[ADwD, MK SPOILERS] Where are the dragon Eggs?

Early Earl

By the way what happened to Lord Butterwells Egg. I believe Bloodraven took it. At the end of TMK Egg tells Dunk he and his brothers all have dragon eggs. Dunk asked something like even Lord Bloodraven has an dragon egg? Then EGG (Aegon Targaryen) seems to get upset and tells Dunk NO Bloodraven does not have a egg because he is a Bastard

By the way what happened to Lord Butterwells Egg. I believe Bloodraven took it.

um... the midgets that were at the wedding - they stole it while everyone was too busy blaming some poor bastard at the Tourney. Dunk mentions how the privy in the room could fit someone tiny, and the stink from the dwarf in the very end

Now, the question is, who hired the entertainment! or did they just steal it to make money for themselves

It is a likely inference that BR absconded with the dragon egg with the help of the entertainment. Seems to me that this could be the source of the 'you will fly Bran' messages. He has a dragon egg and a super warg with green seeing ability. That is as cool as having a psychic, tandem-headed Asian war elephant. Bet it!

It is a likely inference that BR absconded with the dragon egg with the help of the entertainment. Seems to me that this could be the source of the 'you will fly Bran' messages. He has a dragon egg and a super warg with green seeing ability. That is as cool as having a psychic, tandem-headed Asian war elephant. Bet it!

Although I'm still keen on the idea that Drogon's egg is Lord Butterwell's, I have to admit that it would blow my everlovin' mind if Bloodraven has the dragon egg up north and is able to hatch it and have himself or Bran warg it.

Although I'm still keen on the idea that Drogon's egg is Lord Butterwell's, I have to admit that it would blow my everlovin' mind if Bloodraven has the dragon egg up north and is able to hatch it and have himself or Bran warg it.

Perhaps sacrificing Jojen in some fire would hatch it. If Bran will warg a dragon, Danys will have to come a rather long way so I doubt it will be Danys.

By the way what happened to Lord Butterwells Egg. I believe Bloodraven took it. At the end of TMK Egg tells Dunk he and his brothers all have dragon eggs. Dunk asked something like even Lord Bloodraven has an dragon egg? Then EGG (Aegon Targaryen) seems to get upset and tells Dunk NO Bloodraven does not have a egg because he is a Bastard

Yes, I remember reading that part and thinking well he has an egg now dosen't he. So I believe the bastard Bloodraven made sure that he has an egg and stole Butterwells.

That would blow my everlonin' mind too, I wonder if he really has something like that in mind, it could even be a different egg, their are so many not accounted for.

I'm loving these theories, but it strikes me as odd that Dany would be given three eggs. And by Illyrio, no less. Why give the lot to Dany, when Illyrio knows full well that Aegon exists? It makes sense from the romantic perspective of storytelling: "Oh! Dany has all three eggs, so the men of the world must come to her and vie to be the other two head! Tally ho!". But that seems completely illogical. Why would Aegon not be given an egg by Varys/Illyrio as well? I think he must have one, at least. Dany's three would account one for herself, one for Viserys, and one for the unborn Rhaego, but then it seems silly that one would not simply be given to Viserys.

So my question is one of numbers and intended owners. Why does Dany have three eggs and Aegon (apparently) none when both of them are being backed by the same two individuals?

Further, Dany hatched all three eggs, which complicates things immeasurably, as up until now, every Targaryen was given an unhatched egg, not a full-fledged, fire-breathing dragon.

So my question is one of numbers and intended owners. Why does Dany have three eggs and Aegon (apparently) none when both of them are being backed by the same two individuals?

Illyrio might have originally intended for Dany to sell those eggs to support the invasion, as that was the purpose Jorah (and Viserys) originally pointed out. Aegon and Griff were pretending to be sellswords, so giving them a dragon's egg before they hooked up with the Golden Company would have been inviting too much attention, were someone to spot the egg. And we know Illyrio sent a number of chests to Griff whose contents haven't been opened and revealed yet---there could easily be more eggs inside those chests. Dany has three eggs, maybe Illyrio gave Aegon seven eggs, and those eggs are still hidden away?

Aegon could not be given an egg, because it would be a hint to everyone that he is a Targaryen which Varys and Illyrio are trying to hide. Illyrio only gave the eggs the dany because he thought they had been turned to stone. He even says something along the lines of, " if i knew the eggs could hatch i wouldn't have gave them to her.

If he thought they wouldn't hatch, he could easily have given one to Aegon. And I don't buy the theory that it would have hinted at him being a Targaryen. Maybe in Westeros that theory would fly, but not if he was in Essos. New dragon eggs would cue that, but I never got the impression that Illyrio thought Dany's were the only "petrified" dragon eggs left. They were given as rare gifts, symbollic of the Targaryens to Dany and the Westerosi, but not so in Essos, where it is a symbol of old Valyria and the far east. But if people thought that dragon eggs were so ridiculously rare that these could potentially be the last three left, petrified or not, there should have been way more of a fuss over them, and they would certainly not be items that you could price on a trade market, as Jorah and Viserys seemed to think. Not to mention, there would have been more threat of them being stolen. I would almost hazard to say that if those eggs were so rare that they were possibly the only ones in existence, they would merit a similar amount of fanfare to the hatched dragons.

