A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

Hi everyone - 1st post.

I’m sure this was covered elsewhere but I can’t find it… What makes the new winter so much worse than the previous one? The previous winter ended a decade ago, well within the memories of even some of the younger characters. Presumably, the Night’s Watch fought the Wildings/wights/Others 10 years before and yet everyone acts like it was ancient history. In 10 years’ time the Wall castles were abandoned, the Night Watch reduced to virtual impotency and the usefulness of obsidian forgotten. Okay, I know I’m missing it - but what’s the explanation?

Hi everyone - 1st post.

I’m sure this was covered elsewhere but I can’t find it… What makes the new winter so much worse than the previous one? The previous winter ended a decade ago, well within the memories of even some of the younger characters. Presumably, the Night’s Watch fought the Wildings/wights/Others 10 years before and yet everyone acts like it was ancient history. In 10 years’ time the Wall castles were abandoned, the Night Watch reduced to virtual impotency and the usefulness of obsidian forgotten. Okay, I know I’m missing it - but what’s the explanation?

The Others don't come with every winter. The last time they invaded was 8,000 years ago, according to legend. That's what makes this particular winter so scary: this time around, the Others are actually coming.

Okay, thanks. But that leaves me with a question about the obsidian wrapped in the (probably night's watch) cloak. You wouldn't think that any fabric would last 8,000 years, especially in a seasonally wet climate. So there must have been a time in the not-so-terribly-distant past where someone who knew about the Others buried the weapons. It just seems like a pretty important thing to lose track of in a couple of hundred years (or however long it takes for the fabric to get old but not decomposed), especially since the "legend" of the Others was alive and well.

Okay, thanks. But that leaves me with a question about the obsidian wrapped in the (probably night's watch) cloak. You wouldn't think that any fabric would last 8,000 years, especially in a seasonally wet climate. So there must have been a time in the not-so-terribly-distant past where someone who knew about the Others buried the weapons. It just seems like a pretty important thing to lose track of in a couple of hundred years (or however long it takes for the fabric to get old but not decomposed), especially since the "legend" of the Others was alive and well.

I always assumed it was BenJen who discovered it, and then he and his party died at some point, possibly with him turning into Coldhands.

I always assumed it was BenJen who discovered it, and then he and his party died at some point, possibly with him turning into Coldhands.

I assumed the same. That Benjen's last ride from the wall he found the horn and obsidian things somewhere out there. Then, when they were certainly caught, he buried it and ran off.

But doesn't that imply that Benjen knew the significance of the obsidian weapons even though nobody back on the Wall did? Seems like something's missing.

Sam didn't know the significance either, until he took a leap and stabbed an Other with his obsidian dagger. Perhaps Benjen discovered the usefulness of obsidian under similar circumstances.

ADWD Spoiler

Benjen may also have received advice from the Children of the Forest.

It's my first post here as far as I remember so first - hi everyone.

The thing I can't get my head around came to me after my recent re-read o AGoT and it seems nobody else has any problem with it. It's pretty simple - Arya, in her last AGoT chapter, avoids a Lannister trap waiting for her aboard Wind Witch. The question is: how did she managed to get there? Aren't the docks supposed to be outside the city walls? How did she get past the Mud Gate?

It's rather me or the rest of the world missing something?

It's my first post here as far as I remember so first - hi everyone.

The thing I can't get my head around came to me after my recent re-read o AGoT and it seems nobody else has any problem with it. It's pretty simple - Arya, in her last AGoT chapter, avoids a Lannister trap waiting for her aboard Wind Witch. The question is: how did she managed to get there? Aren't the docks supposed to be outside the city walls? How did she get past the Mud Gate?

It's rather me or the rest of the world missing something?

She got out through the tunels she decowered when Sirio send her to chase cats in RK

The three people that are pulling the strings are, in my opinion, Varys & Ilyrio on one side, and Littlefinger on the other.

I understand LF motivations (ambition), as well as Ilyrio's (greed), but what are Varys motives for Targaryen restoration? What's in it for him?

Also:

Why Varys and Ilyrio hide to Viserys and Daenerys that they have a nephew?

If Varys is for Targaryen restoration, why Varys actually goes on with the assasination attempt against Dany?

My answer for this two is that Varys and Ilyrio actually don't care about Viserys and Daenerys, they

were all about Aegon from the beginning, and used them to better hide Aegon.

