[AdwD Spoilers] "Septa" Lemore

No, he would not have brought Lyanna's body because the silent sisters would have boiled the flesh and just sent bones. So, no witnesses except for Howland Reed. The real character, I mean. Not you. LOL.

In Neds POV-Chapers he remembers her dying and and he thinks about her as dead. Unless you claim Ned was schizophrenic, Lyanna is dead.

My view is that she is Ashara. It may well be that she knows, and Connington doesn't, that Aegon is a fraud. Someone had to bring a child across the Narrow Sea to the Free Cities and it wasn't Connington who believes Aegon is Rhaegar's son. That really leaves "Septa" Lemore or the Halfmaester as the likely candidates and she gets the nod in my book.

"...Septa's robes scream of Westeros and might draw unwelcome eyes onto us." She turned back to Prince Aegon. "You are not the only one who must needs hide."

Given this quote, I think it's fairly clear that Lemore is le'more than she seems! Sorry, couldn't help it. :)

Not sure who Lemore is (I doubt it's Ashara Dayne, although I've been wrong before enough to where I don't believe my own theories half the time)...

But thinking about this quote, she could have just been referring to the fact that Jon Connington was very publicly presumed dead and they needed to avoid having him recognized for a while yet. Wearing septa's robes would draw the attention of people familiar with Westeros and increase the chances of Connington being recognized... and that is actually more likely than anyone recognizing Prince Aegon (whether or not he's real), to be quite honest.

She doesn't necessarily have to be worried about being recognized herself, in other words.

If Lemore were Ashara Dayne GRRM mightn't want to give it away so easily by pointing out her purple eyes.

Which reason would _Tyrion_ have had not to mention purple eyes though? It's hardly credible that Tyrion would describe Lemore's hair, her skin, her age and her attractiveness but fail to mention Ashara's most striking feature in her "haunting purple eyes". When he fails to mention the color of Lemore's eyes it should be because he hasn't seen it -- which is not credible at all -- or because they are simply unremarkable.

And it would be even more strange for Tyrion not to mention Lemore's purple eyes since she had been pregnant once and Young Griff has about the same rare eye color, which should naturally have led to Tyrion speculating.

Septa Lemora is pretty unconventional - the swimming naked and no embarassment in the body thing. I can not see in the series any hints that Ashara had this kind of personality - and it is an unusual thing to expect from a royal waiting lady.

She was Dornish though, northern Dorne admittedly but still they do seem to have unconventional attitudes towards nudity and sex.

Clearly Septa Lemore is another of the approximately 40,000 women that Ned Stark got pregnant before and during Robert's Rebellion.

Clearly. There are a heck of a lot of little "Jon Snows" out there... and here we thought that Robert was the one going about fathering bastards at every turn.

In Neds POV-Chapers he remembers her dying and and he thinks about her as dead. Unless you claim Ned was schizophrenic, Lyanna is dead.

Ned certainly believed he saw Lyanna die. I would have agreed the Lemore = Lyanna theory was totally crackpot before GRRM brought Mance back after what appeared to be a completely unambiguous death scene, but I don't think it can be ruled out.

Crackpot Theory: Lady Lemore is Ellyn Tarbeck

Evidence: random highborn lady pops up with Prince Aegon, who can it be? No proof Lady Tarbeck died at Tarbeck Hall when Lord Tywin put down the Reyne/Tarbeck rebellion; people who've been thought dead have a habit of turning up again. If she survives the destruction of Tarbeck Hall, where else can she go but the Free Cities? Of course, a false identity would be in order, I have no doubt that Tywin Lannister would have wanted her dead should she pop up across the sea, for slighting and taking up arms against House Lannister. She can't hide that she's Westerosi, so she pretends to be a Septa, and eventually connects with Varys and Illyrio.

Motive: Restoration of her House and vengeance would be possible with a Targ sitting the Iron Throne, as they would be hostile to her enemies, the Lannisters.

Problems with this theory: it's really reaching, and depends on when the rebelion happened for Lemore/Ellyn to be around 40. Timeframe would also have to be right for Tyrion not to recognize her, hers being a house in the West under Tywin.

The only reason I thought of this is when I was going over possible 'Ladies' who could be Lemore, I remembered Ellyn Tarbeck laughing at Genna Lannister's betrothal to Emmon Frey. Crazy theory but w/e.

I don't buy the Ashara=Lemore. Ashara had simular eye color to the Targs if not the exact shade. I believe Tyrion would notice her eye color, partly due to its uniqueness and the fact that her and young Griff would have nearly the same eye color. This may cause people to say she was Young Griff's mother. Her identity is a mystery and suspicious, and this could mean a few things like she has a secret identity, its just not that important, or she is a red herring.

Easy explanation for why Tyrion did not discuss her eyes:

He was too busy staring at her tits!

For example, I have no idea what color are Carmen Electra's eyes despite many hours studying her turtles.

Yeah, Tyrion's description is notable by its specific exclusion of her eye color. He mentions eye color with virtually every other woman he is involved with.

Grasping at straws, I think. Almost none of the other details match, either, and Ashara's eyes are distinctly purple (even more so than YG's) so there would be no mistaking it. Tyrion spends weeks on the boat with her; it's impossible that he'd avoid looking her in the eyes the entire time.

Lemore could be someone significant, but I'd frankly be happier if she wasn't. Maybe she's just a Septa who had an affair or some other scandal, faced expulsion and was therefore easy to hire for a multiple-decade job?

Tryion's observational and descriptive thoroughness is as much an argument for Ashara as against. He describes almost everyone he meets quite extensively with eyes being mentioned eg. meeting with widow, penny etc. The only times he is circumspect is when it's a character we the readers know and GRRM wants to drop hints rather than full reveal eg. Ser Jorah. The lack of mentioning the eyes in his description almost screams out that the eyes are important and that mentioning them would shoot the load too soon. I understand it may seem cheap to some but lets be honest, GRRM uses several "cheap" tricks. Penny's intro and the repeated cliffhangers standout particuarly from this book.

I think Lemore is Lyanna and Aegon is her son. As soon as we found out Young Griff is Aegon I started trying to figure out who all his friends really were. Lyanna was my first thought for Lemore. Then I thought L+R=A. As for Jon Snow's parents, I think he could either be Ashara and Ned's child or Lyanna could have had twins. Though the latter seems more likely.

It would have been difficult but Lyanna could have faked her death. Ned must be pretty upset, so its possible that he could have been tricked. I'm sure they would have the fleash stripped off of her before they started the long journey north.

As for the fact that she has a Septa's training she could have learned it from Rhaegar while on the run or as a means for survival she could have stayed at a Sept. So Lyanna is possible.

Archived