And I don't buy the theory that it would have hinted at him being a Targaryen.

Who said they would hint at him being a Targaryen? In Essos, dragons aren't equated with the Targs. Dragon's eggs are extremely rare and valuable. If a poor sellsword and his son were carting around dragon's eggs, it would have drawn attention from people wanting to steal those eggs, it wouldn't have pointed toward Westeros.

Who said they would hint at him being a Targaryen? In Essos, dragons aren't equated with the Targs. Dragon's eggs are extremely rare and valuable. If a poor sellsword and his son were carting around dragon's eggs, it would have drawn attention from people wanting to steal those eggs, it wouldn't have pointed toward Westeros.

Know Face Man did, just above my post. And I'm not saying Aegon had an egg from the moment Varys smuggled him out of King's Landing, but I think it is more than plausible that he got one or more later on in life. Certainly, it wouldn't be too difficult to hide one on a ship. And I agree with your earlier post that perhaps there is one or more eggs in the chests sent to him later, but I don't think it is too difficult to believe that Aegon had an egg prior to meeting Tyrion. It's not like they would be carrying it around under one arm shouting "I have an egg! I have and egg! I have an egg, heyheyheyHEY!".

I'm sorry Blandish, but you seemed to be the type of person that over thinks and over looks what is right in front of you. Dragon eggs might not say Targaryen to some but any noble or high bred man or women would certainty know HISTORY and HISTORY shows that for the last 500 YEARS the only people with DRAGONS or DRAGON EGGS were the TARGARYEN.

So if Aegon had a egg people would wonder.

Now how can you even argue with that. I'm sure you will try tho.

And like i said he thought they wouldnt hatch. What would be the point to give one to Aegon?? Just to say hey here's a Dragon Egg, we are trying to hide you but oo yea here's an egg,lol.

He gave them to Dany to make himself look good. As a wedding gift. If he knew they would hatch he would have gave then to Dany and her Brother in secret so no one would even know about them.

I'm sorry Blandish, but you seemed to be the type of person that over thinks and over looks what is right in front of you. Dragon eggs might not say Targaryen to some but any noble or high bred man or women would certainty know HISTORY and HISTORY shows that for the last 500 YEARS the only people with DRAGONS or DRAGON EGGS were the TARGARYEN.

So if Aegon had a egg people would wonder.

Now how can you even argue with that. I'm sure you will try tho.

In Essos, the place where Griff and Aegon were hiding, dragons are associated with Valyria. Not with Westeros, a completely separate continent that most people in Essos haven't even seen. The Targaryens haven't even had living dragons for over a hundred and fifty years. In Westeros, Targ = dragons. In Essos, Valyria = dragons. And there's no evidence that the Targs were anything special at all in Valyria prior to the Doom. Not to mention, most people in Essos probably have no idea who the Targaryens are. Essos sees Westeros as a primitive backwater, so even educated people wouldn't be spending their time learning the history of said primitive backwater. A person who saw Aegon with a dragon's egg wouldn't think "Targaryen", because they, unlike the Westerosi, wouldn't associate dragons with one particular family. They'd probably try to steal the egg, which is why giving Aegon an egg openly would have been a bad idea. But nobody who saw a guy with a dragon's egg would just naturally assume the guy was the scion of a particular Westerosi family, because that particular Westerosi family isn't considered "dragon central" in a place like Essos, where a massive dragon-centric empire, with countless dragonriders, had its heyday.

Not to mention, the idea that "HISTORY shows that for the last 500 YEARS the only people with DRAGONS or DRAGON EGGS were the TARGARYEN" is just blatantly false. Illyrio apparently had three dragon's eggs to give to Dany, yet nobody in Essos is speculating that he's a Targaryen.

isn't there some reference in the books of Stannis looking all over dragonstone for a hidden cache of targ dragon eggs?

Several references because that was where the Targs kept the ones they had remaining that came before the conquest (mention in the dunk & Egg stories about the older eggs being kept there). He never found them however but they could still theoretically be there waiting for someone to find them.

Sorry tze but your wrong. The Doom of Valyria happened 500 years ago. Its said the only reason that the Targaryens lived was because they were on Dragonstone Island the far most outpost of Valyria. Its said they had the last 3 Dragons in the world (Aegon V and his 2 sisters each had one).

You keep saying in Essos people will think this and people will think that, but you have no idea what your talking about.

The fact is GRRM doesn't really tell us much on how the people of Essos think.

Yes I'm sure Essos people think of Valyria and think of Dragons, But I'm even more sure that since the Targaryen are the last House/Family of Valyria that almost everyone thinks of Dragons and Targaryens together.

Several references because that was where the Targs kept the ones they had remaining that came before the conquest (mention in the dunk & Egg stories about the older eggs being kept there). He never found them however but they could still theoretically be there waiting for someone to find them.

In the Epilogue of a DWD Sere Kevan Lannister is talking to Mace Tyrell. Kevan asked him if The Knight of Flowers found anything on DRAGONSTONE Mace responds with " No wealth was found on Dragonstone, I promise you. My sons men have searched every inch of that damp and dreary island and turned up not so much as a single gemstone or speck of gold. NOR ANY SIGN OF THIS FABLED HOARD OF DRAGON EGGS"

Archived