Thank you so very much. Why did I think Theon was in there? So the visions are exactly accurate or just possible futures? The thing about Rhaego was obviously wrong or outdated.

*ADWD spoiler*

Theon will probably be the flayed man standing on the rope bridge at Pyke, prophesied by the old woman in Aryas PoV during her time with Donddarroin. Mummers dragon might refer to the baby switched with Aegon Targaryen

Is there a place on the board to discuss the Dunk and Egg stories? I just finished reading The Hedge Knight and I was hoping to discuss the story. I've tried to search the boards, but the search doesn't seem to work.

You'll have to use the General forum.

The three people that are pulling the strings are, in my opinion, Varys & Ilyrio on one side, and Littlefinger on the other.

I understand LF motivations (ambition), as well as Ilyrio's (greed), but what are Varys motives for Targaryen restoration? What's in it for him?

Also:

Why Varys and Ilyrio hide to Viserys and Daenerys that they have a nephew?

If Varys is for Targaryen restoration, why Varys actually goes on with the assasination attempt against Dany?

My answer for this two is that Varys and Ilyrio actually don't care about Viserys and Daenerys, they

were all about Aegon from the beginning, and used them to better hide Aegon.

There's a major theory that:

Varys is a secret Blackfyre, and that he is Serra's sister. Serra is Illyrio's wife, and then perhaps Aegon is their son, so Varys/Illyrio are plotting for a Blackfyre restoration for family reasons.

The theory is that Varys had no choice but to setup the assassination, however he made sure it would fail by warning Jorah.

Let me apologize in advance if this was asked in some earlier thread. Frankly, I didn't know where to post this question.

The question which popped into my mind after a 2nd read of Clash.

For sake of argument: R + L = J...(I realize Arya isn't aware of this possibility.)

ACOK: Arya I, p.27, last paragraph.

Does Arya have a "crush" on Jon, other than Bro/Sis relationship? Arya is the only "sibling" given a gift (Needle) at his departure for the Wall.

Tnx.

The 2 kids are unusually close (as brother and sister) because they both feel like outcasts in the family. Jon feels that way because he is a B****** and Caitlyn treats him horribly and loathes the sight of him. Arya feels like a misfit because she is a tomboy and angers Caitlyn constantly. On the other hand, Ned seemed to love those 2 kids enormously but it was Caitlyn's wrath that united them and drew them to each other. They loved each other ferociously -as siblings!!

Cat made many comments about Arya and Jon having the "Stark" look to them too. It infuriated her that Jon looked like Ned's son more than Robb, Rickon and Bran did. I always thought Ned had a MUCH closer relationship with Arya and Jon . Maybe Cat fostered this division too, as she was adoring to Tully'ish red-haired kids: Sansa, Robb, Rickon and Bran.

He gave her Needle because that's what her heart desired most- a sword of her own. She loved to watch the males practicing swordplay and he knew how much she wanted to learn to use it. He didn't give Bran anything because he was in a coma. He did later tell Tyrion to tell Bran he could have all his stuff at Winterfel, after Bran gained consciousness.

The 2 kids are unusually close (as brother and sister) because they both feel like outcasts in the family. Jon feels that way because he is a B****** and Caitlyn treats him horribly and loathes the sight of him. Arya feels like a misfit because she is a tomboy and angers Caitlyn constantly. On the other hand, Ned seemed to love those 2 kids enormously but it was Caitlyn's wrath that united them and drew them to each other. They loved each other ferociously -as siblings!!

Cat made many comments about Arya and Jon having the "Stark" look to them too. It infuriated her that Jon looked like Ned's son more than Robb, Rickon and Bran did. I always thought Ned had a MUCH closer relationship with Arya and Jon . Maybe Cat fostered this division too, as she was adoring to Tully'ish red-haired kids: Sansa, Robb, Rickon and Bran.

He gave her Needle because that's what her heart desired most- a sword of her own. She loved to watch the males practicing swordplay and he knew how much she wanted to learn to use it. He didn't give Bran anything because he was in a coma. He did later tell Tyrion to tell Bran he could have all his stuff at Winterfel, after Bran gained consciousness.

That was Rickon that got all of his stuff.

As for a possible Jon/Arya ship, you should dig up my debate with dragonfish from May or June in the RLJ thread. We hashed out the various merits of it pretty well.

Archived