The Wedding At The Twins

Lucreel

Yes, it was pretty clear to me in the moment I read that it was Roose Bolton.

I read the wedding chapter two days ago and I was furious. I knew that Robb was going to die since too many parts in the book suggested it, but I think it would be later, maybe in Moat Catlin, but never in this damn wedding. The Catelyn death was even a bigger shock, I really like Cat and she dying thinking that all his sons except Sansa were dead was really cruel.

Damn Martin, I hope you don't kill Jon Snow! :commie:

Roose steps out before Edmure and Roslin's bedding, and then a man in dark armour and the pink cloak of House Bolton returns with Jaime's regards - who could it be, I wonder? :o

Before I reached the Red Wedding, I was spoiled to the extent of having heard someone say "Oh god, the Red Wedding" so I knew that there was something called the Red Wedding and that it was a major event. I also think I wound up mentally associating it with Masque of the Red Death, and so assumed it would be a bloodbath. I spent most of the first half of the book praying it would be Joff's wedding and being terrified that it was going to be Edmures.

I think the forewarning blunted the blow of the Red Wedding actually happening, but it made for some really excellent tension as both weddings drew closer and I knew one was going to end badly for the participants. It sort of reached a crescendo as all of the little signs at the Red Wedding started popping up that unease Cat and clues me into the fact that, yes, it was going to be this wedding.

This same exact thing happened to me as well! Even once the chapter started, I was still not fully convinced that this wedding was the Red Wedding. As soon as Cat put her hand on that guy's shirt and felt his chain mail beneath, I was like... oh shit, THIS is the Red Wedding!

I was not yet a book reader when Ned was executed (on the show) and that really hit me hard... I was really down the next day from that. The Red Wedding was shocking, but I am more MAD now than SAD.

I was so angry after this chapter I couldn't sleep. Had to read another 3 chapters!

But now I think about, it was an awesomely brave piece of story telling and extremely well done. I had guessed Robb was to die but didn't see the Catelyn murder coming.

Now I'm just intrigued as too see if/who carries out Robb's wish of making Jon his heir.

When I first read Ned's execution, it was quite a shock. The second time, not so much, because I expected it.

The second time reading the Red Wedding was about as much of a shock as the first time, despite my expecting it. It was just a rotten, rotten thing to happen, trumping even Joffrey's (may he rot in pus) vile order to execute Ned.

Also, I forgot the fate of Grey Wind from the first time, so that was another bummer. I don't know if that was given in detail, but I expect the direwolf attempted to come to the aid of Robb and came to his end that way.

I was so angry after this chapter I couldn't sleep. Had to read another 3 chapters!

But now I think about, it was an awesomely brave piece of story telling and extremely well done. I had guessed Robb was to die but didn't see the Catelyn murder coming.

Now I'm just intrigued as too see if/who carries out Robb's wish of making Jon his heir.

I was so angry I nearly finished the book.

I, unfortunately, was told by my sister of Robb's fate while I was still reading Game of Thrones (and not because she read them, she hasn't picked up any of the books, but read the synopsis of all of the books online). So, I kept wondering when it would happen, but when that rolled around I knew it had to be it.

Somehow, not even the eventful fate in the wedding after that could even cheer me up

Ugh. Thank heavens for this forum! I just read through the Red Wedding scene Friday evening and was so traumatized, like others I see who have contributed to this thread, I had to step away for a bit. I had no forewarning.

From the end of GoT, there's no doubt the series is going to be a veritable hack and slash frenzy and that absolutely any character is fair game. Sometimes, though, the exits are still shocking. I'm with others, too, who felt inherently that Robb was doomed - didn't like it one bit; it was a nagging suspicion, none the less - but the Robb and Cat combo was a double-whammy and just wrenching.

Thankfully, I'm not alone in my upset and have found motivation within this thread to collect myself and keep moving forward. Phew. Appreciated!!! Onward.

Ugh. Thank heavens for this forum! I just read through the Red Wedding scene Friday evening and was so traumatized, like others I see who have contributed to this thread, I had to step away for a bit. I had no forewarning.

From the end of GoT, there's no doubt the series is going to be a veritable hack and slash frenzy and that absolutely any character is fair game. Sometimes, though, the exits are still shocking. I'm with others, too, who felt inherently that Robb was doomed - didn't like it one bit; it was a nagging suspicion, none the less - but the Robb and Cat combo was a double-whammy and just wrenching.

Thankfully, I'm not alone in my upset and have found motivation within this thread to collect myself and keep moving forward. Phew. Appreciated!!! Onward.

Theres not a person on this board, whether they read that scene 11 years ago or 2 months ago like me. That don't feel exactly you did/do right now. Depending on how long ago you read ACOK, Theon had a dream basically depicting Robbs fate, what happens at the Red Wedding. So it was one of those things George Martin told us long before it happened, it was just up to us to interpret it properly or to believe it at all.

i also notice this was your first post Welcome, be careful roaming the site you will come across spoilers for the next 2 books everywhere you turn.

I had to put the book down and curse G.R.R Martin for a few minutes. I could understand at an abstract level why he does it, it makes the writing more engaging to know that main characters are not invulnerable, but it really cut deep, I had grown really attached to them :(

I had to put the book down and curse G.R.R Martin for a few minutes. I could understand at an abstract level why he does it, it makes the writing more engaging to know that main characters are not invulnerable, but it really cut deep, I had grown really attached to them :(

...and I have since learned not to allow myself to become too emotionally attached to characters. Between deaths of characters that I end up coming to adore, and then others turning into people I'm not so sure I support the decisions they begin to make.

Here's to hoping no more characters I like (but refuse to love.... :frown5: ugh) die, or stray too far from the good path.

...and I have since learned not to allow myself to become too emotionally attached to characters. Between deaths of characters that I end up coming to adore, and then others turning into people I'm not so sure I support the decisions they begin to make.

Here's to hoping no more characters I like (but refuse to love.... :frown5: ugh) die, or stray too far from the good path.

That's hardcore. It's almost like you're being hardened along with the characters who have to endure and survive in Westeros, like you're being sucked in with them. Maybe that was the author's intent.

Archived