. Just because he pwned your boy hero Robb doesn;t mean he wouldn't have been a good king.

src="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/public/style_emoticons/default/bang.gif" title=":bang:"></p>

Renly would have been a terrible king and the realm would have further slipped into debt with all his tournaments and parties .

<p>&amp;nbsp;

Tywin was loved by the small folk before the sack of the king's landing. Tywin told Joffrey to pardon the lords who were ready to bend the knee.

thee realm was prosperous and the treasury was flowing with gold when Lord Tywin was the hand. Just because he pwned your boy hero Robb doesn;t mean he wouldn't have been a good king.

src="http://asoiaf.westeros.org/public/style_emoticons/default/bang.gif" title=" :bang:"></p>

Renly would have been a terrible king and the realm would have further slipped into debt with all his tournaments and parties .

But...he was mean...

Yeah, I know I'm biased towards the nicer characters :)

My response covers my opinion with 2 lines of reasoning

1) The person must be groomed to rule

2) The person must have support and not be too controversial a figure to the other regions

Therefore my rulers would be:

King = Aegon

Reasons - He has been groomed by Jon Connington who was a former hand of the king and Elia being his mother will placate the Martells

Queen = Sansa

Reasons - She has been groomed by Little Finger to play the game of thrones and being a Stark will placate the north. However need to deal with the fact that she's married to Tyrion (Anullment??? Never consumated the marriage???)

Hand = Randyll Tarley

Reasons - He is a Tyrell bannerman which should make Mace and Olenna happy and is a competent leader, strategist and commander.

Archived