[ADwD Spoilers] The Biggest Badass in the Series?

jurble

Now, before ADwD I was not a Victarion fan. Dude just seemed rigid and boring.

But after this book, holy shit. My opinion of the dude is completely changed. I mean, holy shit, Melisandre would probably be be aghast at his human sacrifice. Like, the Red Priest didn't even ask Victarion to burn people AFAIK. He just decided that burning people alive was the cool thing to do, to keep R'holler on his side. Just the fact that the man has apparently no second thoughts is just amazing. When he thinks, "Lol, so what?" when he hears that Dany is married is just amazing. Really, the impression of Victarion in this book, and the impression from the previous books is completely different. Maybe the dude is just more at home on the ocean?

Lord Manderly is definetely the biggest badass in the series ;)

Not sure about Victarion...he's a bit too anvilicious and one-dimensional. Badassness usually implies a positive element. Vic just generally treats everybody else like crap. Same as Ramsay, who definetely is not badass either.

Lord Manderly is definetely the biggest badass in the series ;)

Damnit that was gonna be my line.

Personally I'm starting to think Barristan Selmy is the biggest baddest. He's past 60, in an incredibly foreign land, surrounded by enemies, with almost no local power base of his own (basically Ned Stark in book 1 X 10) and yet manages to successfully navigate his way through it. He's still deadly as a fighter, he knows how to deal with court intrigue even if he doesn't like it, and he has real honor. All-in-all from his memories and actions it seems like he is the one archetype knight in the entire series; the kind that all those songs Sansa used to love are based on.

Manderly was really rocking the ruins of winterfell. The whole Bolton wedding I thought something crazy was going to happen, we had false musicians (Mance and his spearwives), porkpies (I first thought they were poisoned, and Manderly wanted everyone to go down), but eating Freys and feasting like it was the last day - badass.

I liked the Victarion chapters. The iron captain indeed. I think what makes him so badass is the casualness of his deeds and orders, while still being a human being suffering from disgrace, an infectous wound, the perils of the Valyrian sea and the affection and openness toward his dusky woman.

I liked the Victarion chapters. The iron captain indeed. I think what makes him so badass is the casualness of his deeds and orders, while still being a human being suffering from disgrace, an infectous wound, the perils of the Valyrian sea and the affection and openness toward his dusky woman.

See, the casualness of the horrifying things he does is what makes it amazing. If Ramsay suddenly found religion and decided to begin performing human sacrifice, he'd probably enjoy killing the victims. The fact that Victarion doesn't take joy OR displeasure in burning people alive is just amazing. He just seems to think, "Well, this God is helping me out, I better pay him."

Hmm if I had to say the first one that came to my mind it'd be either Victarion Greyjoy or Mance Rayder.

Victartion's Iron Fleet is the biggest collection of badasses in the seas. They captured every ship, lost barely any men to enemy blades and he breaks chains just like Daenerys. His human sacrifice was harsh but necessary, R'hllor is helping them across the sea and he must be paid. Plus I loved that small scene when the Maester says some of the ironborn used him as a woman, and Victarion just slammed a knife on the table and said "There's how you make it stop."

Mance Rayder is definitely a contendor though, if not first than definitely second. He survived the Battle of the Wall, stole into Winterfell and played for Roose and Ramsay Bolton. Plus I like his confidence and easy attitude, he isn't afraid to stand up to kings and lords and he can fight with the best of them.

Lord of the Night

The two badasses who dominated the book were def Lord Manderly and Ser Barristan (I especially loved his nonchalant recount of how he killed all of the guards unarmed, snuck back into the city, and watched Ned's head being sliced off disapprovingly.)

Question: Brain hurts, about to study again, but how exactly do we know the wedding guests had Frey pie?

Question: Brain hurts, about to study again, but how exactly do we know the wedding guests had Frey pie?

He served them to the Freys first; 3 dead Freys, 3 "pork" pies (human flesh tastes like pork, apparently); he asked for a song about the Rat Cook.

I was really impressed by Roose Bolton's long chat with Theon - such a ice-cold mf'ing player of the game. He's what Doran Martell thinks he is.

I was really impressed by Roose Bolton's long chat with Theon - such a ice-cold mf'ing player of the game. He's what Doran Martell thinks he is.

AGREED. Roose was great in that scene. It was probably the best "chat" in the novel. I loved his words about Domeric. And totally agree about the Doran comparisons.

The two badasses who dominated the book were def Lord Manderly and Ser Barristan (I especially loved his nonchalant recount of how he killed all of the guards unarmed, snuck back into the city, and watched Ned's head being sliced off disapprovingly.)

:thumbsup:

Archived