A Thread for Small Questions XI

Stubby

Quick Q: when Sansa is whisked out of KL by Dontos et al., they meet the rower, "Oswell" -- a tall, older, gangly guy with white hair and a big hooked nose. Sansa says there's something oddly familiar about his face.

I'm flakin'. Do we ever figure out who this guy is? (It's probably readily obvious and/or plainly laid out and I'm just having a seriously flaky day.)

I guess this goes here.

When Bran weeps, *does* a weirwood weep as well? Then, has anyone looked at when someone notices a weirwood tree and how they react to it/it to them?

Then

At the end of Bran's chapter in DWD

he sees a woman go to a pool and birth a baby and ask the old gods for vengeance. Who is this?

Quick Q: when Sansa is whisked out of KL by Dontos et al., they meet the rower, "Oswell" -- a tall, older, gangly guy with white hair and a big hooked nose. Sansa says there's something oddly familiar about his face.

I'm flakin'. Do we ever figure out who this guy is? (It's probably readily obvious and/or plainly laid out and I'm just having a seriously flaky day.)

Yeah, he's the Kettleblacks' father.

Edric Dayne is Lord of Starfall IIRC

Marie

I'm pretty sure that Starfall was mentioned in GoT. Didn't they say that Ned took Dawn back to Starfall, and there's another hint that Jon was there at some point. Ashara Dayne was mentioned a few times as well.

It's in GOT, just before Tyrion returns to Winterfell with Yoren. The key point is that when all hope seems lost, the hero finds the Children of the Forest, who aid him in defeating the White Walkers.

My question - what did Joffery do to Tommen.? In AFFC, Tommen tells Jaime that he used to do something when Joffery... and then he trails off. Is there any other evidence about this? Does anyone else have the exact quote?

No need to be explicit is there?

Um... None in particular, I believe. Maybe he meant simply injustice, cruelty and dishonor in general?

The only children we know of that Aerys directly killed (or ordered to kill, which is the same) are the Darklyn kids after the Defiance of Duskendale. We know that at least one of them liked to torment him while he was a captive.

A far-fetched idea would be a reference to Lyanna, but I don't think she was considered a child by the time she died.

The same children as at the Water Gardens

was the alchemist in the prologue of a feast for crows jaqen hagar? i just finished the prologue, and i don't remember much of what follows. so i could be asking a question that gets answered simply later in the book.

I am hoping this thread giets picked up when we rejoin Sam.

GOD BLESS YOU the alchemist is the guy I also think is the New Improved Jaqen H'ghar

xxxxx ooooo been driving me nuts! I went to find the New Jaqen description and then forgot where I came from.

Pate bit the coin just like Arya's victim and therefore this happened AFTER Sam arrived at the Citadel

TY TY TY TY!

Marie

Yeah I remember something like that too. I'm doing a series reread and I'm about 75% ASoS. Reading this time around i've noticed that he seems to make the claim about Cat quite a few times. He even says it to Sansa when they are on the boat escaping KL. Since littlefinger seems as if every thing he does is part of some bigger plan it just got me wondering what the significance of this claim may be.

But I could be reading too much into it...?

I marked all the times Littlefinger lies while I was rereading. Maybe he is just a big fat liar

Darkstar is a Dayne of High Hermitage, which is a branch of House Dayne, but not the Daynes of Starfall. According to the Wiki.

Starfall was the home of Ashara Dayne and Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who have both been mentioned many times.

I have a statement that says Darkstart is also of Starfall. In AFFC paperback p432 "...I give you Ser Gerold Dayne a Knight of Starfall". However the appendix says he is a knight of High Hermitage. Perhaps one is part of the other. Gerold is a cousin of Edric. Arthur is Edric's uncle. Ashara is Edric's aunt (Arthur's sister)

Lord Beric was promised to Edric Dayne's aunt, Ashara Dayne. As far as I can tell, Barristan was in love with Ashara but she was seduced at the Harrenhal tourney in the year of the false spring and had a stillborn child by Ned. The lady who rescued Ned STARK was a fisherman's daughter named Wylla - perhaps she was his feigned mother and the stillbirth was a fake as well. Saying she was a fisherman's daughter in one part of the book and a servant of the Daynes since before Edric and Jon were born needs a little checking if I can find the passages. Seems contradictory

The constant coughing, the fact that it's been a feature for a long time and the coughing up blood suggest TB to me. Having said that tuberculosis is reasonably infectious and no-one else seems to have it so it may be a partially fictionalised variant or some sort of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.

Cancer or tuberculosis or other chronic infection. COPD is pretty nonproductive unless there is pneumonia and it is almost exclusively a smokers disease. TB isnt THAT infectious

I have a statement that says Darkstart is also of Starfall. In AFFC paperback p432 "...I give you Ser Gerold Dayne a Knight of Starfall". However the appendix says he is a knight of High Hermitage. Perhaps one is part of the other. Gerold is a cousin of Edric. Arthur is Edric's uncle. Ashara is Edric's aunt (Arthur's sister)

Lord Beric was promised to Edric Dayne's aunt, Ashara Dayne. As far as I can tell, Barristan was in love with Ashara but she was seduced at the Harrenhal tourney in the year of the false spring and had a stillborn child by Ned. The lady who rescued Ned STARK was a fisherman's daughter named Wylla - perhaps she was his feigned mother and the stillbirth was a fake as well. Saying she was a fisherman's daughter in one part of the book and a servant of the Daynes since before Edric and Jon were born needs a little checking if I can find the passages. Seems contradictory

I am sure this has been addressed as it comes from one of the rich veins of cookies in the book - the visions of the dwarf woman at High Heart. A man with no face was associated with a man on a swinging bridge. This suggets a faceless man was used to kill Balon Greyjoy. This solves the question of Euron's exquisite and revelatory timing in arrival.

Again with the Faceless men, I expressed doubt that they were from the House of the god of many faces - but am contradicted by the Kindly Man. However: There must be more to them than answering prayers, or the prayers are made of gold sometimes. IIRC it takes a lot of $$ to buy a Faceless man of Braavos. Also maybe dont just answer prayers for death. The Alchemist wanted the key to the Citadel. MAybe to kill someone eventually however, must be said. Sam needs to watch himself.

Having difficulty replying about the info concerning Beric Dondarrion. Wasn't he promised to the other Dayne sister, Allyria, and not Ashara?

Yes, I'm pretty sure that Beric was betrothed to Allyria. He definitely wasn't betrothed to Ashara, since she'd been dead for fourteen years.

Archived