August 2011 reading thread

Calibandar

Quick question, I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this in, but I was wondering if there were any advanced reviews for:

Circle Tide by Rebecca K. Rowe

Seed by Rob Ziegler

The Departure by Neal Asher

The Savage Knight by Paul Lewis

Reamde by Neal Stephenson

Necropolis by Michael Dempsey

Theme Planet by Andy Remic

Babylon Steel by Gaie Sebold

Please let me know if you have heard anything or if I should post this in a different thread. Thanks!

It is a little schlocky, but it's great at the same time. There's a few pop culture references early in the book that I hope don't age the book, otherwise it could be a timeless novel.

Did you feel bad when Bartman said he had no trouble getting through RSURS on page 7? I think you have to be getting close to the turning point...

:lol:

The prose isn't that... dense through most of the book, but there are passages that are even heavier than that. I chose that one because it was a bit on the heavier side, it's also an important moment for the main character, and I think it lets prospective buyers know what they're getting into.

It took me awhile to get into the book partly because of the prose and partly because work has been crazy - it took me seven days to read the first 80 pages and three to read the last 220.

No, it didn't make me feel bad, REG. Different strokes for different folks, and all that. I finally was able to sleep last night, so maybe I can get it done today and tomorrow. (Sleepy, addled brain plus Red Seas is a terrible, terrible idea.)

Looking forward to Last Werewolf now, but will save it for September. Way over my book budget this month. Oops.

I breezed through Graham Joyce's The Silent Land in about a day and even though I enjoyed it, I don't feel as though it is among his strongest work. It is a decent novel with great atmosphere, but it was predictable and not the most absorbing of stories. This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year, so I am quite sad that it ended up somewhat disappointing.

Started Embassytown last night. When my eyes aren't glazed over from the sheer amount of babble some passages hold, it is a good read.

So after much searching I was unable to find the thread in which several posters were saying to skip the prologue of The Folding Knife. I went back and read it, and I'm not really sure why it was included. Yeah, it sets it up as a tragedy, but if KJ Parker is as relentless as hir reputation around here would indicate, why not build throughout the book and then punch the reader in the gut? There's no reason to left the reader off the hook like that. Maybe I've just read too much Abercrombie...

I breezed through Graham Joyce's The Silent Land in about a day and even though I enjoyed it, I don't feel as though it is among his strongest work. It is a decent novel with great atmosphere, but it was predictable and not the most absorbing of stories. This was one of my most anticipated reads of the year, so I am quite sad that it ended up somewhat disappointing.

Your feelings are pretty much a mirror of mine from when I read it last year. It was a well crafted book, but sooooo disappointing.

New Model Army by Adam Roberts. Not quite as well written or as funny his previous book Yellow Blue Tibia but its still an interesting read with a very compelling narrator. It didn't really end though rather than just fade away.

Onto WolfsAngel by MD Lachman wich is a cracking read so far. Moody and doom laden. Also The Dragons Path by Daniel Abraham which feels pretty lightweight by comparison although I'm only about 20 pages in so far.

Started on The October Horse by Colleen McCullough (Masters of Rome series). I loved all of the books in this series. She is a bit partial towards Ceasar, but it doesn't bother me that much. Sulla is my absolute favourite ;)

After catching up on some embarrassing things I won't bring up, started The White Luck Warrior, so I can finally participate in those Bakker threads that STILL DON'T MAKE ANY SENSE EVEN THOUGH I READ THE FIRST 4. Ahem. Seriously. Good stuff though.

Archived